• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Movies, favs and duds

TS
pete

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dud: New Lion King. I loved the original, I would watch it multiple times a year, it was a reall pick me up of a movie when I was down. The new one was just flat, no emotion at all and the soles w/o Sir Elton were bleh.

really funny, people seem to love it or hate it. Our oldest loved the old one, likes the new one a lot, our middle panned the new one. Same opinion stated adding the redone soundtrack (songs) weren't near as good as original.

TS
pete

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We started actor theme viewings ... currently Russell Crowe

Gladiator
Cinderella Man
A Beautiful Mind
3:10 to Yuma

all pretty good for a Kiwi raised Aussie. ogsmile Heard him in interview and seems pretty normal guy. Noted he turned down due to conflicts the role of Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
On Golden Pond
Outlaw Josey Wales
Blazing Saddles
Dancing with Wilves

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Submarine movies...I tend to fall asleep
Spent many days watching movies while punching holes in the North Atlantic on a ballistic missile sub. Even stayed wake watching Das Boot. Caddyshack was hands down the favorite. Reading the movie opinions hand written by sailors on the inside of the film boxes were hilarious. Hunt for Red October was eerily realistic.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Recommend The Farewell. To me it was as poignant as it was funny, but that's my unique perspective as a first-gen American. Stars Awkwafina, from Crazy Rich Asians, in a completely different type of role. She's great.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'd like to see Crazy Rich Asians.

Looks like the shawshank redemption has an anniversary coming up so it will be in my local theater for 1 night. Thinking of checking it out. Also the original Halloween from 1978 will be in theaters in this month. It's been remastered so I'm really stoked about this as this is a classic to me.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
At sea we always liked watching The Cruel Sea (vintage) or Das Boot, for variety, The Man Who Would be King
Personally

Comedy Faves _ Young Frankenstein, Blades of Glory, Cedar Rapids although short films of Buster Keaton are simply killer laughs
Westerns - 3:10 to Yuma, the newest True Grit, Pale Rider and The Long Riders
Sci Fi/Horror - any of the Alien series and the original The Fly (which gave me nightmares as a kid with Vincent Price)

Great Thread. Just Saw the conclusion of It, enjoyed it. tons of Jump Scares.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Some old westerns worth viewing and reviewing:

Shane - from the 1950s (Alan Ladd). Gem of a movie
The Magnificent Seven - the original with Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, etc.
Rio Bravo - even Dean Martin did a great acting job.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

give us some ozzy 'westerns' we might have missed

TS
pete

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Like the oldies but too found remake 3:10 to Yuma quite enjoyable.

TS
pete

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Spent many days watching movies while punching holes in the North Atlantic on a ballistic missile sub. Even stayed wake watching Das Boot. Caddyshack was hands down the favorite. Reading the movie opinions hand written by sailors on the inside of the film boxes were hilarious. Hunt for Red October was eerily realistic.

My cousin was on the Archer Fish (now decommissioned) if I recall, a hunter sub ... he had the same sentiment.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Death of Stalin is great. If you liked Veep and want to learn about Russian post war history while laughing a lot it's almost perfect.

Avengers Infinity War - the very zenith of superhero flicks
Avengers Endgame - the shark jumping, self absorbed nadir of the same

James

Out There
Instructor
Was “Crazy Ivan” really a maneuver?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

Nah I've been half rewatching some of the earlier Avengers movies and realise that I didn't like them nearly as much as individual movies - too much shoehorning of everyone in. I'm tempted to revise my opinion of Infinity War as that was a spectacle that was turned up to 11 from start to finish but probably not as fun as I thought at first viewing. Endgame just wasn't any fun. Not compared to Captain Marvel or the Guardians or Thor or Antman movies and certainly a po faced dinosaur compared to Deadpool. Better than Venom of course which stank to high heaven.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...too much shoehorning of everyone in...

Yeah, IMO, if you ever watch any Marvel movies and find yourself thinking something like "...wait, why wouldn't Iron Man be there to help too?" just stop. Because you're about to ruin things for yourself. And then the opposite issue with Infinity War and Endgame.

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
I can happily watch almost any 50's black and white sci fi featuring critters or aliens set in the high desert such as The Blob, Them, The Monolith Monsters etc along with the great modern take on this theme... Tremors.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Was “Crazy Ivan” really a maneuver?

Yup. (From Wikipedia)

During the Cold War, one submarine would frequently attempt to follow another by hiding in its baffles. This led to the practice of "clearing the baffles", that is, turning to observe the blind spot and detect any followers. Related maneuvers included the "Crazy Ivan", a hard turn to clear the baffles and position the submarine to attack any followers, and "Angles and Dangles", a five-hour process of rapid direction and speed changes to ensure that all items aboard were properly secured for hard maneuvering and would not fall or shift suddenly, producing noise that the enemy could detect.[1] The baffles-clearing maneuvers undertaken by Soviet Yankee-class submarineswere dubbed "Yankee Doodles."[2]

Tom Clancy is very good at insuring accuracy in this sort of thing.

I like Yankee Doodles.

Sponsor

Staff online