• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil posted some before and after photos of the fire destruction here

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got to ride a little with @Plai this morning up on Peavine...before the winds came in.
View attachment 105296 View attachment 105297 View attachment 105298

Phil was kind enough to *NOT* mention me biffing on a downhill series of switch backs. I was taking them a little fast/hard, trying to use the outside berm for support on the turns. Well, one of the "berms" was a little soft (sand), my front wheel washed out and I went down. [Pictures of knee scraps omitted for gentle readers ;-]

My usual trails in the Santa Cruz mountains are pretty much loam or soft-ish dirt. I hadn't gone tubeless, because I didn't need the lower tire pressure. So, why fix something not broken?

Well, the Peavine's rocky terrain (not shown in above pictures), sandy terrain, and really hard pack kept me wondering if I should make the switch over to tubeless. It would probably provide a less bouncy ride (read more controllable), softer ride (read more controllable), and get me more grip (read more controllable ;-).

Tubelss discussion was moved here.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
On the exciting front, I just ordered a new mountain bike. I tell myself it's so I can keep up with my kids who have gotten very fast on the trails, but in reality, I probably just like buying new gear.
On the downside, seemingly because of COVID, it's a 6-8 week lead time to build/get it...guess I'll be the slow dad chasing my daughters for a while longer.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We played with the Motion Shot App on the iPhone.
DC517C39-796C-4BFD-B0B9-48AD0EF3D51D.JPG
A7176EED-8169-4D53-BECA-FE30035111BF.JPG
E5A53F1F-AD20-4698-BD31-C1F7CD6D3CE8.JPG
4ED1EA7A-D199-4821-A04C-DA14269F7AE5.JPG

Check out the Poeville thread for more fire scar pics.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We played with the Motion Shot App on the iPhone.

OK, there are 4 Tricias in each shot, and 5 or 6 Phils in each shot, which can only mean.........

Tricia is going faster than Phil! :ogbiggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow we have some great Tubeless conversation here.
Should it be moved to its own discussion?
What say you?

@Tom K. Just so you know, my socks have snails on them. I just hope I can keep up with my socks.
:roflmao:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Moved tubeless discussion here

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Another fun day on the trails. We were going to do one loop but diverged for the sake of my K's curiosity. Tomorrow we'll do the intended loop.

There was a drone at the parking lot flying his drone while his car idled and his BT music came and went since he was walking around. I turned his car off through the open window.

Another drone on the trail.

I was just standing at a junction and heard a buzzing sound. I looked all around, checked my phone then looked up. He just hovered with a couple side trips for about 5 minutes. I don't know why. I don't use fragrant shampoo or soap. :huh:

Edited: I'm sorry the phone didn't pick up the buzzing sound. It was what brought my attention to it in the first place.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I just happened to see the original post of this on FB beause another friend shared it.
Its guy who lives and works in St George, UT, at an Orthopedics center and posted about his buddy. Says the rattler tried to strike the rear tire.
I had a rattler strike at me from the side of the road while on my road bike once...

... it missed.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Rode White Ranch today - this is outside of Golden. 2K of vert up loose rocky trail followed by a 100% technical descent down Longhorn, non-stop rocks and drops. 9 miles total, excellent training for the Revolution Enduro race we are riding in Eagle in the 12th.

772C2ED6-6EC0-4BD5-A7DE-35CC88296CF0.jpeg
33545FC3-BC90-4F13-91E4-1C168D3A356C.jpeg
7322B1C9-46FA-4494-8EB3-5F289660B176.jpeg

89C88426-6570-40B1-B90F-E93E618E167E.jpeg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
A nice Hidden Mesa shakeout 10 mile ride yesterday. Typical Front Range butte trail with about 300-400’ of ascent and then loop. Some fun slick rock features up top and optional lines. Nice change of scenery.

D7190FB0-D3B4-4ED7-8497-B1DC6FEA12D4.jpeg

The boy on a fun little optional line.

760BC0D9-3E97-451A-9D48-96853E98A2FF.jpeg

Then made all time burgers and almost died.

610B3408-9433-496A-BB94-58DB639E877B.jpeg

1/2 lb grass fed beef
Tender Belly bacon
shredded BBQ chicken
roasted pablano peppers
fried onions (the batter fell off so it was batter crumbles and onions fried in smoked pork fat)
chipotle mayo
guac

This is justified by a 50 mile MTB week, right?

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another fun day on the trails. We were going to do one loop but diverged for the sake of my K's curiosity. Tomorrow we'll do the intended loop.

There was a drone at the parking lot flying his drone while his car idled and his BT music came and went since he was walking around. I turned his car off through the open window.

Another drone on the trail.

I was just standing at a junction and heard a buzzing sound. I looked all around, checked my phone then looked up. He just hovered with a couple side trips for about 5 minutes. I don't know why. I don't use fragrant shampoo or soap. :huh:

Edited: I'm sorry the phone didn't pick up the buzzing sound. It was what brought my attention to it in the first place.
Not mountain bike related, but I was in my back yard which is pretty private, (so I was dressed accordingly ;) ) and heard a buzzing sound, looked up and saw a drone go by. A few minutes later the same drone came by and hovered. I went inside, but I'm sure there is video of me enjoying nature in my back yard somewhere.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Wow, went to Trestle BP las Friday and was sooooo impressed with the quality of the trails. MAD PROPS to their trail crew. Their work is very much noticed and appreciated.

Bad vid I took with my old GoPro session mounted on the stem :geek: :huh: I was very conservative since I had never ridden those trails before but at the end I could trust them a LOT. They are that good. My SC Hightower LT was perfect for this (and the harder trails not on the video)

I cant think of a better place to progress. Wow.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Not sure my 100mm xc fully with xc tires and seat way above handlebar (droperposts are overrated) was proper fit for these trails, but as I had no intention to walk down, so there was no other options then just ride it :)

View attachment 105746

With that stem and bars... :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online