• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel

Having fun
Skier
Interesting, according to the article, I should be around 800mm bar width, but there were the other notes. I cut my bars to 760mm when I set my bike up ( also my last bike ) , width works great for me on my 50mm stem. I have always just done what feels right.

Reactions: nay

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I went for an abbreviated ride today. Rolling along on a ditch trail, I saw a walker approaching with only 20 feet or so to respond. As fate would have it there was a wood bridge to deal with as well.

IMG_20200813_094513111.jpg

She was on the far side of the bridge and visually obscured behind the lodgepoles and evergreens to the right of the bridge.

IMG_20200813_094457479_HDR.jpg

You can sort of make out how my front tire skidded and ran into the wood. I was tipping over to my left as my front wheel washed out. I'm grateful I didn't taco the rim.

IMG_20200813_094219247_HDR.jpg

I didn't get a perfect seal to start, but it finally held air. I made it back to the shop, one tech said 'if it holds air, it's good'. I bought some CO2, Rock & Roll Gold while I was there and when I got back to the bike, it was flat.

So I'm upgrading this DHF 2.25 to a something or other 2.4. It is unfortunate that this tire only had a couple hundred miles on it but better a new tire than an ED visit.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I went for an abbreviated ride today. Rolling along on a ditch trail, I saw a walker approaching with only 20 feet or so to respond. As fate would have it there was a wood bridge to deal with as well.

View attachment 108044
She was on the far side of the bridge and visually obscured behind the lodgepoles and evergreens to the right of the bridge.

View attachment 108045
You can sort of make out how my front tire skidded and ran into the wood. I was tipping over to my left as my front wheel washed out. I'm grateful I didn't taco the rim.

View attachment 108046
I didn't get a perfect seal to start, but it finally held air. I made it back to the shop, one tech said 'if it holds air, it's good'. I bought some CO2, Rock & Roll Gold while I was there and when I got back to the bike, it was flat.

So I'm upgrading this DHF 2.25 to a something or other 2.4. It is unfortunate that this tire only had a couple hundred miles on it but better a new tire than an ED visit.
Bummer, surprised that wood nicked your rim like that :doh:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Bummer, surprised that wood nicked your rim like that :doh:
You know, I was surprised, too. I'm not 100% certain it was the wood. I was laid over pretty hard and the tire may have moved in unexpected ways (rolled sideways?).

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
thankfully, you weren't hurt! But, its a good opportunity to upgrade to a wider tire :cool:
Yes, thanks. I'm picking up the bike right now. I'll be excited to see how it runs for me.

I think I'm going to up my pressure F & R. I was running 16 F, 19 R. The shop guys thought that was kind of low but this is the first failure I've had in two seasons of riding tubeless.

I also have a timber! bell on order. Ding a ling a ling.

Joel

Having fun
Skier
I've tried many different tires for my local rides, DHF, DHR, HRII, Butchers..... I keep going back to DHF 2.6 on the front and recently went to an Aggressor 2.5 on the rear. So far the Aggressor is working well for me. Never had an issue with the DHF other than wearing them out.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, thanks. I'm picking up the bike right now. I'll be excited to see how it runs for me.

I think I'm going to up my pressure F & R. I was running 16 F, 19 R. The shop guys thought that was kind of low but this is the first failure I've had in two seasons of riding tubeless.

I also have a timber! bell on order. Ding a ling a ling.

but you are going from that Width to a 2.4? wider tires= more volume= lower PSI. Here's the Enve Chart, you dont have to be using Enve wheels, just match the inner rim width and tire width along with rider weight.

1597354420955.png

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
but you are going from that Width to a 2.4? wider tires= more volume= lower PSI. Here's the Enve Chart, you dont have to be using Enve wheels, just match the inner rim width and tire width along with rider weight.

View attachment 108064
I had a 2.25 DHF, now it's a 2.4 High Roller. It came highly recommended by the LBS. I was mostly interested in what wider would feel like since I was forced into the change. More to follow after I get out on it.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Good call. That tire is beyond salvage!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I had a 2.25 DHF, now it's a 2.4 High Roller. It came highly recommended by the LBS. I was mostly interested in what wider would feel like since I was forced into the change. More to follow after I get out on it.

Although I presently run a 2.5 DHF up Front and a 2.5 aggressor rear, I rode on Highroller ll’s for years on my previous bikes and I always had confidence & good luck with them, mostly 2.4’s. :bikewheelie:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
FWIW, and Im no expert, I still love 2.6's.

2.6 all the way. I have zero idea why taking away tire is better. My son was running 2.5 / 2.4 Maxxis and he destroyed both of them installing cushcore (when he is working it is at Discount Tire as a tire tech, don’t try cushcore at home by yourself) and I had the shop install 2.6 Butchers. He absolutely loves it.

I beat the crap out of my 2.6 Butchers during the enduro race last weekend. It’s a tall tire on a 30mm ID rims (as Specialized specs the combo), Grid Trail casing (Grid is like Maxxis Exo, Trail makes it just a bit stouter), no DH or heavy casing. At 18-19 PSI, no rim hits or cases of any kind raging through nasty stuff at high speed. Tires are getting better. A lot better.

2.6 are the one-oh skis of tires. The boy’s 37 lb monster with proper tires:

221A1034-A01F-4F9F-9A84-233FD78A6D34.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2.6 all the way. I have zero idea why taking away tire is better.

Horses for courses, IMO.

When I'm riding "the chunk" in Moab, etc., I love the 2.6 for the cushier ride. Everywhere else, I found them sluggish, heavy, etc., even to the point of the bike feeling slower handling when snapping from one cornering direction to the other. Similar to taking my Slash out on a ride of mellow green and blue trails.

However, for the pics of what you and the kids are racing, 2.6 all the way! What's next on the schedule?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have narrow rims, 25mm I think. Wider tires benefit from wider rims, right?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have narrow rims, 25mm I think. Wider tires benefit from wider rims, right?

25 mm is pretty narrow, especially by today's "bro" standards. I wouldn't go bigger than a 2.4 tire at that width, and even that would be stretching things according to some.

But a 2.6 is a no-go on a 25 mm rim. You'd have to overinflate it in order to prevent squirm, negating most of the benefits of a wider tire. All you'd gain is weight!

IMO.

Reactions: Ron

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Apart from the rubber, I'm riding what my bike had when it was new. I'll have more options if/when I need new wheels.

TBH, I was quite happy with the 2.25s but I wanted to fatten up to see what it was like.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@Tom K. is correct (of course!) you really want a 35 rim for a 2.6 tire. It a personal choice but I find the DHF/R a great tire but its overkill for XC trails including moderate rocks and roots and of course, thats a lot of added weight and roll resistance. Again, I have become a fan of Bontrager tires and wouldn't hesitate to put a XR3 29x2.4 on a bike.

One advantage to wider tires is that they provide more grip/stopping power and stability making a less aggressive tread more usable/functional. YMMV and im sure expert riders will still prefer a narrower tire.

However: Shave 560 grams (1.25 pounds) off your bike and reduce your rolling resistance while giving up nearly nothing on XC trails by going to a Bonti 2.4.
DHR 29x2.4. 3C Maxx= 1035
DHR 29x2.6 3C Maxx= 955

Bontrager XR3 29x 2.4= 755
Forekaster 29x2.6= 3C Maxx 840.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.