• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain biking 2019

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It wasn't my tranny that overheated. It was an F-150/250. The owner said, don't bother with 4WL, so the tranny was doing the heavy lifting. He was able to drive it out after refilling the tranny; it took the full amount listed in the manual. He didn't make it home to CO, though. Ended up replacing the Ford with a Tundra.

Taco Taco
IMG_0557.JPG IMG_0559.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0558.JPG
    IMG_0558.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 3

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^
Bear Brook has some really nice trails. I rode there about a decade ago, had a nice long ride too because I left the trail map I had sent away for at home and got hopelessly lost.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Bear Brook is one of the areas I really want to go try out. I have only heard great things about it.

First ride of the year with leaves on the ground was Thursday, Love it makes everything drifty and refreshes the tread of the trail for next year. I use to hate leaved covered trails, and still do if the leaves are hiding guide stones.

like and subscribe if you want to. Eventually the channel is going to feature MTB/ski tech and well as pretty regular stowe updates.

Also anywhere in new england you guys know that is loamy? I would love to hear about it. Also if you want some follow cam of yourself and are fairly local or hell anywhere in new england PM and we can try set something up.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I totally get the 'for us' part. The riding is good and fun but the place itself is incredible.

I've only done it with large groups, sag supported. One time we did a 50 mile ride for the fun of it. We did it once as one of the first groups after they rebuilt the washed out section that comes up to Mineral Bottom (see last photo). Once I had to do an emergency trip to Moab to get ATF for the other vehicle which had overheated the tranny and blown all the ATF out the filler tube. That was on Halloween.

View attachment 81510 View attachment 81511 View attachment 81512 View attachment 81513 View attachment 81514 View attachment 81515
L to R, top to bottom:
Shafer Trail - not for the timid
The same arch as in one of your photso, I believe
A night at camp
Paella - this guy would make it every trip. He now has a restaurant where it is the specialty of the house
My Taco loaded and ready to go
One of the freshly paved sections

I haven't been back in years. Thanks for putting up with my reminiscing.

The paella picture in canyon country is the best picture in this thread. Brilliant!!!

Reactions: nay

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Rode with a bunch of stowe guys from Stowe shop to Manitoba, Canada on sunday. IN an age of manicured trails built with machines this was a cool ride getting back to the roots of riding in this area.

I would says the best clips are at 5:00 its much longer than I would normally make.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Watch the video... we are being coy about where we are riding because it’s not 100 percent legit

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Watch the video... we are being coy about where we are riding because it’s not 100 percent legit
I was wondering about that! That's funny.

The fall colors are out in force here--the aspens are just now turning and are gorgeous. My pics don't do them justice. Rode Saturday and Sunday with @4ster and others, and loved it. The pace was significantly slower than I ride, and was a good lesson for me. I can ride a LOT farther without hitting a brick wall when I slow down. What a concept! Rode a 12 miler-1900 foot climb ride today, took it slower on the climbs and felt great! Somewhere, somehow I get it into my head to ride like a bat out of hell while climbing. I honestly blame Strava.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I was wondering about that! That's funny.

The fall colors are out in force here--the aspens are just now turning and are gorgeous. My pics don't do them justice. Rode Saturday and Sunday with @4ster and others, and loved it. The pace was significantly slower than I ride, and was a good lesson for me. I can ride a LOT farther without hitting a brick wall when I slow down. What a concept! Rode a 12 miler-1900 foot climb ride today, took it slower on the climbs and felt great! Somewhere, somehow I get it into my head to ride like a bat out of hell while climbing. I honestly blame Strava.
I used to ride at the same pace as when I raced. Slowing down is hard to do. But worth the added trail time. ;)

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
there are rides to go long, and rides to go balls out. The thing is you can actually get faster at balls out by going long and slow....

Best time to take pics of fall colors is under cloud cover if you can. Sun washes them out.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Great conditions & fun company riding with @AmyPJ & crew over the weekend. We were a group of 7 on Sunday with about 700 leafers out to see the changing colors help to slow the pace. Definitely a social ride which makes it all that much more memorable. Like @Josh Matta says, mixing up the pace & type of riding you do always makes you stronger & more versatile. We also had a couple of moose encounters.
FCD0AF64-701D-417C-B198-D0CCB14301AE.jpeg

Tough light for photos over the weekend but here’s a few...
@AmyPJ on the overlook
E916ED97-2373-48F6-ACE7-E9A58EDFD7B1.jpeg

Da boys on the confounded bridge
85852F10-A8FD-44BC-A52F-775B4A3B5CF6.jpeg

Sunday crew on Last Chance
6CAEBA14-40CE-4006-91D6-32CAADD43DE8.jpeg

Amy above the lodge at Snowbasin
1B5CD081-6ED8-4F0B-8A5E-5EB306A0C21C.jpeg

Solo on Monday on Sundowner at Pow Mow
72845E11-D78A-4075-B063-6502BB8E9C57.jpeg

3000’ lower
6412CBB7-F839-42DE-BC7B-44B36D494B32.jpeg

Today went back for a similar ride with Craig
5A13C9D9-F58E-4ABD-B4FF-00C315C300AB.jpeg

North Ogden Divide in the distance
D7751FA0-0F09-43C6-AFF0-CA03EB2B3604.jpeg

Snow inthe forecast tomorrow
:bikewheelie::bikewheelie::bikewheelie:
:bestday:

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the friends we rode with had a devastating knee injury last January (double TPF, obliterated it on one side, plus other injuries to that knee) and she is KILLING it on the bike. I'm happy to be adding another friend to the biking buddy pool.

Thanks for being our photog, 4ster!

And yes to riding slower more often now.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, not mtb specific, but this seems to be the pugski photo thread of choice, so a couple of shots from our Monday ride around Crater Lake Oregon. You could take 20 trips, and not necessarily see a day this calm, with the full reflection effect. We were so lucky. And the previous week's snow just made out 55 degree day even more beautiful!

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2879.jpg
    IMG_2879.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 2

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And there it is, the Orb-E-a.

Beautiful shots.

Mini-review: She loves the light assist e-Orbea! Rides twice as much as ever, due to no longer being discouraged by our local headwinds and BIG hills.

Rode the mtb yesterday, and she observed that she is in better shape than last fall, simply because she rides more.

Note: Seldom using more the 30 or 40% assist, but when riding solo, has become a bit of a speed demon, stating "why wouldn't I go as fast as I can?".

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Got the new Fuel EX 9.8 for da man. The XT brakes are a nice addition, it's a gorgeous bike. I hopped on it with his eggbeater pedals and tennis shoes and I'm thinking I'm going to love geometry changes. Mine arrives early next week, just in time for a few more October rides. I'm excited!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got the new Fuel EX 9.8 for da man. The XT brakes are a nice addition, it's a gorgeous bike. I hopped on it with his eggbeater pedals and tennis shoes and I'm thinking I'm going to love geometry changes. Mine arrives early next week, just in time for a few more October rides. I'm excited!

Mine arrived at the shop yesterday, and.......we're on a month-long Oregon safari so I won't see it until then!

But the Top Fuel has to be THE ultimate weapon for Bend, Oregon. I turned 60 this year, no longer train seriously, and equalled 2 out of 4 climbing PRs.

In the meantime, here's a beautiful shot of Benham Falls from yesterday.

IMG_2899.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine arrived at the shop yesterday, and.......we're on a month-long Oregon safari so I won't see it until then!

But the Top Fuel has to be THE ultimate weapon for Bend, Oregon. I turned 60 this year, no longer train seriously, and equalled 2 out of 4 climbing PRs.

In the meantime, here's a beautiful shot of Benham Falls from yesterday.

View attachment 81822
I was SERIOUSLY tempted by the Top Fuel. If I decide I don't like it for climbing, I might just get a Top Fuel next year.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was SERIOUSLY tempted by the Top Fuel. If I decide I don't like it for climbing, I might just get a Top Fuel next year.

My ONLY gripe with the Top Fuel is the two-position remote. Either open, or fully locked.

Now that my racing days are over, I find I ride a lot in the sort-of-firm middle position in the rear, especially when climbing. Conversely, it's great in the front. I either run the fork open or locked, finding the middle position relatively useless.

I may be looking into a "regular" rear shock, but will wait awhile longer, in case it turns out that I come around to loving it.

Sponsor

Staff online