• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountains or surf ... or how about both in one day?

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
For a short while the "downsides of moving west" thread diverted to discuss whether you were a "mountain" person or a "sea" person. One thing about living in New Zealand is that pretty much everybody is both. Both are very accessible, which can lead to some silly and irreverent behaviour and challenges, such as this series. A beer company and a number of other sponsored a team to ski and surf in the same day and travel from one end of the country to the other in a week.

This is not five star travel and accommodation, or big resort skiing, it is mainly club fields and smaller commercial fields - but it does give you an idea of the environment here. A word on the timing and snow, it was filmed in late September, so definitely late spring.

The second year they pitted two teams against each other.

Mt Potts in part 2, I think, of series 2 is where I learnt to ski, albeit not by heli-skiing

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@RNZ cool post.
We have a few friends who surf and ski here in Tahoe who love the proximity to the ocean (4-5 hrs away) and mountains.
You CAN have the best of both worlds.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm 160 mile and 3 hours away from 5,500 elevation skiing and about the same the other direction to Atlantic, Wrightsville, and Kure beaches. No wet suit required May through September.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
My son Adam on January 26, 2008:

10AM powder at Mt. Baldy
file.php

4PM surf at Del Mar:
file.php

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It helps to have a Cessna for waterskiing in the Coachella valley in the morning, snow skiing at Big Bear in the afternoon and an evening surf in San Diego. Quality everything. There's enough daylight in the spring to make it comfortably.

Eric

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It is one of the SoCal advantages - surfing and skiing on the same day is quite do-able. Way back in the day, my pals and I had breakfast at the beach, lunch at the ski resorts and a late dinner in the desert: La Jolla, Big Bear, and Palm Springs.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Once in July, a number of years ago I spent the morning skiing on Mount Hood, then in the afternoon I drove off the mountain to Hood River and went canoe sailing at the Columbia River Gorge which is one of the top (read windiest) windsurfing spots on the entire west coast. Anyone who has ever windsurfed there will know what I mean when I say It was a bit hectic out there in that canoe.:D

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I kayaked (others surf it) one of the longest waves I know and skied astounding deep and steep most of the same day with no airplanes or long drives needed. It does require a very decent wetsuit. Turnagain Arm and Alyeska. Catch the bore tide and it is game on, just watch for ice on the Arm.

chemist

Falling off the lift.
Skier
A few years ago I drove up to Mammoth with some guys that surfed in the morning before leaving, but we didn't make it up there in time to ski that afternoon. I've also heard of guys surfing LA in the (very) early morning and then driving up to Mammoth and skiing in the afternoon, more to see if they could do it than anything else. With the five-hour drive I don't think it would be appealing to do on a regular basis.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I kayaked (others surf it) one of the longest waves I know and skied astounding deep and steep most of the same day with no airplanes or long drives needed. It does require a very decent wetsuit. Turnagain Arm and Alyeska. Catch the bore tide and it is game on, just watch for ice on the Arm.

If we're going to fly, why limit it to a Cessna? Why not surf Pipeline then land your jet or even a commercial flight in Mammoth??

As for within a short drive or walking distance??

Well ya, if you're crazy enough to surf in sub zero temps you can catch decent Lake Superior winter storm waves then ski the lake effect dump at Mt Bohemia as quickly as you can dry off and change clothes and gear..

Or Lake Michigan then hit Boyne..

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I surfed off Kennebunkport, ME on christmas eve one year. Pushing my head below incoming waves redefined the term ice cream freeze for me. Other than that I learned to get off the board while keeping the grille dry.

Sponsor