• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain biking through a wildfire

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This video was featured in a story on Pinkbike.
For full article, see Pinkbike here
Crazy cool, or just crazy?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks like they relit a prior burn. If it was a real fire I'd think the folks in charge of putting it out would not be too enthusiastic about having a rider and all the accompanying crew in the way. So, kinda cool I guess.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
With Andy here. No way it is an active burn. Fire command would shut this down, and these guys would be in jail. Those areas that are burning are locked down tight.

Plus, it is just fucking stupid. Plaster a bunch of flammable gel on already burned structures. Likely having an impact on air quality. Likely endangering neighboring communities, fire fighters and first responders.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Good: It's a public service video to be careful with fire in the forest.

Bad: I don't understand why the MT Biker is riding in the fire -- other than it looks cool. It's not part of the message and it's not consistent with the story.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems silly, but clearly he needs to read the thread here on the efficacy of clipless pedals.

Great imagery.

I don’t know how they got into the burn, but I’d bet the house that it’s not ‘relit’ - I’d say it’s an active burn, quite possibly a prescribed fire.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems silly, but clearly he needs to read the thread here on the efficacy of clipless pedals.

Great imagery.

I don’t know how they got into the burn, but I’d bet the house that it’s not ‘relit’ - I’d say it’s an active burn, quite possibly a prescribed fire.
With the jumps all built I'm thinking it was done after a burn. All the surrounding, more distant trees are torched yet not burning. I think @martyg is correct about using gel. Also, there were a bunch of conveniently placed piles that looked just a bit too convenient.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's the "how they did it". It was a prior burn near Cimmaron, NM.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve had some experience with fires, and that gel idea isn’t realistic.

Edit: Just read that article, makes sense, basically a prescribed burn. Thx for linking it.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When I saw it, my first thought was, that they must have been getting ready for a shoot when a fire started so they siezed the opportunity to get a once in a life time video. then I thought.....
"How stupid. What about the firefighters trying to put it out?"

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A cool video and a very bad idea. DON'T PLAY WITH FIRE!
It is dangerously suggestive to a number of people of a wide age range to go do something in a really dangerous place.

NO, just NO!

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A cool video and a very bad idea. DON'T PLAY WITH FIRE!
It is dangerously suggestive to a number of people of a wide age range to go do something in a really dangerous place.

NO, just NO!
If people are stupid enough to copy what's in this video, maybe this will improve the overall gene pool.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Safely riding through a burn area, northern shore of Waldo Lake, circa 2013 (apologies for not shaving for the camera -- this was an "I'm alive and having fun photo" sent to my wife, mid-trip).

Super cool to ride through.

waldo-burn-area-jpg.107606

Attachments

• Waldo Burn Area.JPG
    Waldo Burn Area.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 35

Sponsor