• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been puzzling regarding a last hurrah trip next summer before I start law school. Separately I've been wanting to set a goal for an athletic event that I can train for as the last time I was really successful with weight loss goals was when I committed to a century ride the next summer. Then, I found out that the airline where I have all my miles will be servicing Iceland next summer which has been on my dream trip list for awhile now. EPIPHANY!

Now I'm considering a multi-day (3-5 days) mountain biking tour of Iceland. However, I'd also consider other locations so long as they tend to be on the cooler side. So Alaska and Canada would be on the list of candidates. I'm open to other alternatives and suggestions as well.

So my questions, has anyone done a similar sort of trip? Anyone have recommendations on location and/or tour companies? I'm not really of a mind to coordinate all of the logistics myself, hence, looking for a company to do it. Other thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Backroad?
Or
Adventure Cyclist has a tour of the north rim of Grand Canyon (used to, haven't checked lately though)

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Backroad?
Or
Adventure Cyclist has a tour of the north rim of Grand Canyon (used to, haven't checked lately though)

Fails the cooler (in summer) requirement. I don't do well in heat as it is, no need to add it as a factor to this challenge.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
When I called, they said they had snow on previous years tour.

But no, I've never done it myself (or any organized bike tours for that matter)

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have heard Western Spirit has great MTB trips.

I have done several Backroads trips in the US and Europe. All spectacular.

kingsalami

Booting up
Skier
Here's a bit of beta on Iceland.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Ovegur-A-Journey-to-Iceland-2013.html

https://www.imbikemag.com/articles/issue45/trail-guide-iceland-bike-packing/

I spent a year there in '92, and used to ride my fully rigid Cannondale from Keflavik to the Blue Lagoon (Ouch! Very rocky!). It was quite austere back in the day. I'm pretty sure they've got a few guided mtb excursions now.
Just be prepared for nasty weather the majority of the time. The summer rain isn't that big of a deal, but the relentless wind can get old pretty quick. My 1-person tent got flattened by 55 mph winds one night while I camping with a buddy.

Last edited:
TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m coming back to this in a bit of a morphed plan. As much as I want to do this I’m thinking my mountain bike skills aren’t there and given that my focus will be on skiing for the next several months I don’t think they’ll get there. So now I’m looking at a road bike version somewhere. I’m also thinking maybe I’ll keep it to this continent although that may be my jet lag from England last week with the next trip there a week from today.

The Trek Travel tours look amazing and just what I’m looking for. There’s a company called Backroads that do something very similar as well. Currently I’m looking at options in the San Juan Islands, Glacier National Park, and Banff.

Last edited:

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't think you would be disappointed with Trek Travel. They really try to make sure you are having a great time. They have some great trips in EU you may want to consider also. Honestly they are a great choice.

Not sure if you've checked out these but I will just throw them out there. Adventure Cyclist, Bicycle Adventure Club, and Red Spokes.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'd choose Iceland in a flash. I like mt. bike, but your reasoning for road is good. Would you rent a bike or bring your own?

I'd bring my ski boots to mix it up. They have snow in places year round, right? ;-)

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Just sign up for Ride the Rockies. Save a bunch of money and still have a blast.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're doing a road ride, why not consider Europe? Huge tradition there, that includes outfitters of various levels of luxury and challenge.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid