• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain rescue in a hurry

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow!

James

Out There
Instructor
There go those straightlining patrollers again!

That reminds me of a story years ago told by the director of Windham ski school. He used to take people to Austria. He was Austrian, I'm not sure if he was from the area they went to, but he knew lots of the people, especially the patrol. One day a woman and her daughter on the trip we're going up a poma. Somehow, the daughter got hurt near the top. Couldn't ski down. When patrol showed up the mother insisted on going with them. It was a sled like in the video. Franz told her "no, no, no. It is much too dangerous. They're going off piste the short way. We'll take the piste around." She was not happy about this, but had little choice as Franz was not about to take her off piste in pursuit of guys they had no chance of keeping up with.

So they went around. When they got to the town, they see the two patrollers. They're sitting at the slopeside bar, drinking schnapps! Now the mother is really freaked out. "Where's my daughter??" They answered very calmly, "She's in the clinic and has already been seen. She's fine."

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
They are there to finish the job you blotched.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice to see the downhill skier moved out of the way of the freight train.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Freight or fright?

There is no one in the sled, just gear.

Just the fellas out having fun.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really impressive. I’ve made a few solo runs with that particular type of toboggan - Akija/Akia - and I thought it was super-unstable whenever I started going a little fast. I got crazy wobbling whenever I sped up a little. That’s either a different model/brand or it makes a difference with someone in the rear handles...or I suck and/or those guys are great. :huh:

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Not a big fan of that type of sled either. I'm assuming those guys know that mountain intimately and I'm also going to assume that somewhere along the way there is a pretty good run-out that they hit.

Sponsor

Staff online