• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't like riding when it's chilly. My knees hurt. It feels like I can't get my muscles warmed up. I wear knee warmers (just bought some new Bontrager ones), I wear tights, but my legs just do NOT like it.
Maybe I need to lower my expectations? :huh:
I think today will be the last day of local riding anyway. First big winter storm of the season arrives tomorrow. :daffy:
Those of you who ride in the cold, what are some tips and tricks? Particularly to keep the arthritic knees from stiffening up, and to keep the muscles warm?

I've had arthritic knees since ... 20? I feel ya. I wish I had tips and tricks. My "trick" is endorphins (or something) that mask pain as long as I'm having fun. On the ride I described above, once when I stopped, my knees - both - were killing me. But I kept riding, and the next time I stopped, they felt fine. ???? Of course they were just fine on the flowy downhill ...

For me, it's more pressure than temperature. Overcast days seem to be the worst for my knees, and when storms are moving in. I don't like stuff on my knees, but I do wear baggy knee length men's pants. I think that helps keep my legs warm, though my knees are exposed with every pedal stroke.

But TBH, I think the coldest I've ridden was in the 40s. That was up in Breck this fall. I think it was in the 50s when I rode last weekend.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Back in tahoe. Rode some new trail off angora ridge. It appears its gonna get stormy so Im trying to get the local stuff while I can, after that ill have to drive to carson if i want to ride. It sounds like its time to ski. View attachment 33015
Rode that one Sunday & again yesterday. After the overnight rain it was Brown Pow at it's finest! Here is the view from the top...
Angora Lookout pano 11-14-17.JPG

First big winter storm of the season is supposed to arrive tomorrow.
FIFY^ ;)

I have been thinking that I've made my last ride of the year for about the last 10 rides but this time It may really be it. Raining hard since early this morning with a Winter Storm Warning in affect & lowering snow levels on tap... We shall see :huh:.
Anyway if this is really it, I ended up with about 2100 miles & at least 200,000 vertical feet of climbing which is down from the previous few years by about 500 miles. Might be the fact that we were skiing till the end of June :D.?

Those of you who ride in the cold, what are some tips and tricks? Particularly to keep the arthritic knees from stiffening up, and to keep the muscles warm?
I'm with you when it comes to cold weather riding. Something that helps me is to warm up first with a brisk walk or run. Once I get riding I try not to stop long enough to cool down. By the time it gets really cold I hope I'm skiing!
I also find it more difficult to get motivated when it's cold out but have been having some great rides lately! It's not hot, I need to carry less water, it's not dusty & it is usually less crowded.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Rode that one Sunday & again yesterday. After the overnight rain it was Brown Pow at it's finest! Here is the view from the top...
View attachment 33217

FIFY^ ;)

I have been thinking that I've made my last ride of the year for about the last 10 rides but this time It may really be it. Raining hard since early this morning with a Winter Storm Warning in affect & lowering snow levels on tap... We shall see :huh:.
Anyway if this is really it, I ended up with about 2100 miles & at least 200,000 vertical feet of climbing which is down from the previous few years by about 500 miles. Might be the fact that we were skiing till the end of June :D.?

I'm with you when it comes to cold weather riding. Something that helps me is to warm up first with a brisk walk or run. Once I get riding I try not to stop long enough to cool down. By the time it gets really cold I hope I'm skiing!
I also find it more difficult to get motivated when it's cold out but have been having some great rides lately! It's not hot, I need to carry less water, it's not dusty & it is usually less crowded.
They are ramping up the storm totals here--here's hoping!

I hear ya on having trouble getting motivated when it's cold. I want to sit inside and drink hot toddies (and ski!) Bike rack comes off the car tomorrow.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've had arthritic knees since ... 20? I feel ya. I wish I had tips and tricks. My "trick" is endorphins (or something) that mask pain as long as I'm having fun. On the ride I described above, once when I stopped, my knees - both - were killing me. But I kept riding, and the next time I stopped, they felt fine. ???? Of course they were just fine on the flowy downhill ...

For me, it's more pressure than temperature. Overcast days seem to be the worst for my knees, and when storms are moving in. I don't like stuff on my knees, but I do wear baggy knee length men's pants. I think that helps keep my legs warm, though my knees are exposed with every pedal stroke.

But TBH, I think the coldest I've ridden was in the 40s. That was up in Breck this fall. I think it was in the 50s when I rode last weekend.
Pressure changes bother me, too. A LOT, actually. Funny, when I'm skiing, once I get out there, I usually feel pretty OK :D

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, I rode at Echo, Oregon last Sunday. Not much in terms of scenery, but if you're ever zipping along I-84 in Oregon, and pass Exit 188, just know that you are ten easy minutes from about 21 miles of primo single track. Rolling, terrain, which is rare in my neck of the woods. On my "usual" 19 mile loop, there is over 1800 feet of climbing, yet not a single climb over 5 minutes. Fun stuff!

Of course, it's kind of crowded on Sundays. There were six other vehicles in the parking lot. The most I've ever seen (not much of a population center out there), and, LUCKILY, 188 miles from Portland!

4ster

Instructor
FWIW, I rode at Echo, Oregon last Sunday. Not much in terms of scenery, but if you're ever zipping along I-84 in Oregon, and pass Exit 188, just know that you are ten easy minutes from about 21 miles of primo single track. Rolling, terrain, which is rare in my neck of the woods. On my "usual" 19 mile loop, there is over 1800 feet of climbing, yet not a single climb over 5 minutes. Fun stuff!

Of course, it's kind of crowded on Sundays. There were six other vehicles in the parking lot. The most I've ever seen (not much of a population center out there), and, LUCKILY, 188 miles from Portland!

Feel lucky, you’d probably get out of shape living there. OTOH, the intervals are probably good ski conditioning this time of year :D .

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Feel lucky, you’d probably get out of shape living there. OTOH, the intervals are probably good ski conditioning this time of year :D .

Dang intervals!

How come everything I read says that as you get older, interval training becomes even more important, yet I hate them more?! :(

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Back to Echo tomorrow!

With the two fastest endurance racers I know of on the planet.

I'm not slow, but this should be "interesting"!

4ster

Instructor
Wow, are those all mountain bike miles, or do you road ride too?
I think I did a couple of road rides but I don’t think they are included. I’ve pretty much given up road riding, it’s gotten way to scary since the advent of smart phones :( .

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I did a couple of road rides but I don’t think they are included. I’ve pretty much given up road riding, it’s gotten way to scary since the advent of smart phones :( .
That's an impressive amount of miles on a mountain bike. I started mountain biking again because of all the bad, distracted drivers, but I'm a hazard to myself, so I don't know...I'm not mountain biking again until after ski season.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Going for our first cold ride later this morning. Gonna be high 30's and cloudy. Making ourselves get out there - need the exercise. Always hard to drag myself out for a cold ride. Will wear thick socks, headband, Kinco gloves. WIll also wear a backpack because I will probably start out over dressed and want to shed layers.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@AmyPJ Pedal harder! ogsmile

Try doing some jumping jacks, high knees or other excercise to get your heart rate up and get blood pumping. That will help. If you’re really cold, stick a couple of those toe or hand warmers just above your knees. Remember, women’s blood goes to the core when cold leaving feet and hands (hence, legs and arms) with less warmth so try better hat/gloves socks.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Going for our first cold ride later this morning. Gonna be high 30's and cloudy. Making ourselves get out there - need the exercise. Always hard to drag myself out for a cold ride. Will wear thick socks, headband, Kinco gloves. WIll also wear a backpack because I will probably start out over dressed and want to shed layers.

Think of it as an early spring skiing day!

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was fine and fun once we got out there...just,,hard....to,,,,,,force.....myself out the door sometimes. Gettin older feelin colder.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Decided to ride today instead of skiing. I've been frustrated with some knee stuff lately, so I wasn't exactly brimming with confidence - but I rode, and I dabbed, and it was beautiful, and I'm happy I got out there while I still can.

Because SURELY it's going to start dumping soon.

Seems like my helmet just won't stay straight. I think it's the Halo that messes up the helmet line. Didn't exactly need it today at these temps.

20171209_150136.jpg

Riding back down got pretty chilly, especially where the trail transitions to dirt road and you fly downhill. I was shivering like I would on the Imperial lift! If it were running.
20171209_153751_001.jpg

Sponsor