• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain biking 2019

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does this count as an mtb picture?!

Top of Pine Drop/Lower Whoops, Bend Oregon.

IMG_0141.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And a little mtb art, from Smith Rocks State Park in Oregon!

IMG_2722.jpg

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't really done any mountain biking yet this year although I did take it out for a crushed gravel path with a couple of short singletrack sections. My concussion therapist begged me to take a few more weeks before getting back at it. That was a couple of weeks ago so I plan to be back on it at the local bike park sometime next week. I told her that I'd start there so that if I don't feel well I'm close to a quitting point. I leave for Oregon on the 22nd but there I'll be with family when I ride there so a bit safer. My dad is still trying to get me to do the Sisters Stampede.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't really done any mountain biking yet this year ........My concussion therapist begged me to take a few more weeks before getting back at it........My dad is still trying to get me to do the Sisters Stampede.

Do the Stampede course the day before the race, and enjoy the dickens out of it. Don't do the race with potential concussion after effects. That doesn't mix well with race day focus.

Don't ask me how I know.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I'll be more than 4 months post-concussion and by then it will be 5 weeks post her request to give it a few more weeks. If I do it, my sister and I will start at the back and walk the technical parts that we're not comfortable with. Neither of us will really be "racing" it. Since I've ridden the course previously and will probably ride it Friday and Saturday before the race as well I'm aware of where it gets a bit hairy. I'm going back and forth because I know how much it would mean to my dad and he's 72 so who knows how many more chances he'll have to see his daughter and step-daughter do something like this. In addition, my sister hasn't done any sort of competitive sports thing since high school and I want to support her in getting back into these things.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I'll be more than 4 months post-concussion and by then it will be 5 weeks post her request to give it a few more weeks. If I do it, my sister and I will start at the back and walk the technical parts that we're not comfortable with. Neither of us will really be "racing" it. Since I've ridden the course previously and will probably ride it Friday and Saturday before the race as well I'm aware of where it gets a bit hairy. I'm going back and forth because I know how much it would mean to my dad and he's 72 so who knows how many more chances he'll have to see his daughter and step-daughter do something like this. In addition, my sister hasn't done any sort of competitive sports thing since high school and I want to support her in getting back into these things.

Sounds like a great plan.

I didn't realize you were that far out from the "unfortunate event".

I just rode the course Monday. Good stuff!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On Saturday my seat post top bolt broke with a loud snap while I was riding over some roots. It was quite sudden but I averted any major injury.

I don't think the bolt was loose, the bike has thousands of miles so I believe it was just time for it to shear and snap. Looks like steel not aluminum. I ordered a new post and seat. I don't think the post clamp would go over time but I might find a new bolt for it. Can't imagine the stem snapping but it wouldn't hurt to inspect the bolts.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I did a jumps clinic on Saturday in Park City. I was starting to pop off of stuff last year (with no clue if I was doing any of it correctly) until I took a jump, landed in a water rut, crashed hard, and ended up with torn up elbows and knees and what later turned out to be a concussion.
It was really fun, and a really big missing link in my overall MTB skills.

Attachments

• IMG_1948.PNG
    IMG_1948.PNG
    676.9 KB · Views: 10
TS
Jersey Skier

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Found the only hidden rock on the trail to grab my pedal and launch me while climbing.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Or get some knee protection! LOL
I still can't bring myself to buy knee or elbow pads. I get hot enough during summer out here, and I don't care how "cool" they are supposed to be, I know I'd be cursing at them and how hot they make me.

TS
Jersey Skier

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I still can't bring myself to buy knee or elbow pads. I get hot enough during summer out here, and I don't care how "cool" they are supposed to be, I know I'd be cursing at them and how hot they make me.

Same here. And the shin took the hit worse than the knee, I'm sure i'll still feel that next ski season as I slammed that before and it takes forever for the bone to heal.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

I also find that a lot of knee pads chafe when I'm pedaling.

The G-Form stuff is a pretty good compromise. They're lightweight and pack really small. They obviously still get sweaty and aren't as cooling as bare skin, but I think they're about as good as you're going to get.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My first ride of the season: https://www.relive.cc/view/2425902392 I rode to my friend's house, loaded her car and drove to the Peninsula, hence the straight line connecting the two riding areas. :)

The Peninsula Perimeter trail was dry all the way. Probably as good as it ever gets as it wasn't dusty. Nice and tacky.
IMG_20190605_091622413_HDR.jpg

The lake is still really low while they continue to dredge and prepare the new infrastructure at the Frisco Marina.

IMG_20190605_091120092_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
had a blast riding Trailside bike park in Park City last night - some amazing jump lines , flow tracks , wooden berms - all the features you can imagine
Trails rated from Green to Double Black . Ill work my way up to the Blacks but for now the blue runs were amazing
IMG_2719.JPG

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been a bit surprised as I've ridden the last couple of weeks because I expected that I would have regressed in my confidence on technical stuff given my lack of riding and the concussion but I've been more confident than ever on many things. Parts of the trail in Sisters that I walked or had to really stifle my desire to walk were ridden over with just enough care to make sure I got through them but not fear. Stuff at the bike park that I've never tried I've done or at least attempted. My fitness is not near where it has been so I need to work on that part but I'm happy with the other progress. My mountain bike is currently at the shop for a tune up so it'll be good to get her back next week and continue that progression.