• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
The IP firm where I once worked had attorneys with PHD-s in Chemistry and Physics. Almost all of them had advanced science or engineering degrees.

I agree I don't think you'd have been able to discuss quantum mechanics with them.
Really? I would love to.

(I “had advanced science“, physics to be exact)

Care to rethink?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Both but as it is set up now the only region I consider a cluster is SLC/Ogden. I guess you could consider the 4 Aspen resorts a cluster.

You must have missed the earlier post when another MCP ski resort cluster was mentioned: Sunshine Village, Lake Louise, Revelstoke.

Aspen cannot be considered a MCP cluster because there are only 2 "free tickets" in total available for the four mountains.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
How many resorts on the MAX have 4 hours drive therebetween or less?

Stoneham - Mont Sainte Anne 1 total
Gore - Belleayre 2
Gore - Whiteface 3
Okemo - Stratton- Killington - Pico that's 9 possible multiday pairings so far.
Eldora - Winter Park - Steamboat 12 pairings
Copper- Crested Butte 13 pairings
Brighton - Solitude 14

So that's at least 14 possible combinations of resort pairs that are achievable without spending a full 8 hour day in a car and without extra flying...............

I'm with ya, but don't forget Windham between Belleayre and Gore, the RCR cluster of Fernie-Kimberley-Kicking Horse-Nakiska and Crystal-Summit at Snoqualmie-Cypress (though Cypress might be questionable with the border crossing) in the PNW.

Aspen cannot be considered a MCP cluster because there are only 2 "free tickets" in total available for the four mountains.

That seems exceedingly lame. In the few analogous situations on the MAX pass (Killington/Pico and Boyne Mountain/ Highlands iirc) you get the full allotment of tix at each location.

Seeing as what was Intrawest is now in the Aspen/KSL group, MCP will probably take Stratton and Tremblant in the east, Steamboat and WP in CO, Snowshoe in WV and Blue up in Ontario. Those will be fairly significant losses for the MAX pass, especially in CO, but probably not a deal breaker for those of us who want more than two days at each resort given what's left over. Perhaps MAX can pick up some independent areas to make up the loss.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Did they ever publish the results of the previous years’ survey?

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
MCP might be able to grab Crystal Mountain, WA. They got bought from Boyne by the manager and are now independent. Big Sky seems unlikely unless Aspen/KSL gets the whole Boyne portfolio somehow. That would be a serious coup.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did they ever publish the results of the previous years’ survey?
I am sure the information is for internal use only. It will be interesting to see though how it breaks down by demographics.

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
MCP might be able to grab Crystal Mountain, WA. They got bought from Boyne by the manager and are now independent. Big Sky seems unlikely unless Aspen/KSL gets the whole Boyne portfolio somehow. That would be a serious coup.

Not sure about Crystal Mt. The owner's, Kircher, father founded Boyne. I would think Crystal will stay with the Boyne resorts on their passes (currently Max). Could be wrong though.

Sponsor

Staff online