• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2018

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It’s been a whirlwind of a week thus far. Went to Fruita, CO for a Trek Dirt Series womens clinic, which was amazing. I wrote up a full report, in a separate thread, if anyone is interested. Then rode the Kokopelli trails up to Horsethief Bench on Monday. Decided to attempt the drop in...

View attachment 54373 View attachment 54374 View attachment 54375
View attachment 54376

View attachment 54377

Made it down the top part smoothly...then over the bars

The rest of the ride went much better:
View attachment 54378 View attachment 54379 View attachment 54380

OMG! I would not have attempted that. Good work!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Just a little bit faster might have helped.

That’s the hard part, especially avoiding any instinct on the front brake. Sweet attempt and it looked like a pretty solid OTB dismount.

I had one over the weekend on some steep slickrock with pea gravel - too slow + front brake as the rear slid out and I bunny hopped about 4 times after a slo-mo OTB holding the bike between my legs down to a landing.

I’d rather not be good at stuff like that and I’m sure it looked ridiculous. But as has been said that on a new trail...first run you surivive, second you learn, third you ride.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

That’s part of it..in hindsight, I needed to push my bars out to keep the front wheel rolling, when I reached the bottom of the ro. Always easier to point out your flaws and what you “should” have done after the fact.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
This morning I rode a very popular multi-use trail (Spring Creek Trail) in the Boat that is usually a SS when crowded. Too many people, dogs, riders.

They are building a new downhill-only section to relieve the pressure and most of it is done. Part of it is "open" and I rode it back down. All I can say is that they did a great job. Lots of features, rock sections, flowy parts, etc. A couple of pictures, but they definitely don't do it justice. @Ron you need to try it sometime!

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Made it down the top part smoothly...then over the bars

That is the crux spot, for sure. I'm one for one on that over ten years ago, and have since aged (chickened) out. I have a friend that kind of hops/wheelie drops his way down. I hate him.

You looked smooth as silk until that point. Having ridden those trails probably 20 times over the years, I'll point out that my estimate is that less than 1 in 100 make it down clean, and most don't try. Good on ya!

Next, you should try Moore Fun in that network. Super-challenging, without nearly the "big move" risk factor.

In mountain biking, speed is always your friend....until it becomes your enemy! :D

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
That is the crux spot, for sure. I'm one for one on that over ten years ago, and have since aged (chickened) out. I have a friend that kind of hops/wheelie drops his way down. I hate him.

I forget, are you the guy that doesn't have/need a dropper? This looks like the time and place!

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Awesome that you’ve done it...it’s a gnarly line. Huge respect for anyone that attempts it. And for the record, I now hate your friend too.

I’m determined to make it back in the future and hit it again.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nice riding! That looks like it's right about on the edge of something I might ride or might not depending on how I was feeling that day.

On another note, I am probably going to this event on Sunday. It's an hour away and I have never ridden there. Has a rep. as being pretty techy riding.

http://njmountainbikefestival.com/

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice riding! That looks like it's right about on the edge of something I might ride or might not depending on how I was feeling that day.

It's a cool section.

I can vouch for the fact that -- like many things -- the move that foiled @elemmac is MUCH bigger than it appears in the video.

When I climb down it these days, I always look at it and wonder what version of my younger self even considered it!

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's a cool section.

I can vouch for the fact that -- like many things -- the move that foiled @elemmac is MUCH bigger than it appears in the video.

When I climb down it these days, I always look at it and wonder what version of my younger self even considered it!

I have that same thought at some of my regular haunts. Mostly stuff I used to be able to ride up, at least sometimes, that I never make anymore. The in one technical climb with 3 separate crux moves in a row that I used to be able to ride about half the times I tried and those were always later in the riding season when my legs were in their best shape. It's probably been 5 years since I have made it up that freaking climb.

Sponsor

Staff online