• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain biking 2019

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I actually have an old Trek 930 in (my ex's) garage with curved bar ends like that. I really should drag it out of there and take it for a spin.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Got comfortable with this little chute that I was balking at earlier this summer. Drop in is upper left in the pic inside the tree and you have to make a quick 90 degree turn as you drop.

Easy once committed. Really easy with the pic taking out the steepness :P.

80D5949D-0B6A-4F67-A146-3E2A155D5F98.jpeg

Looking in from when I was balking. Still doesn’t look like much.

1F4880D2-DA70-4EE6-8F03-780E96FA0BBE.jpeg

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I could probably assemble a late 90's Voodoo djab with mostly original parts. Right now the frame has a lot of new components as it was used until the late 00's. Apparently the part that most would have died for back then was the Scott bars with the integrated climbing bar ends. Photos in the AM.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
After no precipitation for the past three months we had a quick soaker blow through Tahoe yesterday. It actually accumulated snow above 7000 feet but except for higher elevations it melted quickly.
Got out yesterday afternoon when temps were in the 40s and then again this morning for some awesome brown pow and even a little snow on the trails.

Yesterday afternoon
9F1BE33F-0D19-48BE-B6BE-9CE5638C5B7E.jpeg

& this morning
AF9A9B3D-163D-4C76-AE75-042EE4427831.jpeg

Sooo Good! :bikewheelie:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
one of my skiing friend is getting into riding, so I went to trail system I havent rode in 3 years last night. Rode the easier stuff but its super fun and flowly, in fact the handbuilt trails at Saxon are way smoother and flowier than the majority of machine built trails being put in.

Here is some POV video. Trying to find the right export setting, but youtube is crushing quality right now and its driving me crazy!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After no precipitation for the past three months we had a quick soaker blow through Tahoe yesterday. It actually accumulated snow above 7000 feet but except for higher elevations it melted quickly.
Got out yesterday afternoon when temps were in the 40s and then again this morning for some awesome brown pow and even a little snow on the trails.

Yesterday afternoon
View attachment 80343

& this morning
View attachment 80344

Sooo Good! :bikewheelie:
You should be pointing behind you!

Let us know when you're back! The new East Fork has lost its downhill flow and is a lot more switchbacky, and I miss the downhill flow, BUT the climb is not as much of a grind now, so there's that.
The section between Icebox and Middle Fork on Wheeler is an absolute disaster. I mean, it's been bad since I've moved here 5 years ago, but it's HIDEOUS now. Riding it (down) tomorrow. Can't wait! :rolleyes:

Honestly, Park City is becoming my new favorite place to ride now that the masses have discovered PowMow and even Snowbasin. Heading south to ride Thunder Mountain and explore Bryce Canyon this weekend with our favorite Swiss skier and his awesome wife.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Yeah I love how that line start with literally like 3 foot gaps and ends with about the step down to to the 12 foot long Step up at the end. At least the step up is case-able, the bigger 20 footers there(not in the video) are 90 degree edge log platform landing and I wont touch them.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

Let us know when you're back! The new East Fork has lost its downhill flow and is a lot more switchbacky, and I miss the downhill flow, BUT the climb is not as much of a grind now, so there's that.
The section between Icebox and Middle Fork on Wheeler is an absolute disaster. I mean, it's been bad since I've moved here 5 years ago, but it's HIDEOUS now. Riding it (down) tomorrow. Can't wait! :rolleyes:

Honestly, Park City is becoming my new favorite place to ride now that the masses have discovered PowMow and even Snowbasin. Heading south to ride Thunder Mountain and explore Bryce Canyon this weekend with our favorite Swiss skier and his awesome wife.

thunder mountain is pretty great. Honestly not amazing riding but a very unique riding experience. take shit tons of water, I literally gave a water bottle to a couple on hybrid bikes out there.

If you have TIME imo the best riding in that central southern utah area is Virgin River RIm area. it high alpine riding aboove the red rocks desert, and has crazy views and some really good flowy downhills. On your drive down if you go the back way Price, Ut is for sure worth stopping at if its not too hot.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
thunder mountain is pretty great. Honestly not amazing riding but a very unique riding experience. take shit tons of water, I literally gave a water bottle to a couple on hybrid bikes out there.

If you have TIME imo the best riding in that central southern utah area is Virgin River RIm area. it high alpine riding aboove the red rocks desert, and has crazy views and some really good flowy downhills. On your drive down if you go the back way Price, Ut is for sure worth stopping at if its not too hot.
Thankfully the high is supposed to be in the low 60s this weekend (which will make for some cold tent camping!) But we usually carry two bottles and a CamelBak on rides like this. I've heard that the ride itself is OK but the scenery is what makes the ride. Bonus is we'll have great company!

I think we're going to head south later in the fall to ride some of that stuff-we'll see if it happens because October is always a blur for some reason.

4ster

Instructor

I plan to be back early next week, so maybe ride with you guys the following weekend?
I am a little leery of the crowds on my usual local rides there. From what I have been hearing it is getting out of control with masses of new riders. I even just but one of those annoying bells like you have in anticipation. Hopefully crowds mellow before the season is over.

I hope the recent rains have improved things because that section down to Ice Box is one of my regular routes & hard to avoid as I like riding Ice Box, please report what you find tomorrow. I may have to climb out on Middle Fork & up to finish DH on East Fork. I have heard mixed reviews on the re-routed section, I prefer fast and flowy.

I have also been to Thunder Mountain a few times. I ride it as a loop beginning by heading up Red Canyon toward Bryce on the paved bike path. Like @Josh Matta says, most of the appeal is the setting with the red rock & hoodoos. Castro Canyon is also close by & a decent ride.
Red Canyon-Thunder Mountain loop 037.JPG

Red Canyon-Thunder Mountain loop 016.JPG

Red Canyon-Thunder Mountain loop 034.JPG

My last trip down there I took my road bike & got a 50 miler out & back from Panquitch to the top of Bryce Canyon. I bet @utskier has been there since they named it after him ;) .
Bryce Canyon 005.JPG

4ster

Instructor
I think we're going to head south later in the fall to ride some of that stuff-we'll see if it happens because October is always a blur for some reason.
I would be up for some of that southern October stuff...
Kolob Canyon 015.JPG

Zion & Gooseberry Mesa 029.JPG

Zion & Gooseberry Mesa 071.JPG

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Great pics except for that filthy beer!! :D
Some people ask me if it's worth going to the Utah desert..and I'm speechless and have trouble describing its beauty. Arizona too..

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I plan to be back early next week, so maybe ride with you guys the following weekend?
I am a little leery of the crowds on my usual local rides there. From what I have been hearing it is getting out of control with masses of new riders. I even just but one of those annoying bells like you have in anticipation. Hopefully crowds mellow before the season is over.

I hope the recent rains have improved things because that section down to Ice Box is one of my regular routes & hard to avoid as I like riding Ice Box, please report what you find tomorrow. I may have to climb out on Middle Fork & up to finish DH on East Fork. I have heard mixed reviews on the re-routed section, I prefer fast and flowy.

I have also been to Thunder Mountain a few times. I ride it as a loop beginning by heading up Red Canyon toward Bryce on the paved bike path. Like @Josh Matta says, most of the appeal is the setting with the red rock & hoodoos. Castro Canyon is also close by & a decent ride.
View attachment 80374

View attachment 80375
View attachment 80376

My last trip down there I took my road bike & got a 50 miler out & back from Panquitch to the top of Bryce Canyon. I bet @utskier has been there since they named it after him ;) .
View attachment 80377
I can report to you now that the section of Wheeler between Middle and Icebox is AWFUL. I've ridden it twice already this year, and it's just not pleasant. I would hate climbing it. East is no longer fast and flowy, but there are still a lot of fun jumps you can hit. I do wish they would have opened up the straightaways between the switchbacks by another hundred yards or so to give it some flow, but they didn't.

We are planning to camp at Red Canyon campground so can ride Thunder Mtn. very easily from there. And can you believe Bryce has never been to Bryce??! Another reason we're going. It's my favorite park in Utah.

4ster

Instructor
Great pics except for that filthy beer!! :D
Some people ask me if it's worth going to the Utah desert..and I'm speechless and have trouble describing its beauty. Arizona too..
I have some friends who just invited me to visit them in Arizona this fall. I may have to take them up on it provided they have better beer than I
:beercheer:

I can report to you now that the section of Wheeler between Middle and Icebox is AWFUL. I've ridden it twice already this year, and it's just not pleasant. I would hate climbing it.
I gave up riding up that way years ago :( .
Camped at Red Canyon campground first time there. Perfect start area. :mtbike:

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have been to few of these places, but always on foot as I never bothered (yet) to bring mtb all the way from here (it's still on to do list though) :) But I was wondering what's policy of mtb in national parks? Are you allowed to ride them on trails or not? Whenever I was there, I never saw anyone doing it, but it's because noone is so weird to ride those trails or it's because it's simply not allowed?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
there is no riding the national parks in Utah, but there is tons of riding NEAR national parks in Utah. Most hiking trails in utah would be unridable with out danny macskill levels of trials skill.

4ster

Instructor
I have been to few of these places, but always on foot as I never bothered (yet) to bring mtb all the way from here (it's still on to do list though) :) But I was wondering what's policy of mtb in national parks? Are you allowed to ride them on trails or not? Whenever I was there, I never saw anyone doing it, but it's because noone is so weird to ride those trails or it's because it's simply not allowed?
Yeah, no riding dirt in the National Parks. You can ride on paved paths or the roads which is what I have done at Arches, Bryce & Zion. It is a relaxing way to get an overview of the park, then go hit some of the MTB trails just outside the boundary. Beats sitting in the car or on a tour bus. Return to the Park later for some hikes.
Zion & Gooseberry Mesa 003.JPG

Attachments

• Zion & Gooseberry Mesa 004.JPG
    Zion & Gooseberry Mesa 004.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 8