• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2018

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dammit. Unfortunately I will be jet lagged to the max that day as I fly back from Hong Kong on the 20th but I'm super disappointed because I've wanted to take that class. I need to remember to watch for future dates and sign up early.

However, if you want to meet up for a beer after, that singletrack park is about 10 minutes from me...

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Dammit. Unfortunately I will be jet lagged to the max that day as I fly back from Hong Kong on the 20th but I'm super disappointed because I've wanted to take that class. I need to remember to watch for future dates and sign up early.

However, if you want to meet up for a beer after, that singletrack park is about 10 minutes from me...
:beercheer:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
However, as part of my plan to have all the fun before law school starts I’ve been invited to join my dad, stepmom, sister, brother-in-law, and nephew in Sisters, OR over Memorial Day weekend for camping and mountain biking.

Proceed directly to the Peterson Ridge Trail loop. Ride only the left (east-ish) side. Stay left at pretty much every intersection. Walk the two or three short rocky sections. When you get to the top, reverse course, and return the same way. The right (west-ish) side has the rocky trail sections.

Option Play: When you attain the top of the trail loop system, head down the 1/4 mile or so spur on the other side of the network to a really cool overlook and picnic table for lunch.

Fun is virtually guaranteed.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Proceed directly to the Peterson Ridge Trail loop. Ride only the left (east-ish) side. Stay left at pretty much every intersection. Walk the two or three short rocky sections. When you get to the top, reverse course, and return the same way. The right (west-ish) side has the rocky trail sections.

Option Play: When you attain the top of the trail loop system, head down the 1/4 mile or so spur on the other side of the network to a really cool overlook and picnic table for lunch.

Fun is virtually guaranteed.

My dad rides there a lot so I’m guessing he knows it.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For anyone considering a new drivetrain, chainreactioncycle has the shimano xt 1x11 set for $350. It is supposed to work with most 8,9,.or 10 speed hubs but might require a new bottom bracket. I went with the 170mm, 11 to 42 tooth rear and 30 tooth front which should give me decent uphill and ok high end. I've been keeping the lbos busy so he doesn't mind installing it.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I admit I have no idea about shipping fees to US but for around the Europe, Chainreaction is super expensive. Shipping costs are high, and their prices are anything but good. Personally I order all my bike stuff with some 4 or 5 German shops, as price difference compared to Chainreaction is really big.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Shipping was free!

Online shopping in Europe from the US can be tricky, you find a good deal, check the exchange rate, add it to your basket, only find out they won't ship to the US, but are happy to ship to Burma, Argentina, or 100 other countries. So I was happy with 50% off and free shipping. Maybe if I had looked around I could have found the 48 tooth cassette, but this will be a huge updrade regardless and most of our local hills are only a few hundred feet (100 meters haha).

I would think you would want to avoid the vat if possible (not sure if you are subject to it).

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Chainreaction works for stuff on clearance, which is a lot. I got a complete 105 gruppo for $380 all in, free shipping. That is astounding compared to LBS prices here in Canada.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Online shopping in Europe from the US can be tricky, you find a good deal, check the exchange rate, add it to your basket, only find out they won't ship to the US, but are happy to ship to Burma, Argentina, or 100 other countries.
Yeah I have same problems.... we are in EU for 15 years and in euro zone for more then 10, yet it's still impossible for me to order for example from any Oakley webshop (Germany, UK...). At same time, it wouldn't be problem to get stuff from Oakley UK for example, if I would be ordering this from let's say Uzbekistan :)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It' s a tough life man.

Most people don't see the everyday intricaies of customs and tarrifs. I was doing a job in Oregon and then we were trucking the equipment to a show in Toronto. Had to fill out loads of paperwork and then sign for it in Toronto, and make sure that there wasn't any swag like t shirst or other junk in the crates because it wouild violate a bunch of trade rules.

Last edited:
TS
Jersey Skier

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
It' s a tough life man.

Most people don't see the everyday intricaies of customs and tarrifs. I was doing a job in Oregon and then we were trucking the equipment to a show in Toronto. Had to fill out loads of paperwork and then sign for it in Toronto, and make sure that there wasn't any swag like t shirst or other junk in the crates because it wouild violate a bunch of trade rules.

Shimano pricing from Chainreaction has nothing to do with tariffs. It has to do with Shimano not giving a shit about your LBS. As a shop owner, I can buy from Chainreaction for less money than Shimano charges me. WTF.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
I am planning to take my son to china camp riding when he gets a little stronger. My friend from Minnesota says its the closest thing to the midwest he's ridden around here. May have to consider Marin Headlands too. I hadn't thought of that. When the tourists are away.

When I was at Purdue, I used to ride at Turkey Run State Park, which was also only about an hour from U of I. And Brown County when I was home (south side of Indy).
Have you been to Boggs demo Forrest north of Calistoga? Reminds me of riding in PA growing up. More dirt packed trails rather than the loose rocky techy trails you normally encounter in Ca.

Never been but I've heard good thing about Jackson demo Forrest up north in the redwoods also.

The Boy Scouts camp on Mt tam is pretty sweet also. They put in a flow trail a few years ago

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I haven't been there. But so far as I know it hasn't reopened.

*** November 6, 2015 - Due to extreme damage from the Valley Fire, Boggs Mountain Demonstration Forest is closed to the public. All road and trail use as well as camping is closed due to the dangerous conditions that are present, as well as the salvage logging which will be occurring. We will update the public as conditions warrant. ***

I've driven through Jackson. Didn't know you could ride there.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Shimano pricing from Chainreaction has nothing to do with tariffs. It has to do with Shimano not giving a shit about your LBS. As a shop owner, I can buy from Chainreaction for less money than Shimano charges me. WTF.
I understand your pain. I worked in the business for a good number of years and I don't know how to rationalize those old feelings with the reality of low cost online shopping. It's a problematic situation..

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
I haven't been there. But so far as I know it hasn't reopened.

*** November 6, 2015 - Due to extreme damage from the Valley Fire, Boggs Mountain Demonstration Forest is closed to the public. All road and trail use as well as camping is closed due to the dangerous conditions that are present, as well as the salvage logging which will be occurring. We will update the public as conditions warrant. ***

I've driven through Jackson. Didn't know you could ride there.
Shit, must have been a pretty bad fire! I knew it had closed but figured it reopened by now. I haven't been in probably 4-5 years.

Jackson
https://www.bikemag.com/features/open-secret/

TS
Jersey Skier

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I understand your pain. I worked in the business for a good number of years and I don't know how to rationalize those old feelings with the reality of low cost online shopping. It's a problematic situation..

Low cost mail order has always been an issue. But Shimano goes below cost, which is just rediculous.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I try to help out the lbs as much as I can. Had a bb replaced for $60. I could have bought it for $20 and installed it myself in 15 minutes. I've worked at small businesses all my life and we're all subject to online margin and have to pay rent, insurance, etc.

But you could buy 10 of the 32 tooth ones and mark them up I guess. If the guy in my town got them and put it on facebook for $600 intalled he could sell out in a week.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did a wasatch front gravel grinder today. Did a good bit of climbing up farmington canyon and then 5 miles along the bench to finish it off. The road was just graded making it super loose and weird. Found the cool stream about half way up. After I stopped climbing for a minute I decided It seemed like a good turn around point.
8C8B0617-3198-4136-A6D8-33E2E89B4807.jpeg
3CD4CD60-890B-413B-A4C3-3D8BD65EA8C9.jpeg
C6818AF6-100C-47D4-8B07-2935055FEC16.jpeg
A295C798-A0E9-4328-B4E0-008322AE3D18.jpeg

Last edited: