• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain biking 2019

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
:eek:

I think I'll stick with my $25 pump and the "does my tire feel like an over-ripe banana, an almost ripe avocado or a 2x4"-method.

me too. i use what gives best result and just use what is on my readout however, if I tell you 19psi on my prestaflator (which is very accurate). your 25$ pump may read 15 or 25. :). just be aware of this. Also, that doesn't mean your $25 pump will read the same pressure each time, its ability to accurately show psi includes consistency. so if the actual pressure is 25psi, and your pump shows 22, how consistently does it read 22?

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
All this talk of pressure reminds me of when I was getting a new bike, upgrading from a 2000ish GF Sugar 2+ to brand new SC Solo C. The new dynamics of tubeless 27.5 vs tube 26 along with slightly wider tires was a bit overwhelming. I weigh 192 # and run my Maxxis Minion DHFs (front) at 16 psi and the Maxxis Ardent Race (rear) at 21 psi (s/b 23, but I just measured them and they were fine on my last ride.) It continues to amaze me that the pressures are so low after riding tube tires at much higher pressure for soooo long. I don't ride gentle trails (they are often quite rocky) and I don't feel they are squishy or loose in turns.

I think Erik(?) suggested lowering pressure a pound at a time until you feel squish or rim strikes then adding back in. That is effectively what I did and the pressures I've mentioned are based on that approach. My floor pump is old and analog. My best investment (after the Solo C itself) was a digital tire gauge so I can accurately determine desired pressure and maintain it on a daily basis.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
me too. i use what gives best result and just use what is on my readout however, if I tell you 19psi on my prestaflator (which is very accurate). your 25$ pump may read 15 or 25. :). just be aware of this.

QFT.

An accurate pressure gauge is essential when you are talking about 1 or 2 PSI differences/adjustments. Also, 1 or 2 PSI can easily mean the difference between squishy and that rock solid yet super grippy feel.

Is it correct to believe that the lighter the rider, the more critical accurate, repeatable tire pressure is?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
QFT.

An accurate pressure gauge is essential when you are talking about 1 or 2 PSI differences/adjustments. Also, 1 or 2 PSI can easily mean the difference between squishy and that rock solid yet super grippy feel.

Is it correct to believe that the lighter the rider, the more critical accurate, repeatable tire pressure is?

no, although as a percentage of bike weight to rider weight ratio changes, the accuracy in all cases is paramount. now, you could look at riding conditions and then change psi's but now we are getting in the weeds. :)

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Where you are riding makes a big difference too. 25-26 psi feels great for me on regular trail rides, but slain' berms in the park I need at least 29 psi or it's pretty sketchy.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
How much variance in tires performance is due to construction of the tire? Do some have stiffer sidewalls than others?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
that's correct, that is shown in sidewall protection and TPI. softer casings absorb more vibration (suspension) and provide a smoother ride (as a result ) but of course Make a tire more susceptible to sidewall cuts; cross country riding generally doesn't need as much and you can run a higher TPI tire which weighs less too

thicker sidewalls also don't flex as much which means they don't deform as well meaning they create more energy loss, its a balance of efficiency and protection,

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia and I just got back from some exploring of the Tahoe-Pyramid Trail.
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_5645.jpg
IMG_5647.jpg
IMG_5650.jpg

@KULKEA Micropack in action.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^^^^
What fun this trail was. I have to admit that there were a couple sections that I felt like the trail was on a ledge and if I messed up I'd end up tumbling over rocks into the Truckee River, but that's just head games left over from my own trippiness. I think this is going to be a favorite early morning ride for us.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
ok, so does anyone want to discuss psi and typical pressure change when inflating in the AM at 50 degrees at 5K feet then driving up to 9500' at 75* :).
I talk about this and get scoffed at :rolleyes:
Love all the discussion about tire pressure. It still seems so elusive to me. I have an analog hand gauge, but am considering a digital gauge for better accuracy.
Going on a very rocky ride tonight. I have 15 psi in the front and 17 in the back. (At least, that's what my pump says.) According to my gauge, my pump reads a tad on the light side.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
looks like a nice trail.

is Trish using a new design for kulkea?
He miss tagged that. He's got the Kulkea Micro Pack paired with the 1.5L Hydrapak for riding.
I'm using the Camelback Repack.
I've been using that for over a year. I was looking for hydration specific before we found the Hydrapak that works with Kulkea's Micro Pack