• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You are right. My limit is about 12" diameter. It is a busy time of year for maintenance.
If i am going out to do a lot of trail cutting this saw just fits in my mountainsmith pack. The 18 inch blade allows for a long lazy cut. Pine is easy, the dead aged hardwoods take some time.https://www.lowes.com/pd/Corona-18-in-Pruning-Saw/1070921

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
New bikes are all but out of stock...this makes the used market rediculous....if you have anything of value....sell sell sell...thats what we did. New bikes should be in this week. Stay tuned. HINT: Some will not epprove. ;)
Recently acquired this beauty! Any bidders?
4CFA0CF6-0FB6-4417-A403-B6F825918DB8.jpeg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have a Voodoo Dejab. It was sweet in the day and still climbs like a goat.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't know anything about Voodoo or this bike. Any idea how old it is?
I'd say mid to late 90's. Can you get a picture of the other side with the drivetrain. The back of the crank and shifters look like Shimano Altus...a lower level group.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I got my VooDoo in the late 90s. My dejab is a Titanium hardtail. It came with a RockShox SL with 2" of travel. I came across the Manitou which has 3" of travel so I upgraded it. It also had cool Scott bars that had integral bar ends.

20171008_120238.jpg

This photo was from 3 years back when my other bike was in the shop.

Last edited:

4ster

Instructor
I'd say mid to late 90's. Can you get a picture of the other side with the drivetrain. The back of the crank and shifters look like Shimano Altus...a lower level group.

Shimano STX...
C934511E-BB06-49C8-B715-EC42602FDAF7.jpeg
798C9A2C-1135-4EF7-957B-4270164018AB.jpeg
489AE3FB-0A57-4AAB-B65B-5498869F3BBE.jpeg
FC647809-C078-4CA2-9604-EA23B769D1CB.jpeg
824A5048-408F-4A19-B54F-6191DD6D7A03.jpeg

4ster

Instructor
The Stingray is intriguing.

The Sting Ray is my first new bike. Santa brought it around when I was in 2nd grade. It is probably worth more now than the Voodoo was when new.
Almost all original...
98b98b47_Stingray+1.JPG

STX rear derailleur but an Altus crank (and front derailleur) . My guess is it was a $549-599 bike back in 96-98 range.
Thanks Phil. That was about the time I purchased my K2 (Pro-flex) which IIRC was my first full suspension bike, it had a Norleen single spring fork. Wish I had a photo of that one.
It replaced this shiny aluminum RD I donated to a friend decades ago. I came across it a few years ago, glad to see it still getting use. I added the Manitou fork...
RD.JPG

The RD replaced the Scot which was outfitted with SunTour components.
First trip to Moab & the Slickrock Trail around 1991...
Moab Slickrock 80's.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

4ster

Instructor
TS
Jersey Skier

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
@Jersey Skier how is the bike shop doing? IIRC, you were worried about not being able to move your inventory. Looks like all the bike shops around here are entirely out of bikes now.... wishing they could get MORE inventory to keep up. I'm hoping that things went that way for you too and you were at least able to move what you had available to save your season. Also hoping that more supply arrives soon if that's the case.

Anyone else out there been to a bike shop lately who can report back?

Been to busy to log in to Pugski for weeks.

Spring started out with my worst March and early April. Down about 60%. This quickly turned around as boredom set in to the quarantined masses. In about 3 weeks I sold almost every bike in inventory. As the bikes under $1000 sold out people continued to shop and make purchases that they never would consider under normal circumstances. I've sold $1000+ Gravel bikes to people who wanted hybrids because all the hybrids are gone. I've sold $2000 hardtails to tall kids because all the kids bikes were gone. On Thursday there was a Peaceful Protest across the street at the local municipal complex. I sold a protester an $1100 gravel bike to get home because Uber was stopped by the police barricade and couldn't get down the road.

While all this was happening(with doors still locked) I've had hundreds of repairs dropped off. My normal turnaround on tune ups is 2-3 days with maybe a week during holiday crunch times. Right now I'm quoting 3 1/2 weeks for tune ups and that might be optimistic. I have over 50 bikes that just have flat tires. Normally we do those while the customer waits, but when 10 people are dropping off bikes all at once we just can't stop to fix a flat. The pile just grows.

Suppliers are now out of repair parts and accessories so I'm not sure when we will come to a screeching halt. I've priced out storage containers to store the repair bikes in the parking lot as the shop and showroom are packed with customer's bikes.

The phones ring literally non-stop. People are just looking for bikes that we don't have and have no idea when we will. I leave the machine to deal with them because my answering the phone is just a waste of time at the moment.

Every once in a while miss the days of Winter when I can sit and surf the internet and worry about how I'm going to pay the bills. For now, it's Sunday morning before 7:30 and I'm heading to the shop to fix bikes with the doors locked. No reason to open on Sundays anymore as there are no bikes to sell.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Spring started out with my worst March and early April. Down about 60%. This quickly turned around as boredom set in to the quarantined masses. In about 3 weeks I sold almost every bike in inventory. As the bikes under $1000 sold out people continued to shop and make purchases that they never would consider under normal circumstances. I've sold $1000+ Gravel bikes to people who wanted hybrids because all the hybrids are gone. I've sold $2000 hardtails to tall kids because all the kids bikes were gone. On Thursday there was a Peaceful Protest across the street at the local municipal complex. I sold a protester an $1100 gravel bike to get home because Uber was stopped by the police barricade and couldn't get down the road.

While all this was happening(with doors still locked) I've had hundreds of repairs dropped off. My normal turnaround on tune ups is 2-3 days with maybe a week during holiday crunch times. Right now I'm quoting 3 1/2 weeks for tune ups and that might be optimistic. I have over 50 bikes that just have flat tires. Normally we do those while the customer waits, but when 10 people are dropping off bikes all at once we just can't stop to fix a flat. The pile just grows.

Suppliers are now out of repair parts and accessories so I'm not sure when we will come to a screeching halt. I've priced out storage containers to store the repair bikes in the parking lot as the shop and showroom are packed with customer's bikes.

The phones ring literally non-stop. People are just looking for bikes that we don't have and have no idea when we will. I leave the machine to deal with them because my answering the phone is just a waste of time at the moment.

Every once in a while miss the days of Winter when I can sit and surf the internet and worry about how I'm going to pay the bills. For now, it's Sunday morning before 7:30 and I'm heading to the shop to fix bikes with the doors locked. No reason to open on Sundays anymore as there are no bikes to sell.
Welcome back, we have been thinking about you.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

My favorite is the protester who bought the $1100 gravel bike to get home. That's crazy! What a story. Trek Marlins, which all run below $1000, are being ordered in droves at the shop da man works at. It'll be interesting to see how many people get out on the trails on one and quickly realize they need more bike and either quit riding, or upgrade. (My daughter has one--it's a nice little tooling around bike, but I quickly can max out the travel on it, even locked out.)

Anyway, I'm glad you've been busy.

I got @utskier to clean up my old Trek 930. It needed a chain and new tubes, and new rear shifter cables. Will get some pics. (I need some pics of HIM on it, because it's hilariously small.) Lucky me, I have a bicycle repairman. Now, what to price it at? I remember when I bought that bike in 1996, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I remember riding it a few times on the trails near Folsom in CA, and not particularly enjoying it! I never did ride it much. It didn't fit me very well.

Oh, and our trails are so ridiculously busy, it's gotten not-so-fun anymore. As in, probably a 150% or more increase in traffic just based on the cars parked at the trailheads. I honestly hate it. My escapes have turned into nearly getting run into from riders coming down at mach schnell, or having to traverse through hoards who are stopped along the trail, on foot or on bike, which takes away from the tranquility that I used to enjoy particularly on weekdays. I think the heaviness of what is happening in the world, combined with the anger and aggressiveness and sheer numbers we encountered on the trail on Friday had me in tears during the ride. To add to it, we've seen a HUGE spike in cases of Covid in Utah. I went on a women's club group ride on Wednesday, but won't be doing that again anytime soon. I'm ready for everybody to go back to the gym, and to their kids' soccer games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online