• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Might as well start this with my first ride of the year. Great conditions.

CC511646-F711-4832-825D-F33E61448AAA.jpeg
788877FE-CA0B-43AB-A719-6E1789775A27.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I miss my bike...tossing around the idea of riding our 2.6 tires on fat bike trails that have been groomed. Saw video of Emily Batty doing it and decided it's worth a shot. Only problem is lack of cold weather riding gear, especially shoes.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No riding here. Two inches of rain on the valley floor!

A few days before the New Year, I rented a fat bike in Whitefish MT with an old college buddy. Conditions were PERFECT for riding the Whitefish Trail. Actual, awesome single track with just a couple inches of packed snow on it.

My friend fat bikes a lot, and said it was the single best ride he'd been on, so I've got nowhere to go with that experience but down!

@AmyPJ, in those conditions, 2.6 XR4s would have rocked until the last mile of trail. As the trail became less worn in, we did need a bit of float.

My fat bike takeaway? Two hours of fat biking is a great way to get three hours of exercise! :roflmao:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Jersey Skier - what bars are you running? Do those have as much sweep as they look like they do?

TS
Jersey Skier

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Jersey Skier - what bars are you running? Do those have as much sweep as they look like they do?

Answer 20/20 bars. So 20 degrees. I used to run Jones H-bars on my SS so I got used to a lot of sweep. i find them much more comfortable than more “normal” bars.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My daughter was out fat biking on the 26th with her boyfriend in the Haskill Basin area. They had two dogs with them.

We were on the 29th, starting at Lion Mountain TH. Didn't see any other bikes, which surprised us. Lots of hikers and dogs on the way back, near the TH. Everybody friendly. Glad we started early.

My friend rides a lot of icy trails, so has studded tires. My rental bike did not. They were a definite advantage the first mile or so, then the ice patches were gone.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Answer 20/20 bars. So 20 degrees. I used to run Jones H-bars on my SS so I got used to a lot of sweep. i find them much more comfortable than more “normal” bars.

I'll have to check those out. I used to have a pair of 13 degree 3T/Salsa bars that I really liked. I think it's weird how there are so few choices for sweep. For the longest time it was only 3 or 5 degrees, now it seems it is always 9.

scott43

Skier
Wow..nice. It was 12C here yesterday morning followed by 70mm of rain..about 2.75"..mostly frozen ground..then down below freezing again today..stellar for flooding and making mud pies... :( I found a nice aluminum frame for $135...$325 shipping..

Tony

tseeb
Skier
After skiing 6 of the first 9 days of the 2020s, I was home for one day, then flew to Puerto Vallarta, where I got in my first ride. I’d done 1/2 day tours with a company here at least three times and wanted to do all day tour that uses a shuttle, then ride to Yelapa, then boat to return, but 2 riders are required and nobody else was interested this week so I contacted shop to tell them Wed AM worked well as my wife had other plans. The tour to El Salto cascada costs $60. I missed it by about 10 min, but owner of shop said I could probably catch them and rented me a 29” Giant hardtail for $25 for the day including helmet, pack with tube, pump and tools and two bottles of water. (ecoridemex.com)

I missed a turn and ended up climbing to Canopy River where they have some big zip lines.
B6C07E99-081E-4B3F-BEA4-B7ADDDD29792.jpeg

After getting on right road and doing a bit more walking than usual since I did not have toe-clips or SPDs, I ran into the tour on their return when I was almost to waterfall. Between two guides, one friend and two customers from CO, they did not have a pump and one of the customers had a hole in tubeless rear tire. They guides were able to add a tube and pump it up. We were about 12K from shop.

A bridge for ATVs was started last time I was there and had been completed.
8612A23B-42FF-4438-9B41-639A33213B86.jpeg
00716B4E-5B52-4BF0-A890-14CC18680FBF.jpeg

Gate was opened when ATVs came so I walked out and took picture of a rider jumping into the cascada
A1244DDD-76F9-4B96-8F85-D5BFC22A4A9D.jpeg

(which I did on both my previous visits). Highlight of the trip was seeing three pairs of parrots on the way up and then having these
0C02F830-FBE4-4D1C-89AE-243B3E0A8AFE.jpeg

two take off from tree over road on return. It was warm (low to mid-80s) and humid due to overcast so it was good I had two waters. Last picture shows another suspension bridge that I have seen ATVs ride across. Canopy River thatched roof is barely visible on left.
F981BDC7-C119-49DF-8706-0C7EC3066EAA.jpeg

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'll just leave this here.

Danny hits another grand slam.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our riding in the PNW is a bit too good for early March.

Hoping we get a resurgence of winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online