• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Nobody "likes" blackout dates!

But, you either have the flexibility or you don't. If your only vacation is during Christmas/New Year or President's week. You have no choice but to pay the higher price for the non-restrictive pass.

As a local passholder, I love blackout dates and hate the MCP. It has upped skier traffic by leaps and bounds enough that I'm contemplating skiing elsewhere next season.

Another fan of blackout dates. They make the pass cheaper and I can do without those days anyway :)

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait, I'm confused: ikon and MCP both have some of the same resorts? It looks like they both have Alta/Snowbird, for instance, and Big Sky also. Whaaaa? I thought the multi-area passes were exclusive. At least they used to be, right?

TS
P

PhillyGuy

Booting up
Skier
Now I know why Hakuba is no longer on the MCP. Vail just added it to the Epic pass with 5 days of unrestricted skiing.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I guess I don't really see the draw of this pass? You get only 2 days at each resort. T

he only place it really seems it would work for is skiing 6-7 days at the UT resorts listed. Unless you lived out west near many of these places and were going to travel to several of them on weekends or something like that...

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I guess I don't really see the draw of this pass? You get only 2 days at each resort. T

he only place it really seems it would work for is skiing 6-7 days at the UT resorts listed. Unless you lived out west near many of these places and were going to travel to several of them on weekends or something like that...

Absent Ikon pass - a number of folks would disagree with you. It used to be a little less (like a 3 handle) But after the 2 days you get 50% off the window price. You also got 3 days at one place. So, it was a pretty quick payback if you traveled out West regularly to,different places in a single eason. No blackout dates.

I don't travel during holidays but travel frequently, so the Ikon basic will replace the MC for me - already spent the difference between the two this year on my 50% off between Aspen and JH.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier

The Mountain Collective doesn't make sense for a lot of people, to your point. But, let's also note that:
  • You can also do a 6 day trip to Banff Sunshine, Lake Louise, and Revelstoke in addition to a 6 day Utah trip
  • If you live in Utah, in addition to the Utah resorts you have Aspen, Jackson, Sun Valley and Big Sky all within a 6 hour driving radius
If I lived in Utah and had a BCC season pass, Epic Pass or Deer Valley pass I could complement that with the Mountain Collective.

TS
P

PhillyGuy

Booting up
Skier

I agree. I think I’m going with Ikon pass this year. However, It used to be a lot more attractive.

MC was the only pass to ski many of the non Vail world class resorts. With the third day free option for early purchase, you could break even with just one resort on one trip. This year in particular you could ski up to 7 days in SLC on one trip or 6 days to Banff (since you also get a free day at Norquay). If you do more than one trip, it’s totally worth it.

I think the main draw for MC are weekender who can only ski 2-3 days a trip. Those who have to ski on holidays. And those with kids for the $1 add on.

If you can do a longer trip and avoid holidays, Ikon is def way better. For someone who doesn’t live close to any mountains, this is basically a season pass. I won’t really ski more than 5 days at any mountains.

I’ve already started some planing for next year. I figure I could do two trips. One to Colorado, start in winter park, up to steam boat then finish in Aspen. Another trip to Altabird and Deer Valley. 20+ days of skiing for 599. That’s pretty sweet!

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
I figure I could do two trips. One to Colorado, start in winter park, up to steam boat then finish in Aspen. Another trip to Altabird and Deer Valley. 20+ days of skiing for 599. That’s pretty sweet!

Another good option is Jackson Hole and DV or Alta-bird as one (extended) trip. And a Aspen / Steamboat as a second (extended) trip.

There are all sorts of great combinations for those who travel from far away places for a trip (or 3) a year.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Another good option is Jackson Hole and DV or Alta-bird as one (extended) trip. And a Aspen / Steamboat as a second (extended) trip.

There are all sorts of great combinations for those who travel from far away places for a trip (or 3) a year.

Or 5..........

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
MC was the only pass to ski many of the non Vail world class resorts. With the third day free option for early purchase, you could break even with just one resort on one trip. This year in particular you could ski up to 7 days in SLC on one trip or 6 days to Banff (since you also get a free day at Norquay). If you do more than one trip, it’s totally worth it.

I've had an MCP for three seasons now, and I totally agree with this.

I think the main draw for MC are weekender who can only ski 2-3 days a trip. Those who have to ski on holidays. And those with kids for the $1 add on.

But I disagree with the weekender part of this, for me personally - and probably for a bunch of others. All of my MCP trips out west have been a week long with at least 4 days of skiing.

2015/16 - One week in Aspen - 3 included days and 3 50% off; One week in California - 2 free days at Mammoth and 2 free days at Squalpine.
2016/17 - One week in Whistler - 3 included days and 3 50% off days. This would have been a few bucks cheaper if I'd bought straight from Whistler, but I had intended to use more of the free days on the pass and it didn't work out.
2017/18 - One week in Taos - 3 included days and 3 50% off days; One week in Utah - 6 included days; Weekend in Sugarbush - 2 included days

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@dbostedo - you would still buy the MC over the Ikon (now that it exists)? I think the point above is the Now vs then

Ah... I was reading the weekender part as still being part of the "it used to be a lot more attractive". Ikon does certainly shift things, though I still don't think the MCP is necessarily a weekender thing.

For instance, if I was doing a week at Big Sky next year, and was uncertain of any other trips, I may still buy the MCP. It would give me 3 free days, and 3 at 50% off, for a week long trip - probably about $600 total. The Ikon pass would give me 5 free days, then I'd have to buy one additional day. That would be $700 or more. So it would be dependent on whether or not I thought I could other uses out of the pass. The seems more likely with Ikon, but I'd have to think about it.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Yawn, another ‘it’ pass $hit$ on the East.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Yawn, another ‘it’ pass $hit$ on the East.
Wake up! Those passes aren’t made to replace your local season pass. It’s made for people to take long trips away from home. You’re barking up the wrong tree.

Those lucky few who live where people want yo go to ski, well they pay for it in other ways.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree. I think I’m going with Ikon pass this year. However, It used to be a lot more attractive.

If you can do a longer trip and avoid holidays, Ikon is def way better. For someone who doesn’t live close to any mountains, this is basically a season pass. I won’t really ski more than 5 days at any mountains.

I’ve already started some planing for next year. I figure I could do two trips. One to Colorado, start in winter park, up to steam boat then finish in Aspen. Another trip to Altabird and Deer Valley. 20+ days of skiing for 599. That’s pretty sweet!

We're looking at Big Sky for next year. I'll need to do the math on this pass vs just buying discount tickets and/or skiing Bridger for a couple of days instead. We were planning 2 days at Bridger and 2 at Big Sky and this pass just doesn't help for that... Now if we did 4 days at Big Sky... That might help there.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
We're looking at Big Sky for next year. I'll need to do the math on this pass vs just buying discount tickets and/or skiing Bridger for a couple of days instead. We were planning 2 days at Bridger and 2 at Big Sky and this pass just doesn't help for that... Now if we did 4 days at Big Sky... That might help there.

Ok just did the math quick. We'd need to ski 5 days at Big Sky to save any $$ with this pass, and even then we'd save about $250 off just buying discounted multi day tickets from the resort. No chance we ski 5 days there however or take a 2nd trip out west... Interesting though for future skiing...

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
At the 2017 Boston ski expo MC was promoting a code for $90 off a pass. I used it to purchase my daughters pass for $9 total ($99 price in November). Just throwing it out there that discount codes pop up & that there are options for the child pass without need to purchase adult pass too.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
90% sure I'll be the buying this pass for next year. Sounds like it's not too popular here, but honestly, the pass looks like somebody designed it around my trip plans.

Most likely, my ski season next year will be:

4 days at Big Sky
2 days at Jackson Hole & 1 day at Grand Targhee OR 3 days at Aspen
One quick weekend trip to ski 2 to 2.5 days at Alta, Snowbird, or Snowbasin.

With the announced pass, I'll be getting somewhere between $850 to $1,100+ of lift tickets for a $459 pass. ($409 pass with third free day at BS and a 4th day purchased at 50% off.) Pretty awesome deal IMO.