• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Moving into management...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Congratulations and good luck. My only advice is everyone is different so people need to be differently sometimes, don't micromanage and really try to maintain a personable demeanor. I'm not saying you are or aren't any of those things already. I also have no desire to manage but this is just what I've seen work in the the corporate land environments I've been in.
Hockey coach, right? Some people need to be pushed, some people break if you push them. React accordingly.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
It’s in peoples basic nature to want to help. If you can inspire people to want to help you, they will.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The best managers I have had and the way I tried to emulate all took the viewpoint of there being a bulk of work that needed to be done among the entire team, manager included. My team helps me get my job done. As the manager I was responsible for ensuring that the team had everything they needed to get it done and at times that meant me stepping in to do the work that would normally be done by other members of the team.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Congrats on your new position.
1. Don't be afraid to train people, and that sometimes includes your boss.
2. Keep up with the latest technology, don't fall behind, in fact you should be ahead of the rest of your team.
3. I think someone else said use the 5 words "how would you do it" and I agree those words can make a team member feel valued.
4. Be kind and think before you speak.
5. To protect your people and yourself make sure you have a paper trail, document, document, document.

Sponsor