• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking uphill at a bike park (Northstar)?

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have what is probably a dumb question: if I wanted to ride a trail uphill at Northstar Bike Park (for purposes of getting out of the park to a different trail system), would that be allowed? I see on their trail map that they have some trails marked multi-use, so I assume those would probably be allowed, but I don't see a trail from the village up to mid-mountain that is marked multi-use. Does anyone have info on riding out of Northstar Village without using the lift (other than going to 267)?
Or is uphill riding allowed at a lift served bike park?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't know about Northstar. At Winter Park and Keystone, the downhill trails are, well, downhill. I really, really don't want to be flying down the hill and find someone in the middle of the trail. I would be very upset. Also, on any trail beyond a green, you'd be walking much of the time, anyway.

At WP and Keystone, I see XC people riding up the access roads. There is almost certainly a dirt road up Northstar that is used for maintenance. You can encounter vehicles there at any time.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I really, really don't want to be flying down the hill and find someone in the middle of the trail. I would be very upset.
I figured that. Nor do I want to be in the way of a downhiller. I'm hoping someone local to Tahoe has some trail info for that area. There is a trail used for cross-country skiing in winter that starts at the base and goes at least to mid -mountain, but it doesn't seem to be marked on the summer trail map. And MTB project doesn't have a connector trail marked.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I figured that. Nor do I want to be in the way of a downhiller. I'm hoping someone local to Tahoe has some trail info for that area. There is a trail used for cross-country skiing in winter that starts at the base and goes at least to mid -mountain, but it doesn't seem to be marked on the summer trail map. And MTB project doesn't have a connector trail marked.

I bet you can call the Northstar phone number and find someone who knows. There must be an access road - of course, that'll be boring as hell.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bet you can call the Northstar phone number and find someone who knows. There must be an access road - of course, that'll be boring as hell.
I found a way on Trailforks. It looks like it is some sort of access road, but it's right by the condo we'll be staying in, so perfect! It's ok if it's a boring access road. I just want a safe way to to get up to the ridge and away from the downhill park to a different area.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The trails on the bottom part...up to mid mountain are two way trails. Above that I think you will need to stay on the fireroads.

Sponsor

Staff online