• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2018

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Went from this
IMG_4455.JPG

To this on Saturday with @Rainbow Jenny
IMG_4458.JPG

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did a ride at Round Valley today, its down near Park City. They built a few new trails there this year (down dog and porkuclimb). Seemed like fun additions, both have lots of flow and feel kind of chargy. I think they have the funnest climbs at round valley, usually I don't describe climbs as flowy bur these are.

I noticed my fork was moving arround and making a weird noise. At first I thought my headset was loose but after messing with it for a while I jsut said yolo and rode for like 3 more hours. Got home and striped it and the lower bearing is pretty much gone in my head set. It was a sealed bearing at one time but it pretty much fell apart as I pull the steer tube out of it. Feel like a bad ass breaking stuff. It only took 5 years. /grin

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm doing some stuff to my bike to get it ready for the season. Crossing fingers that I can maintain my enthusiasm to keep riding.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
We are heading back to fruita/Moab Thursday after a quick visit to nh. Looking forward to getting back to warm dry weather and camping!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, I know that. This is the MTB thread. You can see the confusion. :)
Last year it was a cycling thread, including road and mt biking...hmmmmm, perhaps that is where the confusion lies.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm doing some stuff to my bike to get it ready for the season. Crossing fingers that I can maintain my enthusiasm to keep riding.

@RachelV and @kimmyt got me out of my house to go play bikes on Friday. We went on a mellower trail than I would normally choose, and it was a blast! And just what I needed right now. If your enthusiasm for mountain biking is in a slump, maybe you have some chill pals you can go with, no expectations?

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait. @Rainbow Jenny mountain bikes?

Rarely but it happens. First weekend ever on a mountain bike (a while ago) was in Moab. Day #1 got lost in a thunderstorm, Day #2 rode the Slick Road Practice Loop, not beginner-friendly. So it has kept me away for a long time... but Golden Gate Park below was kinda fun. I thought skiing was very good for balancing on a mountain bike. :daffy:

Hence the new discussion thread separating road from mountain here:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/road-biking-2018.9698/

45389F6A-37B9-41F7-9468-F15047A4181A.jpeg

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rarely but it happens. First weekend ever on a mountain bike (a while ago) was in Moab. Day #1 got lost in a thunderstorm, Day #2 rode the Slick Road Practice Loop, not beginner-friendly. So it has kept me away for a long time... but Golden Gate Park below was kinda fun. I thought skiing was very good for balancing on a mountain bike. :daffy:

Hence the new discussion thread separating road from mountain here:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/road-biking-2018.9698/

View attachment 45049
Sounds like you were setup. Moab is the senior capstone course not the first week freshman year.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@RachelV and @kimmyt got me out of my house to go play bikes on Friday. We went on a mellower trail than I would normally choose, and it was a blast! And just what I needed right now. If your enthusiasm for mountain biking is in a slump, maybe you have some chill pals you can go with, no expectations?
Yes, take me!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First weekend ever on a mountain bike (a while ago) was in Moab. Day #2 rode the Slick Road Practice Loop, not beginner-friendly.

Don't let that keep you away from Moab. The SR "practice" loop isn't meant to be much easier than the main loop, it's just shorter, to see whether or not that type of riding suits you before you get halfway around the main loop!

The Moab Brands Trail area and Dead Horse Point State Park have much easier riding, in beautiful desert settings. But intermediate skills will still probably yield the most fun.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The only trail I've ridden in Moab was Bar M. It was pretty friendly.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Yes, most areas are building many more beginner friendly trails to keep up with the influx of new riders. The great thing is that these trails can be enjoyed by all levels. If you were discouraged in the past it’s time to revisit. The bikes and the trails are a lot different than they were just a few years ago. When I began it was mostly literal cross country riding or on very steep and gnarly hiking trails.

I’ve been able to get out a few times this month between ski days. Conditions have been great!
229E7A4D-C7E8-43F0-B808-BE3B4A60A333.jpeg

6E1F3E0C-8BCF-4CCA-AD47-8BE19711A08E.jpeg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
This thread got me fired up to ride! Even though it’s pretty dang cold out I bundled up and went for it. Up to one of my happy places for most of my life called Angora Lookout.
The plus is that a brand new single track just opened last fall that goes right to the spot.
06DD1F74-1E47-4243-BE27-3656969CCF26.jpeg

It is a retired fire lookout
73C99622-713E-4501-8DC5-D2F4F7382389.jpeg

And this is only part of an impressive 360° view.
1A44CF4B-98B6-455F-9DA3-33FEA53036C3.jpeg

It began snowing only moments after I returned home :) .

Last edited:

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
This thread got me fired up to ride! Even though it’s pretty dang cold out I bundled up and went for it. Up to one of my happy places for most of my life called called Angora Lookout.
The plus is that a brand new one single track just opened last fall that goes right to the spot.
View attachment 45083

It is a retired fire lookout
View attachment 45081

And this is only part of a fabulous 360° view.
View attachment 45082

It began snowing only moments after I returned home :) .
Nice! I've yet to head out that way since all the trail work last summer/fall. TAMBA is doing some awesome work down there. They started to try to pull some work together for tyrolian downhill here in incline last year. This year work could begin on a trail across 267 from me that rolls into KB.

Check out the truckee bike park also. It's on a whole nother level from what you could even imagine a bike park could be. On par with the best in the country!

Sponsor

Staff online