• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
9 tooth cogs are super draggy, the chain has to bend so much as it goes around the cog it's like pedaling a square.

I dont like to use even 11t. 10t is really bothersome and 9t has to be exponentially even worse.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I though you had the Stumpjumper EVO? You just made it evo-like yourself by modding?

I do have a 2020 Evo with my recent mods that make it line the new 2021 version (Cascade link and 160mm air spring upgrade to Fox 36).

I’m just posting about the new regular Stumpjumper because it’s an upgraded ST avoiding the burly enduro components and very light that seems ideal for a few folk here as we’ve been talking bikes. I could make my Evo 180/168 with a 38mm fork amp and it wouldn’t be overbuilt for the abuse it’s been taking.:P

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I dont like to use even 11t. 10t is really bothersome and 9t has to be exponentially even worse.

We don’t spend any real time in the 10t gear on a mtb so it seems a relatively limited concern in the context of the weight and price point. I won’t be a first adopter, but I’ll echo @elemmac in that it comes in blue and I keep adding sexy blue bits to my bike and that’s kinda no brainer.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
We don’t spend any real time in the 10t gear on a mtb so it seems a relatively limited concern in the context of the weight and price point. I won’t be a first adopter, but I’ll echo @elemmac in that it comes in blue and I keep adding sexy blue bits to my bike and that’s kinda no brainer.
Keeping it real! :ogbiggrin:

Reactions: nay

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

While I don’t plan on trading in my XTR anytime soon, its fun to think about the sex appeal...haha. What I’d be most hesitant about is the upper ring gaps. I’m on an XTR setup, so:
10-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-33-39-45-51T

The e*thirteen has:
9-11-13-15-17-20-23-27-31-36-42-50T

So the gaps are larger on the largest two rings...curious on input on how this affect shifting? Especially under load...which you often are in these rings going up hill.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
While I don’t plan on trading in my XTR anytime soon, its fun to think about the sex appeal...haha. What I’d be most hesitant about is the upper ring gaps. I’m on an XTR setup, so:

The e*thirteen has:

So the gaps are larger on the largest two rings...curious on input on how this affect shifting? Especially under load...which you often are in these rings going up hill.

It does seem to be engineered for SRAM more than Shimano.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

It looks sexy AF. :ogbiggrin:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

The e*thirteen has:

Shimano gear spacing is SO much better than SRAM. Their 45-51 jump just makes more sense than 42-50, which drives me nuts. And now SRAM's gap will be 42-52. Yikes!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Shimano gear spacing is SO much better than SRAM. Their 45-51 jump just makes more sense than 42-50, which drives me nuts. And now SRAM's gap will be 42-52. Yikes!

Wait, wot? Oh geez, even more reason to hold out and wait for the bike with Shimano.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Yesterdays evening ride…
0CC58E3E-114E-4A0A-B0F4-2F78B295EB13.jpeg

...& today
0D8BA9E8-65D5-49C2-9A0C-F03D7141CEBA.jpeg

Now I feel like I need to go count all my teeth. :bikewheelie::ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

Joel

Having fun
Skier
I have the the 10-51 XTR on my bike now. I'm only on the 10T when doing long smooth descents. The gap on the lowest gears don't bother me much and actually works out for me. The lowest two gears are my grunt gears when I'm doing the steep long climbs. The rest of the time is in that 11T to 39T range.

I've never had issues getting into the lowest gears, even when late on shifting and the load is ramping up.

Joel

The e*thirteen has:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the the 10-51 XTR on my bike now....I've never had issues getting into the lowest gears, even when late on shifting and the load is ramping up.
Joel

The new Shimano shifting is so smooth under load that it is almost surreal.

They were late to the 12-speed game, but they came to win.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@tball here is your bike. New Stumpjumper is a perfect bike for Colorado where you don’t need Enduro class. It’s the previous ST (seriously improved by moving to a single pivot link.
I’m not so sure. I had high hopes for the new Stumpy, but a few things make me hesitant:
Fox34 fork. At 140mm travel for a 29er, it’s undergunned for taller, heavier or very aggressive riders (not sure if @tball falls into any of those categories). Remember, a 29er fork is 30mm taller than a 26er. No one would run a 170mm 26er fork with 34mm stanchions and a 15 axle. Most people start being less enamored by the 34 above 120mm travel. Cool would have been 34 on the smallest two sizes, 36 on the rest.

@tball here is your bike. It’s the previous ST seriously improved by moving to a single pivot link. 130/140 29’er with major focus on weight and pedaling performance.
No focus on improved pedaling performance.
I was expecting it to be, after the Enduro came out with better pedaling, but according to Specialized themselves, they actually reduced the anti squat of the new Stumpy, making it feel softer at the pedals. Reviews agree with that.
Now, for some people, riding rough climbs, seated, with smooth pedaling technique, they might appreciate that for the smoother ride over bumps. But for most people, when they think of “improved pedaling performance“ they think of a firmer pedaling feel and less bob.

I don’t really understand why they did that, since the new Stumpy Evo is so adjustable, it can be set quite moderate, so buyers who want a plusher feel could just choose that. I would have thought that moves the regular Stumpy, with the flex link, more to the market of fast and light trail bike (which the weight and build absolutely do). :huh:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The new Stumpy Evo though, I think is a super well done bike, with smart features and build kits.
Best of all, it can be many things for many people.
Think modern bikes are getting too long and slack? Pick a small size, run the short chainstay and “steep” headangle.
Want a Geometron or Pole, but want to shop at your local shop and get a better value?
Size up (short seat tubes), long chainstay, slack headangle.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The wind continues to howl and trees continue to fall. I've stopped carrying my pack saw, although I may resume bringing it along. I was able to cut some smaller trees so they could be moved off the trail with my folding 6" blade saw.

This one remained however. The Town of Breck trail crews have been out in force cutting trees. This one will be gone soon.

IMG_20201017_093504438.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another fairly mundane shot of the new "backyard". It is, however, interesting to note how much the larch have changed color compared to just two days ago. And we've got a bit of snow on the trails this morning. :geek:

IMG_3455.JPG

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The new Stumpy Evo though, I think is a super well done bike, with smart features and build kits.
Best of all, it can be many things for many people.
Think modern bikes are getting too long and slack? Pick a small size, run the short chainstay and “steep” headangle.
Want a Geometron or Pole, but want to shop at your local shop and get a better value?
Size up (short seat tubes), long chainstay, slack headangle.

I had thought that the adjustability of the Evo with six sizes meant Specialized was going to hold off on a regular Stumpjumper release until they made more substantial changes to the linkage.

I’d tend to agree on the 34 not being enough, etc. except I‘ve spent enough time riding my with son’s college race team where a bunch of these lighter guys (say 135-150 lbs) ride seriously technical terrain on XC or “down country bikes” and they don’t shy away from big air. My son, OTOH, has a near 40 lb Transition Patrol (Cush Core, DH casings, etc.).

That was my only thought here - the 140/130 travel range has been trending to Enduro class components despite the shorter travel, and focusing instead on weight makes sense. Could have also skipped it entirely and just produced a bunch of extra Epic Evo?

I don’t get the ditching of 27.5 except maybe they just don’t sell as well.

scott43

Skier
So I was out pedaling with the lad today and saw my bike parked up against the school wall and thought..dang..my (only) 7 year old XC rig is STEEP... 71d head angle but man..looks out of date. A new horse will be in the stable next spring...as nice as the old girl was for some rec XC racing..

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I had thought that the adjustability of the Evo with six sizes meant Specialized was going to hold off on a regular Stumpjumper release until they made more substantial changes to the linkage.

Getting rid of the Horst link seems like a pretty significant change.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Getting rid of the Horst link seems like a pretty significant change.

I meant more along the lines of the Enduro, these are (much needed) tweaks to rear linkage leverage curve and using carbon as a rear link flex point (the aluminum models are still Horst since it’s hard to use aluminum as a flex point). The last iteration Stumpjumper was a bit of a no-man’s land bike where the bookends of the ST and Evo had the most promise and these iterations seem to focus on that in each respect without any true ground up changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor