• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mounting Fees

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I was wondering what shops are charging around the USA for binding installation? I know that some shops charge based on what you purchase.

Complete outfit Skis, Boots, & Bindings = ?
Just Skis and Bindings = ?
Just Boots = ?
Boots and Bindings = ?
Just mounting all your stuff = ?
Readjusting bindings for new boots = ?

Add any other combo you can name.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm in a two shop non skiing market.

My own gear, not purchased from shop - $50 at both.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was wondering what shops are charging around the USA for binding installation? I know that some shops charge based on what you purchase.

Complete outfit Skis, Boots, & Bindings = ?
Just Skis and Bindings = ?
Just Boots = ?
Boots and Bindings = ?
Just mounting all your stuff = ?
Readjusting bindings for new boots = ?

Add any other combo you can name.

No need to make it more complacted than it is.

System test/calibration: $30
Mount:
System Ski: $30
Fresh Mount: $40
Remount (that requires pulling off old bindings, and plugging holes: $50

All include a system test.

YCMV.

http://www.plinyequipment.com/ the motivated at home tech solution to mounting skis.

What about testing the binding, calibrating it?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I think most people who are willing to mount their own skis do not feel the need to test it. I feel entirely comfortable mounting the binding, setting the DIN to wear I want it, and skiing on it. I routinely ski a DIN far less than 3+ and the reality I set certain binding certain way to compensate for know release or lack of release tendencies. I ma not saying people should not have their binding tested, and I am just saying that it is never needed to test the binding.

No liability since they are my own skis. If something fails I can only blame myself aka personal responsibility.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think most people who are willing to mount their own skis do not feel the need to test it. I feel entirely comfortable mounting the binding, setting the DIN to wear I want it, and skiing on it. I routinely ski a DIN far less than 3+ and the reality I set certain binding certain way to compensate for know release or lack of release tendencies. I ma not saying people should not have their binding tested, and I am just saying that it is never needed to test the binding.

No liability since they are my own skis. If something fails I can only blame myself aka personal responsibility.
Yes, most people who are willing to mount their own skis. But the vast majority of the skiers out there are not. It falls under the category, if you have to ask...you don't want to do it yourself.

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
I find it interesting that a full mount is only $10 more than a test. Something's screwy. I guess the cost is more for lawyers than for work.

Personally, I've been using a hand drill and Wintersteiger bits, sans jig. Works fine if one's careful. And I don't worry much about testing. As I understand the indemnification system, part of it means that the actual release value won't be far off from the indicated release value. I'm sure people have noticed that in the rental and demo shops, employees just use a screwdriver to get it right in the little window and then send you out on your merry way without a torque test.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
In Billings, MT there are five places that will mount bindings. If someone brings us a pair of skis and bindings, the charge is $35, system or flat. That is the going rate in Billings. Same charge if someone brings in boots and already mounted skis that require remounting. If someone brings in skis and buys bindings, or brings in skis and bindings and buys boots, or buys skis and bindings, there's no charge for mounting. If a complete stranger comes in and wants their bindings reset because they got new boots that are a different BSL, the charge is $10. If someone buys new boots and their bindings have to be reset or moved, there's no charge.

We've had people bring in some amazing garbage. Some guy last season brought in a horrible pair of crappy rear-entry boots and wanted us to fix them, all four sole blocks were missing but the screws were still there. He claimed he had no trouble with his bindings. People drop stuff off at our shop for the ski swap. We had skis brought in with mud caked in the bindings, bases that looked like someone took an axe to them, boots that looked like they had been worn for several miles of hooky-bobbing on dry pavement.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I checked on this in the DC area about 3 years ago at 3 different shops. $95-100 to mount bindings, system or not, on skis not purchased there.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Adjust and test = $25
Mount and test = $35
Adjust and test if you bought your boots from us = N/C
Mount and test if you bought your boots from us = N/C (I think)

I just do the work and I'm going from memory on the prices I've seen on the tickets.

We don't distinguish between mount and re-mount.

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
No charge if someone buys them from us (which never happens in-store, but happens all the time off our website)
$50 if we do a mount (and the required function test)
$30 if we do just a function test

If I have to adjust a binding, I have to function test it if it isn't new (some companies want us to function test new bindings, but not all). Amazing how many people want to ski some old X-scream and rent boots for the day because their buddy loaned them the skis; I have to function test it if I adjust their binding. They quickly realize that $30 is better spent as $35 renting a pair of Fischer Ranger 90's for the day.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
No charge if someone buys them from us (which never happens in-store, but happens all the time off our website)
$50 if we do a mount (and the required function test)
$30 if we do just a function test

If I have to adjust a binding, I have to function test it if it isn't new (some companies want us to function test new bindings, but not all). Amazing how many people want to ski some old X-scream and rent boots for the day because their buddy loaned them the skis; I have to function test it if I adjust their binding. They quickly realize that $30 is better spent as $35 renting a pair of Fischer Ranger 90's for the day.

Mmmmm, Rangers.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've mounted all my own bindings freehand using clamps, templates traced from other skis, etc since I moved to Durham. The closest ski shop is almost 45 minutes from my house. I'd likely have to drive there and back TWICE and pay them to mount bindings.. That ends up being 2-3 hours of driving and time out of my available free time. So, I'll just spend 45 minutes doing the job myself and live with any slight imperfections.. One set came out noticeably off center awhile back. Drilled THROUGH one of my kids' $40 used K2 Juvies that may or may not ever get used. I have a wood block on the bit to set the depth but the chuck rattled loose and moved it. For the most part, the stuff I take my time on comes out OK though. I'd happily pay someone else $50 to do the job if that only involved a 10 minute drive to drop off and pick up.. in an area of town where I was frequently passing by anyway. It's the lost time that costs me more than the fifty bucks..

EDIT, we do have an REI that is closer, but still not a part of town I frequent and not sure the tech there would be any better with skis. Bikes and camping gear are their main gig there. They don't sell skis.

Last edited:

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Based on my limited experience in the Philly area, it is always more expensive to get mounting done at local ski shops, and, it takes longer, as the Gorilla of Philly shops, Buckmans, does all mounting in a central location. For the few times I had binding work done in a shop near a major ski area, pricing is lower and turn around is very fast. I attribute it to competition Plus, they do not seem to get upset if they do not sell either the ski or the binding, I do dislike the sometimes significant extra charge when they are not the supplier. . FWIW, I would never have bindings mounted by a shop that did not retail the specific manufacturer.

But, given the expenses required to ski, I don't mind paying for professional installation.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Xela, I'm sure you are kidding, but the price would not likely be $10. The liability waiver, indemnification list and certification of techs is already keeping the cost down as it (hopefully) is deterring frivolous law suits.

It takes me about 20 minutes to mount a pair of new skis and test them; I measure twice, drill once. At $10 per M&T, I'd be generating $30 an hour (best circumstances). That doesn't leave the shop owner much room for profit. For remounts you can easily add 10 minutes just for removal of the bindings and filling the old holes. Then you have to determine where the binding can be remounted without conflicting with old holes. Plates are becoming a bit of an issue these days as some are 'hostage' requiring you to use the binding that the plate was designed for. This makes the mounting trivial as they are pre-drilled for pre-determined mounting points BUT if someone brings in a ski with a hostage plate and a binding that isn't compatible there is a lot of hand-holding explaining why they need XYZ binding for XYZ plate. Then there are the problems of some plates now incorporating metal sections and of course the inevitable plate mounting screws; both these scenarios require careful planning to make sure the binding gets mounted appropriately without conflicting with the plate's screws.

So for as easy as mounting bindings seems to be, for mounts other than on brand new skis, there are lots of things that can complicate it.

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
@Xela, I'm sure you are kidding, but the price would not likely be $10. The liability waiver, indemnification list and certification of techs is already keeping the cost down as it (hopefully) is deterring frivolous law suits.

It takes me about 20 minutes to mount a pair of new skis and test them; I measure twice, drill once. At $10 per M&T, I'd be generating $30 an hour (best circumstances). That doesn't leave the shop owner much room for profit. For remounts you can easily add 10 minutes just for removal of the bindings and filling the old holes. Then you have to determine where the binding can be remounted without conflicting with old holes. Plates are becoming a bit of an issue these days as some are 'hostage' requiring you to use the binding that the plate was designed for. This makes the mounting trivial as they are pre-drilled for pre-determined mounting points BUT if someone brings in a ski with a hostage plate and a binding that isn't compatible there is a lot of hand-holding explaining why they need XYZ binding for XYZ plate. Then there are the problems of some plates now incorporating metal sections and of course the inevitable plate mounting screws; both these scenarios require careful planning to make sure the binding gets mounted appropriately without conflicting with the plate's screws.

So for as easy as mounting bindings seems to be, for mounts other than on brand new skis, there are lots of things that can complicate it.

Jigs aren't cheap either. Especially when manufacturers refuse to make a universal width. New binding comes out, and we need not one, but 2 jigs, as one only goes up to 95mm and the other up to 130mm. At a cost of $150 each. Drill bits wear quickly, come in different sizes (which to use is not always obvious, sometimes a call to the manufacturer is required) and when doing a remount right, it takes me 45 minutes. I don't want to screw up a pair of skis, and moving the new binding to the correct location (as to not overlap the old holes but to be as close to center as possible) takes care. Each jig is different, they aren't foolproof, and mistakes can be made (hence the REI comment above). I do think those rates are very reasonable, especially in a world where people pay $39.95 to get their oil changed, which is a 15 minute job.

Sponsor