• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2018

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yes. Pretty common in the DH world.

I have one! I don't wear it much anymore, but it's amazing how reassuring it is to wear one. It just feels right.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I've decided on Steamboat, will have a full morning until about 3pm. Now I'm deciding if I want to hit the bike park or an Emerald Loop...

As Ron said, it depends on what you're looking for. I prefer to earn the downhill so I only downhill on Storm Peak if I ride up first. If you need any advice (or a tour guide) feel free to message me or @Ron. We can both give you details on rides.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Is it the shoulder? Bummer, I was hoping to get another ride in with you this summer...:(

most likely the Right hip again. yeah, less than pleased. I am OK on the road bike though once we get a better idea whats going on, I am hopeful we can things calmed down and get back on the trails. I'll give you a call.

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Awesome thanks for all the advice guys! I'll be arriving sometime late afternoon August 12th and leaving the 13th. I'm slightly worried about the altitude as I've only done a couple higher elevation rides - hence why I was leaning towards the bike park. However this loop doesn't look too bad and I could probably get it done before the park opens https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7031094/emerald-mountain-flow-fest
I'll definitely send messages closer to my arrival when I have a better idea. Thanks!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
most likely the Right hip again. yeah, less than pleased. I am OK on the road bike though once we get a better idea whats going on, I am hopeful we can things calmed down and get back on the trails. I'll give you a call.
I'm really bummed to read this. I hope to ride with you in September :D

Reactions: Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Awesome thanks for all the advice guys! I'll be arriving sometime late afternoon August 12th and leaving the 13th. I'm slightly worried about the altitude as I've only done a couple higher elevation rides - hence why I was leaning towards the bike park. However this loop doesn't look too bad and I could probably get it done before the park opens https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7031094/emerald-mountain-flow-fest
I'll definitely send messages closer to my arrival when I have a better idea. Thanks!

figure a decent "loop" ride will get you over 2K in vert. The beginning of the ride from the Rodeo Grounds up can be 12% so there are options. Give me a call if you want i'll PM you. Better yet, I would hookup with @Bruuuce for a tour. He's a strong rider and knows the mountain well.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Riding for 12 days in Winter Park CO! It is an awesome trail system but could use a bit of rain to knock down the dust.
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier

If you want to climb, Emerald offers the best range of options and isn't as hard as some other rides. Remember that we're only at 7K elevation so it's nothing like some of the Summit elevations. There are a couple of other trails that are more flowy than technical (one is Flash of Gold). There is also an option from the bike park that most don't know about that is more woods/trail than open speed run (Pioneer to Zig Zag). Lots of great options whether you want to go up or just down.

Message or call one of us and we can fill you in on the details. I'd also be happy to ride with you and show you around. Regardless, Steamboat is awesome so you'll have a great time!

Bruce

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I went for a nice ride with @UGASkiDawg yesterday. Up up up then down down down. The only picture was to illustrate how smokey it was. We could see the smoke when we left my house but rode up into the smoke level (or it descended as we ascended) to the point where visibility and breathing were severely impacted.

20180721_102726.jpg

For contrast, this was last September.
20170910_125909_Boreas Pass Road.jpg

@UGASkiDawg , I hope you stayed dry on your cruiser regatta. :)

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I went for a nice ride with @UGASkiDawg yesterday. Up up up then down down down. The only picture was to illustrate how smokey it was. We could see the smoke when we left my house but rode up into the smoke level (or it descended as we ascended) to the point where visibility and breathing were severely impacted.

View attachment 49537

For contrast, this was last September.
View attachment 49538

@UGASkiDawg , I hope you stayed dry on your cruiser regatta. :)

No rain at all but we did have get towed in due to the wind completely dying out and the choice to leave the motor on the dock. On the other we did fit 6 people and two dogs and bunch of beer on a j22 so we had that going for us...

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
No rain at all but we did have get towed in due to the wind completely dying out and the choice to leave the motor on the dock. On the other we did fit 6 people and two dogs and bunch of beer on a j22 so we had that going for us...

Wow, that was a full boat. It is good you were prepared with essential supplies. :beercheer: We had a squall or two in Breck.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I went to Keystone to ride some downhill on Sunday. My friend was suiting up in the parking lot, so I decided to start out on a green to blue (mosquito coast) rather than taking it easy on a green, which takes FOREVER to get down. Still took 25 minutes or so. Keystone is much rockier and more technical than Trestle. I would take a fairly inexperienced rider on blues at Trestle. No way at Keystone.

I felt great on that ride.

Then I met up with my friend, who's the person who first took downhilling - at Keystone several years ago, with my 100mm bike. My, times have changed! Well, the first fall was a combo of feeling punchy - I'd done so well the first time on the same trail! - and, yeah, ego. So the second time through one section, I realized there was what I saw as two rollers back to back - pumped them and got a little air. But then I realized that there were three more in very quick succession in front of me, and I didn't think I could manage that. On top of that, I was a bit distracted deciding if I'd be better off taking the 90* turn to follow the main trail, or go straight into a bunch of tabletop jumps. I braked hard on dry, loose dirt. Predictably, smashed my face into the ground. Gotta love full face helmets. We stopped for a nice long break. After the adrenaline wore off, my shoulder felt a little worked and my thumb was a little sprained, but overall, I seemed fine. So we finished out the ride and moved on to the harder blue.

It must be said that the technical bits of the harder blue were no problem for me. Bump, bump, bump, even for a root drop that was definitely more than a foot down. Just get your ass back. No problem. No, my rear tire washed out on a flat dirt section just crossing a ski trail. I must have panic braked, and I took a HARD fall. My head hurt for a few minutes, so I must have hit it. My shoulder felt a lot worse. And we still weren't to the trickiest part of that blue.

So I rode, and we got to the tricky section, and it really wasn't that big a deal (although slightly off-camber), but you can't ride the last few rocks at half a mile per hour. This was a more typical MTB fall where the bike starts tipping and your legs are caught in it, so you tip over with the bike. I knew I was cooked. At the first opportunity, I ditched trail and rode the dirt access road. Riding that dirt road can be more dangerous than a lot of the trails, with the loose sand and gravel, but I took it easy and arrived in one piece.

I have an ortho appointment tomorrow. Didn't get much sleep last night. Fingers crossed it's just a few weeks of recovery, but ....

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rode part of the old Moffat Railroad grade to Riflesight notch and trestle near Winter Park CO. Great views!

That is just below a Colorado Crew favorite camping spot although I haven't made it up there this year and not sure if any of the Crew has. Oh, wait, I think Doug did for the annual summer ski race on one of the peaks up there. Actually, I camped below it a ways 1 year ago this week and rode a fun trail straight from my camp spot. Anyhow, you are correct that the views up there are incredible. Here's one of a sunset from at tree line taken 2 years ago with @SBrown and @SkiNurse.

Sunset Corona.jpg

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
That is just below a Colorado Crew favorite camping spot although I haven't made it up there this year and not sure if any of the Crew has. Oh, wait, I think Doug did for the annual summer ski race on one of the peaks up there. Actually, I camped below it a ways 1 year ago this week and rode a fun trail straight from my camp spot. Anyhow, you are correct that the views up there are incredible. Here's one of a sunset from at tree line taken 2 years ago with @SBrown and @SkiNurse.

View attachment 49608

Is that favorite site just beyond the trestle?

Yes, I was up there on the weekend after the fourth of July. Really nice snow, fun people and of course skiing.