• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PhillyGuy

Booting up
Skier
Looks like the MCP is out for 2018-19. The price is $409 and $1 for kids. The line up is the same as this year with the addition of Big Sky (and loss of Telluride to Vail and Hakuba)

You can buy it today at https://mountaincollective.com/

Given only $190 price difference, I think Ikon may be the way to go for me. This way I can spend more days at fewer destination, save on travel and still come out ahead.

Last edited:

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Plus I just got a $10 loyalty credit. $399 for the pass. Any idea where next year's gathering is goin to be?

Vince Faro

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have thought about this since the Ikon came out. I currently have the MC and I think we are going to do it again. A couple of reasons.

1. Blackout dates - I don't like them
2. My 8 year old gets the MC for $1.00
3. Sun Valley - We have friends who live in SV and I like the mountain.
4. Mammoth is our main mountain , We do about 5 days a year ( I know pathetic) . If I want to spend 599.00 for the Ikon Base , I might as well get the season pass at Mammoth.

I do want to go to Deer Valley though, If Ikon had the same deal for kids that MC has, I might consider it but for now , Mountain Collective for us.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Big Sky on the MCP next season. Woohoo! Makes me think somebody at the MCP office was reading my survey responses. Given the death of the MaxxPass, now if only kicking horse and fernie can join the MCP, then all my winter wishes will be fulfilled. ;)

But I just may need to head out to telluride in March to use up my free days before telluride falls off the pass.

@aveski, how to get the $10 loyalty credit?

Last edited:
Reactions: RJS

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Big Sky on the MCP next season. Woohoo! Makes me think somebody at the MCP office was reading my survey responses. Given the death of the MaxxPass, now if only kicking horse and fernie can join the MCP, then all my winter wishes will be fulfilled. ;)

But I just may need to head out to telluride in March to use up my free days before telluride falls off the pass.

curious about that credit too - ive bought 2 passes every year since inception.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
As soon as I saw this I went to Big Sky's site to check the difference between the Gold pass (what I have now with no blackouts) and the Silver Pass (holidays blacked out). If the difference is close I will buy the BS silver and this and use these days over Christmas and Presidents weekend at JH, SV, Snowbasin and BS.

To my surprise, the season pass link on Big Sky's website is down. I'm hoping their season pass info for next year will be up soon to help cement my decision.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
So....I called and the "loyalty" credit is only for those that purchased the MC pass off the Liftopia website and NOT for those that purchased directly from MC webstie. I really don't see the logic there - but whatever. The customer service rep could not explain it either - other than to explain what Liftopia was. Lots of room opportunity on "messaging" in this industry for sure.

Go figure -

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With the Ikon pass, I see no reason for us to renew the MNC but I still see the value in it for some.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
MC best for tourists like us becsuse of the no blackout dates. I love the addition of Big Sky.
So tempted as I haven’t bought my tickets for this winters trip to Europe.

Last edited:

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just put together a quick spreadsheet looking at my costs for next season for my family. We live in Westchester NY (about 3 hours to Stratton, 4 hours to Killington, 5 hours to Sugarbush). Our family consists of me, my wife, my son (who'll be 8 next season) and my daughter (6 next season).

In looking at the window rates, my daughter at age 6 will ski free nearly everywhere we'll likely visit, with the exception of Stratton where her lift ticket will be $10 (at this year's prices) so while I'd pay $1 for an MCP for her, I don't think there's any point in buying an IKON pass for her. We'll likely be skiing MLK and Presidents day weekends, or at least one of them, so unfortunately the IKON Base pass won't work for us.

We skied at Stratton and Mt Snow in Southern VT this year. The window ticket prices are similar, and I've assumed we'd just ski at Stratton next for our So VT skiing.

So, if our season looked like:

6 days at Stratton
3 days Killington
4 days at Big Sky and 4 days at Jackson (trip already tentatively planned)
5 days at Alta/Bird (just me for a boys trip)
4 days at Aspen (just me and my wife)
2 days at Sugarbush (just me and my son)

Our lift ticket costs for the season would be:

IKON pass - $1,997
Mountain Collective pass - $4,274
No pass (assume an average 20% discount on lift tickets by buying in advance online) - $6,724
No pass (assume just walking up to the ticket window each day - which I would never do) - $8,390

The cost difference between the MCP and the IKON pass for us would all be in the Killington and Stratton skiing. I personally would be just as happy to drive the extra couple of hours to ski those days a Sugarbush for the quality of the skiing, but practically, I'm going to get to ski more often doing weekends at Stratton that just wouldn't happen if the only option with which I presented my wife was a 5 hour drive to Sugarbush.

Anyway, hopefully the above is useful for people in a similar position to me.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
1. Blackout dates - I don't like them
Nobody "likes" blackout dates!

But, you either have the flexibility or you don't. If your only vacation is during Christmas/New Year or President's week. You have no choice but to pay the higher price for the non-restrictive pass.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The title of this thread made me think: Mountain Collective has been discontinued. It did get my attention, though. ogsmile

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As a local passholder, I love blackout dates and hate the MCP. It has upped skier traffic by leaps and bounds enough that I'm contemplating skiing elsewhere next season.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
As a local passholder, I love blackout dates and hate the MCP. It has upped skier traffic by leaps and bounds enough that I'm contemplating skiing elsewhere next season.

Traffic at SB was on the upswing before it was added to MC though. That ship sailed 10 years ago...

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier

The bills have to be paid somehow!

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This makes me happy! Yay! :yahoo: I will hold off until we vote on the next Gathering.....

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec

Sound like me with the MAX these pass this years. At least they were restricted to 5 days. Now all those Blue Mtn people can ski Tremblant unlimited.....We really don't have the infrastructure for more skiers!!

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

They sent me an email. Good until 3/8.

Sponsor