• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With SRAM's new 12-speed Eagle, which seems to be astoundingly well-received so far, I'm not sure there is much reason to shy away from 1X anymore (and I was a slow sell).

The replacement cost issue is significant, but really, how many people besides me and two others ride enough to wear out a drivetrain very often? And, to my surprise, reports are that the new 1x12 components are significantly outlasting the 1x11 items.

The only fly in the ointment is that the ratio jumps in the 1/2/3 zone are big, which is occasionally annoying to me in a race situation, but never seems to matter when riding for fun. And it doesn't seem to slow down a few notable Olympic athletes!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
With SRAM's new 12-speed Eagle, which seems to be astoundingly well-received so far, I'm not sure there is much reason to shy away from 1X anymore (and I was a slow sell).

My big concern was whether a 1x would have low enough gearing - but a shop guy who seems to be pretty thoughtful and customer-aware told me he's always been able to solve the issue with a smaller ring up front. But that for most people, it's fine.

The nice thing about a smaller ring of course is that it modulates the issue of big gaps. For someone like you, the downside to that solution would surely be not enough on the high end.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Also - I can pick up my Truth today! They'd been waiting for some parts from Dirt Labs. In addition to general tune stuff, I will have a freshly rebuilt fork, a rebuilt (or whatever it is one does?) rear shock, new rear cassette, and a new bottom bracket.

I won't be able to ride it today, but soon .... soon ... of course, I'll be skiing this weekend.

Reactions: Ron

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
IMG_4594.JPG
IMG_4599.JPG
IMG_4600.JPG

Not your typical Colorado or Utah ride.

Btw, I have shimano 10 speed on one bike, xx1 11 speed on one and X01 eagle on the last mtb I recently built for myself.

Only replaced a chain on the XX1 bike at 500 miles. Others are too new to tell, Eagle performance is great and super quiet.

Last edited:

rj2

Still using the same poles from the 70s
Skier
My big concern was whether a 1x would have low enough gearing - but a shop guy who seems to be pretty thoughtful and customer-aware told me he's always been able to solve the issue with a smaller ring up front. But that for most people, it's fine.

The nice thing about a smaller ring of course is that it modulates the issue of big gaps. For someone like you, the downside to that solution would surely be not enough on the high end.

I'm using an XT 11-46 cassette with a SRAM GX rear derailleur and 34 direct mount in the front. Wider range that SRAMs 11 speed cassettes and can go lower with a smaller front ring for Downieville. Not missing 10 tooth or 12 speeds.

Marcel

Booting up
Skier
I wanted to like the Yakima but the one I tried required two hands to release the trays to carrying mode which is not okay with me.

the new release mechanism used in the nv 2.0 is really nice! That's a really good upgrade compared to the original version!

I have at least 5 friends with these. They all love them. When I go to an endurance mtb race, the pits are full of them.

They must be doing something right. From what I've seen, 1UpUSA measures up in quality, but they are priced even higher.

1UpUSA is an overall better rack than the kuat, I have the kuat have some friends with 1Up, the Up seems nicer and more modular than the kuat, but I really have no issues with my NV rack

I'm slowly starting my research for a new mountain bike this season. This time it's for real. ( This 2015 thread was just practice)

So, thoughts on 1x for a seriously slow climber? I really like the idea of a quieter bike and fewer mechanical fiddly bits, but a friend of mine said that once she tried climbing with a 1x, she knew she didn't want it. I currently use a 2x with a bash guard. Can a 1x realistically get me as low as the granny gear on a 2x? Or, how ridiculous would my rear setup have to be to get me there? I'm not sure I really ever use the granny or second-to-granny because I like a little more torque. I feel like the handlebars go all wiggly if I'm all the way down in granny.

And how, if at all, does a change from a 26 to a 27.5 or even a 27.5+ change the equation?

I must emphasize again - seriously slow - and weak - climber. I'd like to work on that this season, but realistically I will still be the slowest climber in any group. Downhill, that's a different story.

like said bigger wheels with same drivetrain will be more difficult to climb, likely need to size down the ring on a 29er compared to 27er. I wouldn't go plus tire, demoed and really didn't see the point, you might like it so I recommend demoing to see what's like for you

I don't see a reason not to go 1x it's much simpler, less things to go wrong and overall cleaner drivetrain. you are likely to use the same cassette if you go 2x so to avoid big gaps, (which really aren't a problem) unless like said you are very particular with cadence, you should go Di2 otherwise I'd stick with 1x, if there is anything you can't climb with a 30x42 it's unlikely you are gonna be able to with a 2x at some point gearing gets so low it's hard to pedal. You could also buy different size rings and start your season with a 28 than move up as your season and fitness progress during the summer.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Marcel it depends really much where you ride. Personally I ride mostly here in Alps, but to get up to hills and mountains I still have some 10km to go on relatively flat terrain, and also 10km back. So basically I ride pretty much everything in single ride, from 40+km/h flat sections to 6km/h super steep climbs. While I agree 12speed Eagle with its 10-50 cassette and some 34T or 36T front chainring would give me pretty much same range as current 11speed XT with 28/38T chainrings and 11-40 cassette, stepping on 10-50 cassette is still bigger, and what is even more important, money vise it's just insanely pricey.
On the other side, if you are riding only flat trails, or only super steep trails, then you can get away with 1x and with more normally priced system. But if you need big range of gears, currently I don't think there's anything other solution then Eagle, and you pay for it... or you just stick with 2x like I do :)

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
@Marcel it depends really much where you ride. Personally I ride mostly here in Alps, but to get up to hills and mountains I still have some 10km to go on relatively flat terrain, and also 10km back. So basically I ride pretty much everything in single ride, from 40+km/h flat sections to 6km/h super steep climbs. While I agree 12speed Eagle with its 10-50 cassette and some 34T or 36T front chainring would give me pretty much same range as current 11speed XT with 28/38T chainrings and 11-40 cassette, stepping on 10-50 cassette is still bigger, and what is even more important, money vise it's just insanely pricey.
On the other side, if you are riding only flat trails, or only super steep trails, then you can get away with 1x and with more normally priced system. But if you need big range of gears, currently I don't think there's anything other solution then Eagle, and you pay for it... or you just stick with 2x like I do :)

Great points..it's important to not view the world through one's own lens..others may use things in a different way. And people have different priorities and experience. Ultimately you have to judge based on your own needs. I think fenders are a huge thing..hardly anybody uses them..and many people would think you're ridiculous if you used them. To each their own.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Err. I'm confused. You said Lush, but linked to the Fuel EX 9.8. Those are two very different bikes ... The picture looks like a Fuel, too.

Oh, God. Morning reading. I should be banned from posting until I've been awake for at least two hours. Carry on ... very sweet bike!

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I just yesterday bought my first "real" bike, and particularly enjoyed this, as I'm the Lego guy: "Hi, I want a bike. I ride a beach cruiser with a basket and coaster brakes. It's yellow."

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, God. Morning reading. I should be banned from posting until I've been awake for at least two hours. Carry on ... very sweet bike!
:roflmao:

I just yesterday bought my first "real" bike, and particularly enjoyed this, as I'm the Lego guy: "Hi, I want a bike. I ride a beach cruiser with a basket and coaster brakes. It's yellow."
LOL--what did you get?!

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
:roflmao:

LOL--what did you get?!

Sorry, I missed this ... Salsa Timberjack 29.

(I actually had a "real" road bike back in college, and I've had a couple cheap mtn bikes since then, but really I just putz around on my cruiser.)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

(I actually had a "real" road bike back in college, and I've had a couple cheap mtn bikes since then, but really I just putz around on my cruiser.)
You will LOVE it. I wasn't going to get another 29er, but I got another 29er. Because they climb like billy goats and are just fun!

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^^ So right.............climbing on a 29er is actually fun............now if my poser lungs would just cooperate!:eek:.............. feels like being up on horseback! Perfect for back roads, just don't get too technical w/ it....... then I'm screaming for my 26! Went w/ steel frame for my commute through farm country. Pimpin' the bike out today......nice and shinny now and ..... Super comfy!:beercheer:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^ So right.............climbing on a 29er is actually fun............now if my poser lungs would just cooperate!:eek:.............. feels like being up on horseback! Perfect for back roads, just don't get too technical w/ it....... then I'm screaming for my 26! Went w/ steel frame for my commute through farm country. Pimpin' the bike out today......nice and shinny now and ..... Super comfy!:beercheer:
I don't get too technical on anything :roflmao:That being said, I ride lots of rocky sections and a fair amount of somewhat technical stuff, and I like the 29er on everything but switchbacks. My understanding is that the geometry is improving all the time. I guess I'll find out! Hoping to have the new bike in the next week or so.

And you should share some pics of your commute. That's awesome!

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@AmyPJ Here ya go! My older 26 commuters........ the 29er is much better but no pics right now & much older pics of my commute night and day....... the night gear is MUCH better now. Say Hi to the Girls in the barn! :) Best part is looking off in the distance a night and seeing the deer and coyote eyes reflecting your helmet light back. A slight nod to the fact that "Spotlighting" deer IS illegal up here ~ DeerJacking......... so hopefully no game wardens reading this!!! LOL For night riding the lights are INTENSE now........ almost wash out the entire scene....... not like the pic below.......... almost looks like a movie scene. The barn in the distance in the night shot houses the Girls in the first pic......... oh yes and that is dog spray in the pack on the bike...... for night rides I switch it out for bear spray...... Enjoy!

IMG_0472.JPG IMG_1094.JPG IMG_0484.JPG IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0482_7.JPG IMG_0481_8-2.JPG IMG_1105.JPG

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah the wheel size has very little on how something handle's tech.....

The ability to move around on the bike, and geometery matter tons on switchback. Wheel size not so much, my 29er with 16.3 stays, goes around switchback much better than my 27.5 with 17.2 stays. Many 29ers still have fairly awful geometery.

Tons of trail obstacles, in a trail situation ? big wheel are helpful, but geometery and more travel in the suspension can make short work of it as well.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Looking forward to riding with you! Picked up my 2 bike hitch rack today so I can combine riding and camping...

Sponsor

Staff online