• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have known Mr. Hoffman over 40 years. And he has passed me like I was standing still numerous times both on skis and mountain bikes! He is a legend of Snowbasin!
Yep! And just THE nicest guy you’ll ever meet.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I think Sunday is the last day of the season for Trestle Bike Park. Saturday is sold out! Come and get it!

Reactions: nay

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Love seeing all the fall leaves from other places, we get yellow leaves but not anything else. The leaves are pretty much 90% off the trees now and we've got snow in the forecast for higher elevations over the next few days. We shall see just how just much longer we can ride trail bikes before we have to get the fat bikes back out. We did our first proper night ride on Tuesday, so much fun ripping down familiar trails in the unfamiliar darkness lit by our lights.
20200922_205643.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
IF the inventory/production ever gets caught up (does anyone know if Shimano is having more production issues than SRAM right now?) I need to decide if I want to go with the Trek Fuel EX or the Top Fuel for next year. @Tom K., thoughts?
Since I really ride cross country, and I really have no desire to jump (I'm too old for that crap) I'm rather intrigued by a bike that is almost 5 pounds lighter. Yes, I ride a lot of rock gardens, but they aren't big huge rocks, just lots of baby heads and loose rolly stuff.

The Fuel EX has 140 mm of travel on the fork and 130 on the shock. The Top Fuel has 120 on both. I'm looking to get the Shimano XT groupset (if they ever come available) but am not sure if I'll end up with the 9.8 or the 9.9. They are spec'd with different shocks/forks. The Fuel EX is overall a ton of fun, but there are times when I feel that it is just a lot of bike for me at my size. I'm pondering going with the Fuel EX and running lighter tires, but getting something lighter and faster for climbing is really enticing to me.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
IF the inventory/production ever gets caught up (does anyone know if Shimano is having more production issues than SRAM right now?) I need to decide if I want to go with the Trek Fuel EX or the Top Fuel for next year. @Tom K., thoughts?
Since I really ride cross country, and I really have no desire to jump (I'm too old for that crap) I'm rather intrigued by a bike that is almost 5 pounds lighter. Yes, I ride a lot of rock gardens, but they aren't big huge rocks, just lots of baby heads and loose rolly stuff.

The Fuel EX has 140 mm of travel on the fork and 130 on the shock. The Top Fuel has 120 on both. I'm looking to get the Shimano XT groupset (if they ever come available) but am not sure if I'll end up with the 9.8 or the 9.9. They are spec'd with different shocks/forks. The Fuel EX is overall a ton of fun, but there are times when I feel that it is just a lot of bike for me at my size. I'm pondering going with the Fuel EX and running lighter tires, but getting something lighter and faster for climbing is really enticing to me.

I’d go 120/120 for XC, those suspensions tend to smooth out baby head terrain a lot better than the big hit bikes.

My Stumpy ST is 130/130 with Fox 34 factory fit and Float Factory trail shock. That setup isn’t super rigid, but it’s so smooth and plush, to the point this forum has plenty of posts from me trying to figure out what is wrong with my Fox 36. Nothing, you just can’t have it all.

Interesting report just came out of one of the EWS races where a lot of racers swapped out their Fox 38 and Zeb forks mid-race (Multi-day) for 36 and Lyrics, including the winner on the men’s side. Bigger and burlier isn’t automatically better.

I would much rather daily ride the Fox 34 than 36, I’m just not riding that type of terrain much and you just hate to beat up a ride like that.

3E9393A4-6306-4AA2-86FF-E5CA2355AD85.jpeg

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier

Unsolicited input warning!

I have a Fuel EX (XT groupset) and finding myself looking at the Top Fuel a lot. I like the Fuel a lot, but I do find myself thinking its more bike than I need right now much more often than I think I'm thankful I have that much bike. East coast riding, but in the mountains (largely extended rides up, followed by the rest of the ride down).

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’d go 120/120 for XC, those suspensions tend to smooth out baby head terrain a lot better than the big hit bikes.

My Stumpy ST is 130/130 with Fox 34 factory fit and Float Factory trail shock. That setup isn’t super rigid, but it’s so smooth and plush, to the point this forum has plenty of posts from me trying to figure out what is wrong with my Fox 36. Nothing, you just can’t have it all.

Interesting report just came out of one of the EWS races where a lot of racers swapped out their Fox 38 and Zeb forks mid-race (Multi-day) for 36 and Lyrics, including the winner on the men’s side. Bigger and burlier isn’t automatically better.

I would much rather daily ride the Fox 34 than 36, I’m just not riding that type of terrain much and you just hate to beat up a ride like that.

View attachment 110887
And see, as I've also posted before, the Fox 36 has also been hard for me to get dialed in.
That's crazy that some of the racers swapped out their forks mid-race.

I need to compare the geometry on the two bikes again. I will say that the Bike Mag Bible of bikes test ride video made me perk up about the Top Fuel. https://www.bikemag.com/2020-bible-of-bike-tests/bible-review-trek-top-fuel/

Such first world problems!

Reactions: nay

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I ride mostly the same trails as @AmyPJ and I went from the Fuel EX to Norco Optic. The Optic has Fox 34 Factory 120 fork and Factory rear shock with 110 travel. Total weight is barely over 25 lbs and I think it is optimal for what we ride.
IMG_0792.JPG

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
And see, as I've also posted before, the Fox 36 has also been hard for me to get dialed in.
That's crazy that some of the racers swapped out their forks mid-race.

I need to compare the geometry on the two bikes again. I will say that the Bike Mag Bible of bikes test ride video made me perk up about the Top Fuel. https://www.bikemag.com/2020-bible-of-bike-tests/bible-review-trek-top-fuel/

Such first world problems!

The Fox 36 is too much fork for a lot of people. I weight 190 lb and ride pretty rowdy terrain and some park but I am not a very fast rider and my jumps are barely jumps :roflmao: Still, I really appreciate the 36's extra stiffness. If your are say 160 lb and less and you dont ride park hard and rowdy terrain at high speed you are better served by a Pike or Fox 34. The new lower link VPP Santa Cruz / Juliana bikes feel so so nice that I would strongly consider one of the lower travel models.

Also, its not often mentioned but even if you can go with a pretty light bike durability will suffer. Most advanced trails here in the front range will eat up lesser bikes in short order. Lighter tires specially. In other parts of the country that is not much of an issue but anywhere out west it is.

Regarding Shimano vs SRAM, I had Shimano XT (M8000 full group with 2 piston brakes with finned pads) and now I have the Sram GX (2021 w/ Code R brakes) and I love it. I liked the XT a lot but this GX feels really nice as well and the brakes are much better.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
^^^^totally agree. My Stumpy ST is still wearing 2.6 tires and the rear is a half DH casing (Specialized Blck Dmnd). Thousand dollar carbon rims are scary. I bought the new bike because I was going to kill the light duty version. My 125 lb son is riding it now, and it will serve him well until he puts on some mass.

The Fox 34 Is very set it and forget it. The 36 seems more sensitive even to moderate temp swings. I felt pinging all over the the place today, dropped LSC 2 clicks and back to money.

SRAM Code brakes are fantastic. I have Code RSC with 200mm rotors on each end. Power is so impressive and the bite point is spot on. There is a lot of confidence from having brakes that good.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
From today. Axel is home for the weekend, didn’t bring his bike so he rode the ST. It is light poppy, especially on rolling terrain.

D2254CEF-50DB-4915-B587-CA9661F9D054.jpeg

Thing though is the sled is faster and it still pops (a bike swap here).

74E5F2DC-23CA-4DAF-9898-725E326F5082.jpeg

I love it when iPhone video pulls the rider into foreground clarity like this.

EBF05E75-8C72-4D34-97E6-CB487F1AEB5A.jpeg

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I have an opinion on this! I've been riding a 2020 Top Fuel 8 since September last year and it is a fantastic bike. I've definitely taken it beyond it's designed intent and it's done well enough in those situations. I am replacing it with a 2021 Fuel EX 9.8 XT next year, already on order with my shop and hopefully it shows up sometime between February and April (fingers crossed!). After riding the Top Fuel since last fall, I have decided that I need a bike that is just a bit more bike to handle my 220lbs riding weight.. I definitely feel like the bike was not designed for a rider like me. I had to up the rear rotor to a 180 in order to feel like the rear brake was even doing anything for me. For someone smaller and lighter I think it would be a much better fit. I'm terrible at describing things but the Top Fuel feels like a low 80mm waist ski, capable of everything but trending more to the XC side of things.

The twist grip lockout is killer, make the bike into such a climber and clicking the button to unlock it just feels so nice.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have an opinion on this! I've been riding a 2020 Top Fuel 8 since September last year and it is a fantastic bike. I've definitely taken it beyond it's designed intent and it's done well enough in those situations. I am replacing it with a 2021 Fuel EX 9.8 XT next year, already on order with my shop and hopefully it shows up sometime between February and April (fingers crossed!). After riding the Top Fuel since last fall, I have decided that I need a bike that is just a bit more bike to handle my 220lbs riding weight.. I definitely feel like the bike was not designed for a rider like me. I had to up the rear rotor to a 180 in order to feel like the rear brake was even doing anything for me. For someone smaller and lighter I think it would be a much better fit. I'm terrible at describing things but the Top Fuel feels like a low 80mm waist ski, capable of everything but trending more to the XC side of things.

The twist grip lockout is killer, make the bike into such a climber and clicking the button to unlock it just feels so nice.
So, do tell what color did you order, and what components? Lots more options for 2021. I usually climb with the fork open and the shock in the middle because we climb a lot of rocks gardens, but I'd love to try locking out more often and if it were that easy, that'd be nice.

On that note, I had SRAM brakes on a previous version of the Fuel EX (2 years ago) and was NOT a fan. I've heard over and over the only SRAMs you want are the Guide RSC. That being said, the Shimano XTs I have now are overkill for me. Eagle GX is what I've been running for 3 years now, and it's good, but that CLUNK at times when shifting, and the inability to shift under much tension makes me eager to go back to Shimano. At this point, though, I'll take whatever comes available first!

@utskier thinks maybe on the Fuel EX, I need to be on a small. I fall right on the line of going S vs. M. I'm pondering ordering a Project One bike (custom, including paint :ogbiggrin:) and getting a smaller fork on it. I'm also thinking I need to hunt down a Top Fuel and a small Fuel EX to demo. I think the shop Utskier works at has a small Fuel to demo, but I know they don't have a Top Fuel.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I need to decide if I want to go with the Trek Fuel EX or the Top Fuel for next year. @Tom K., thoughts?

The Fuel EX has 140 mm of travel on the fork and 130 on the shock. The Top Fuel has 120 front and 115 rear. The Fuel EX is overall a ton of fun, but there are times when I feel that it is just a lot of bike for me at my size. I'm pondering going with the Fuel EX and running lighter tires, but getting something lighter and faster for climbing is really enticing to me.

Top Fuel all the way, though the steering will be a bit snappier than the FEX, and the dual remote lockout kinda bugged me, now that the racer gene is fading. I went to a standard, 3-position DPS rear shock, and love that, although the lever is a tough reach, and took a bit of getting used to (shock has to be mounted upside down, for clearance purposes). I've put two lightweight, women friends on Top Fuels, and they still talk to me...:ogbiggrin:

Side note: At your weight, you'll NEVER get a Fox 36 dialed in, without custom re-valving. You'd be better off with a 34 Grip2 fork.

I have an opinion on this! I've been riding a 2020 Top Fuel 8 since September last year and it is a fantastic bike. After riding the Top Fuel since last fall, I have decided that I need a bike that is just a bit more bike to handle my 220lbs riding weight.. I definitely feel like the bike was not designed for a rider like me.

At 195, I agree completely. If I were still racing, it would be Top Fuel all the way, but it does have a bit of give when I push it beyond it's intended territory....which is every ride in my home region.

Some days, however, I just love the Top Fuel's snappy, lively, short travel ride, but if I had to choose one bike, it would be the Fuel EX. It's so capable over a wide range of riding. Fast and smooth and stiff!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
lt’s been a solid week of riding since returning to the Ogden Valley, looping most of my favorites.

Monday, Last Chance Loop...
732FD679-2197-440E-8196-DA6F6186B57F.jpeg

Includes Last Chance, Green Pond & East Fork.
1E3EAFFE-9940-4F6B-80BE-4E259D19A594.jpeg

Tuesday, Powder Mountain “A” loop.
Not much color up here yet but lots of trees down from a big wind storm a few weeks ago...
94617F63-7037-4CCE-9DDE-F87208C49583.jpeg

Includes Sunrise, Picnic, Trail Yeah, Britain's Ribbon & Woodys World.
4F63E392-4E75-4C03-A0E9-724E4AA25F97.jpeg

Wednesday, Sardine loop counterclockwise.
4F056D1E-74BC-4E73-8A65-81E68C741FDC.jpeg

Includes Sardine, Art Nord/Maples, Ice Box & upper Wheeler.
85763239-55B8-4858-8B36-AB5F91D8AA88.jpeg

Thursday, Powder mountain “B” loop.
57EFAEB6-C1A5-42AD-A9B6-4B991BD1D546.jpeg

Includes Paper Airplane, Baggage Claim, Brim, Britain’s Ribbon & Woodys.
24DA5FC6-63FF-4D34-A25C-41F2F0017793.jpeg

Attachments

• E6337239-3CCF-44BC-B4E8-985B28611987.jpeg
    E6337239-3CCF-44BC-B4E8-985B28611987.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 3
  • A5D08E8D-5B2A-42EC-A13F-E5EA56519343.jpeg
    A5D08E8D-5B2A-42EC-A13F-E5EA56519343.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 3
  • D3AA9F93-2676-4AAD-AA21-036B42C2790D.jpeg
    D3AA9F93-2676-4AAD-AA21-036B42C2790D.jpeg
    485.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 7ACC0401-5B64-4BEC-B4C3-DAC3823A280F.jpeg
    7ACC0401-5B64-4BEC-B4C3-DAC3823A280F.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 4
  • E5954ABC-4D40-41F4-AB0C-84043BE7CC0B.jpeg
    E5954ABC-4D40-41F4-AB0C-84043BE7CC0B.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 6943A7D0-6530-4FA0-BE18-FDB568EFF4B6.jpeg
    6943A7D0-6530-4FA0-BE18-FDB568EFF4B6.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 4

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
lt’s been a solid week of riding since returning to the Ogden Valley, looping most of my favorites.

Monday, Last Chance Loop...
View attachment 110941

Includes Last Chance, Green Pond & East Fork.
View attachment 110928

Tuesday, Powder Mountain “A” loop.
Not much color up here yet but lots of trees down from a big wind storm a few weeks ago...
View attachment 110929

Includes Sunrise, Picnic, Trail Yeah, Britain's Ribbon & Woodys World.
View attachment 110930

Wednesday, Sardine loop counterclockwise.
View attachment 110934

Includes Sardine, Art Nord/Maples, Ice Box & upper Wheeler.
View attachment 110935

Thursday, Powder mountain “B” loop.
View attachment 110937

Includes Paper Airplane, Baggage Claim, Brim, Britain’s Ribbon & Woodys.
View attachment 110939
Holy cow, that picture of the trees down :eek:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Holy cow, that picture of the trees down :eek:
yeah it’s crazy! I spent last Washington’s birthday lapping those trees.
Here is that same grove of trees during better times...
Brim trail 2.jpg

The powder mountain trail crew worked their butts off to clear all the trails, there is evidence of their work everywhere.

still a few trees blocking the trail at the bottom of icebox canyon...
A96D5AD7-C00C-41AE-A1B3-687B4DDF98C8.jpeg
F995B32A-DF18-4C45-9039-DC6C53825D09.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor