• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Some of your post may be using outdated info as ...

And you missed that Lake Louise and Revelstoke are under 3 hours apart and Squaw and Mammoth are under 4 hours apart, both according to Google Maps. Snowmass to Telluride is only 7 minutes over 4 hours and UT MCP resorts to Jackson Hole and Jackson Hole to Sun Valley are between 4 and 5 hours apart so it is possible to ski more MCP locations than you listed, then drive most of the way to another and ski without missing a day or having an 8 hours drive between resorts
Revelstoke was only added last year. But it's quite a game changer, especially with the "split" of 2+2 days at Sunshine and Lake Louise, which makes for a nice and tidy package for a "free" one week trip.

6 days (or 7 if bonus day is chosen) for $399. It's pretty much THE breakeven point for most people.

Add the Utah options, that's another 6 days for ... FREE! Really FREE!

For a lot of people who has limited vacation times, MCP actually works out better because of the lower entry cost. 1 trip, you pay for the pass. If no time for a 2nd trip, no big deal. If time is available for a 2nd trip, one comes out ahead. I had MCP for 2 years. Worked out brilliantly because I ended up with some time in late season to squeeze in an additional trip.

With the higher entry cost of the MAX pass, you have to ski more to break even.
I mostly didn't go west at all
Although I live in the northeast, I didn't ski in the east AT ALL the last TWO seasons!

But this season, I planned to ski in the east. That's why I got the MAX pass instead.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
With the higher entry cost of the MAX pass, you have to ski more to break even.

yeah, 5 days at any choice of resorts instead of 4days at at least two different resorts. So we have a hypothetical skier audience who is completely nonchalant about airfare for extra 2-day trips but loves not having to splash out an extra $250 for extra days at each resort.

Sorry, as generic ski day commodities that doesn't sell. It only sells if there is premium, halo value to the resorts offered. And the proof is: MCP fan posts always talk about which resorts they got to ski for X price. Including yours.

Although I live in the northeast, I didn't ski in the east AT ALL the last TWO seasons!

Eh? Wot? How are your personal ski choices a reponse to a statement of where I applied the local travel algorithm?

But this season, I planned to ski in the east. That's why I got the MAX pass instead.

That's nice but the topic under discussion is MCP adding eastern resorts that would not be available to MAX afterwards - and I don't for a moment believe that MCP would keep the low-commitment price they have this year. Which makes the MCP both higher commitment - and a worse deal per ski day unless one skis 8 days+ at these smaller eastern resorts.

Everything you've posted here emphasizes my point. To wit: Keep MCP directed to halo resorts and keep MCP complementary to MAX. Make the type of planning you're currently proud of still possible.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
yeah, 5 days at any choice of resorts instead of 4days at at least two different resorts. So we have a hypothetical skier audience who is completely nonchalant about airfare for extra 2-day trips but loves not having to splash out an extra $250 for extra days at each resort.

Sorry, as generic ski day commodities that doesn't sell. It only sells if there is premium, halo value to the resorts offered. And the proof is: MCP fan posts always talk about which resorts they got to ski for X price. Including yours.

Eh? Wot? How are your personal ski choices a reponse to a statement of where I applied the local travel algorithm?

That's nice but the topic under discussion is MCP adding eastern resorts that would not be available to MAX afterwards - and I don't for a moment believe that MCP would keep the low-commitment price they have this year. Which makes the MCP both higher commitment - and a worse deal per ski day unless one skis 8 days+ at these smaller eastern resorts.

Everything you've posted here emphasizes my point. To wit: Keep MCP directed to halo resorts and keep MCP complementary to MAX. Make the type of planning you're currently proud of still possible.

Not always. As you know me and SC, you know where we live....in the middle of nowhere. We have no plans (pretty much ever) to head east to ski. It's always west.

This year, based on The Gathering location, we opted for the MCP. My wife can only travel a week at a time (on different months) due to work obligations. So, for us, it's two trips. Yep.....have to spend the travel expenses twice if we want to ski more than a week.

Now that Snowbird, Alta and Snowbasin are all on the MCP our 6 days of tickets are covered by the cost of the pass (399) Our other trip is where we added the extra day. SO in order to ski 3 more days it costs us an extra $ 230 each for a total of $ 629 pp.

Vail Resorts pass (had we gone that way) Pretty much Identical. I believe the price was $ 639 in the Spring. (however our expected lodging cost for this years trips are considerably cheaper than going to Summit County CO and Utah)

Maxx Pass From what I could find the Spring rate (2017) was ........wait for it...........................$ 629.

It all depends on each individuals needs and / or wants.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
So we have a hypothetical skier audience who is completely nonchalant about airfare for extra 2-day trips but loves not having to splash out an extra $250 for extra days at each resort.
Absolutely!

Plenty of people have tons of FF miles and hotel points. Their ONLY expense is lift ticket. For those, MCP is a better deal.

And there're those who DRIVE to ski. Again, your so-called example only applies to YOURS situation.

But the real reason you don't understand the value of MCP is you don't ski the west!!!

So there's no point to discuss this any further. There's no point to discuss quantum mechanics with lawyers. Or best skis to a snowboarder. The point of this thread is about MCP which has all but one of their resort in the west. The number of eastern resort MAX has is irrelevant!

As for the "halo mountain", many say the bad day of skiing in the west is still better than a good day in the east. But your experience may vary. ;-)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Absolutely!

And there're those who DRIVE to ski. Again, your so-called example only applies to YOURS situation.

Actually, my example doesn't apply to my situation at all. So - No.

But the real reason you don't understand the value of MCP is you don't ski the west!!!

You mean other than last year when I had the MCP or the year before that when I had the MCP. ..

So there's no point to discuss this any further. There's no point to discuss quantum mechanics with lawyers. Or best skis to a snowboarder. The point of this thread is about MCP which has all but one of their resort in the west. The number of eastern resort MAX has is irrelevant!

You're absolutely right - there's no point in discussing this any further, since you've absolutely missed the point of the thread - which is a survey about adding resorts to the MCP, more than several of which are current MAX pass resorts, several of which are in the east.

As for the "halo mountain", many say the bad day of skiing in the west is still better than a good day in the east. But your experience may vary. ;-)

Again, a response that not only misses the dartboard, but one that misses the wall. Individual experience has nothing to do with halo designation - halo designation is about name recognition and branding in the marketplace. And thus we have halo skis (which have name recognition but have nothing to with individual experiences on those skis) and halo resorts (which again have name recognition in a broad market but have nothing to do with individual experiences in those resorts).

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it fair to say most folks would vote for adding resorts that are near ones they already plan to ski, therefore creating more "clusters" of resorts for them to cash in their two free days?
Or are some folks voting for more far flung resorts like Big Sky, Bachelor, or Sugarloaf because they want to go there even if not the best cluster effect?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A mix for me, but mostly:
Or are some folks voting for more far flung resorts like Big Sky, Bachelor, or Sugarloaf because they want to go there even if not the best cluster effect?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Both but as it is set up now the only region I consider a cluster is SLC/Ogden. I guess you could consider the 4 Aspen resorts a cluster.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Both but as it is set up now the only region I consider a cluster is SLC/Ogden. I guess you could consider the 4 Aspen resorts a cluster.
I like that Alta and Snowbird are now separate. It would be great If Squaw and Alpine would do the same...along with the Aspen resorts. But I don’t see that happening

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like that Alta and Snowbird are now separate. It would be great If Squaw and Alpine would do the same...along with the Aspen resorts. But I don’t see that happening

Last time I checked Snowbird and Alta were somewhat interconnected. Is Squaw/Alpine Meadows to become one entity?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems to me that Steamboat is an obvious addition to the Mountain Collective for so many reasons. Anybody think of any reason it wouldn't be added?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There's no point to discuss quantum mechanics with lawyers.

The IP firm where I once worked had attorneys with PHD-s in Chemistry and Physics. Almost all of them had advanced science or engineering degrees.

I agree I don't think you'd have been able to discuss quantum mechanics with them.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Seems to me that Steamboat is an obvious addition to the Mountain Collective for so many reasons. Anybody think of any reason it wouldn't be added?

Steamboat is currently on the Maxx Pass. As best as I can tell none of the resorts on Maxx are on MCP.

Now the 2018-19 Season. All bets are off with the KSL/ Aspen deal. EVERYTHING could change (or nothing could change). It's going to be interesting.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Steamboat is currently on the Maxx Pass. As best as I can tell none of the resorts on Maxx are on MCP.

Now the 2018-19 Season. All bets are off with the KSL/ Aspen deal. EVERYTHING could change (or nothing could change). It's going to be interesting.

And, Steamboat is on the RMSP+ too!

Any way Maxx, RMSP+ and MCP all survive this pass madness?

RMSP+ for those keeping score at home:

Rocky_Mountain_Super_Pass_Plus___Ski_Colorado.png

https://www.skicolorado.com/

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it fair to say most folks would vote for adding resorts that are near ones they already plan to ski, therefore creating more "clusters" of resorts for them to cash in their two free days?

I voted for Big Sky first I think, just because I want to go there.

Reactions: mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The IP firm where I once worked had attorneys with PHD-s in Chemistry and Physics. Almost all of them had advanced science or engineering degrees.

I agree I don't think you'd have been able to discuss quantum mechanics with them.
One of the smartest -- for mental quickness at least -- people I ever met was a patent lawyer. He understood my invention much quicker and more thoroughly than my coworkers.

Sponsor