• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Equipment Co-Op Sold to Private Equity Firm

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So MEC was an institution since 1971, kind of an outdoors gear co-op that focused on low prices and quality gear. Used to be limited selection in things like colours etc but made up with good prices and quality. Lately it had become just another high-end retailer trying to compete with your regular retailers. Sad to see..I remember buying good gear there 30 years ago..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Noooooooooooo....

Mind you, online shoppers couldn't see a large portion of the high-end retail goods from US browsers - not for export agreements and all that.

MEC was awesome for sizing selection and alterations on their own gear. They also brought in budget goods from Vietnam and Cz before that was even a thing.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I used to like them because they only sold 3 pedals. But they were THE pedals..Shimano M535 SPD's, some kind of $5 aluminum platform pedal and a road pedal like Time. And they had great prices, they were always in stock, no BS. All their stuff was like that. Now they're selling their own tubes and they're GARBAGE. Just a sad story.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I joined MEC in 1974 when they had only one store and really were a low price co-op but as @scott43 said, for a good many years now MEC has been just another corporate outdoor retailer and, imo they are nothing special.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Saw this.. kinda captures the sentiment I think..
Screenshot_20200915-101134.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Eh. Canadian cheapskates :D

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
MEC used to sell the gear you couldn’t get else where regardless the price and it was good if not great quality.

The last couple of years, I found high prices and quality well good at best.

Stores have a valley girl boutique setting, not a sports gear store. Can I get you a non dairy, organically grown, ethical somethings that tastes like bad coffee drink with your over priced shirt.

So much for our elected directors doing their job for its members. Since I paid for a membership what my cut?????:huh:

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
Also a long time member but for the last several years I have been buying the good stuff from Last Hunt. MEC made bad decisions and sealed their own fate.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
A friend described MEC as going from a store for backcountry hikers, skiers, etc. to a store for hipsters.

Slasher

Getting on the lift
Skier
Very sad news for Canadians. Fun fact: for Canadians living/travelling abroad, the MEC logo (especially the old one with two jagged peaks) was a reliable sign that you were truly Canadian. At one point or another, we all knew/met at least one American who pretended to be Canadian and failed this test, some going so far as to sew Canadian flags onto their backpacks. If you didn't have at least one article of gear/clothing from MEC, you were a fraud!!!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
So it appears that good ole MEC was insolvent.

"As you may know, this week, MEC filed for protection under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act ("CCAA"). Effectively, this was a recognition that MEC was financially insolvent, and in dire need of support to continue moving forward. Fortunately, at the same time, our Board of Directors announced unanimous support for an agreement with Kingswood Capital Management, LP. The agreement with Kingswood will ensure that MEC has a brighter future."

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I still have my packs-into-a-pocket cycling shell from like 1990. I jam it in my water bottle cage on cooler rides in case it gets cold or rains. Still going strong..

D. Trenker

Putting on skis
Skier
I remember doing a hiking trip in Banff, we drove from Regina to Calgary and one of us needed a sleeping bag, so we had called ahead to the guy at the MEC store in Calgary (there were no mobile phones) because we were going to get into Calgary after the store had closed. So we meet the guy from the MEC store at his house, and he has some sleeping bags laid out on his front lawn. One of the bags was chosen and paid for in cash out on the lawn, and then we continued on to the campground in Banff. Things were so much easier back then!

(But I still want my five dollars back.)

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve been a member for about 35 years. The last 5-10 have been a WTF is this experience.

In Toronto alone they wasted money building two new facilities, First King Street then on Queen Street to a smaller facility.

As a share holder (ie member) the board should be held liable for the errors in miss spending putting MEC in that state.

Jail time would be to good for them.

Thats just me humble opinion.

severou

Booting up
Skier
Got back to Canada after living abroad for a few years. So sad to see what MEC has become. They seemed to have been doing very well financially 5-6 years ago. Now it is a dumpster fire.

Toronto MEC store(the one that was on King) was apparently owned by MEC(land/building) they got payed a lot of money by some developer to get that space or so I was told by someone who works there. New one on Queen is a leased space. So financial speaking probably a good idea, but they still managed to piss away all that.

Lasthunt seems good. I also decided to support Made in Canada so bought a down Jacket and merino hoodie from https://ca.westcomb.com was MEC even making anything in Canada anymore? I guess not. Where can you rent ice climbing gear now.. Europe Bound gone bah :(

Sponsor

Staff online