• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2016!

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a friend who is a mountain bike guide in Moab ;)
I also have a group of friends going down there this weekend. Bummed I can't tag along.
With that, things are drying out here and are beautifully tacky! And the Boy Scouts put in a bench and hanger at the Overlook saddle, which is a welcome addition!
14907238_10211369095329443_2394610423015166007_n.jpg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The folks at Poison Spider had my dropper post rebuilt by noon. I visit these guys everytime I'm in Moab, customer service at its finest.
image.jpeg

Today's zone
image.jpeg

An afternoon of twists & turns
image.jpeg

Who can resist a trail named roller coaster?!
image.jpeg

& made it into the Park in time for the golden hour.
image.jpeg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
My final morning in Moab got me 20 miles on the Brand trails. Began with a lap down EZ to Rusty Spur & Sidewinder then up for a loop on North 40'& Maverick. I still had some time & energy so I did a repeat on the super fun, fast & flowy first lap.
image.jpeg

Heading out EZ
image.jpeg

Top of North 40
image.jpeg

Climbing out of Sidewinder
image.jpeg

PS: I'm okay if it wants to start snowing now :snow::snow::snow:

Last edited:
TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
PLEASE let it start snowing! I'm ready to start working!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I continue to explore and get more comfortable on my bike. It's so dry here that the trails are very sandy with lots of loose rock which is what makes me the most nervous but I'm starting to get a feel for how to handle it. Here's a shot from my ride on Sunday.
High Plains Trail.JPG

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think yesterday was my last ride of the season. Ended on a good note. Time for wax and snow.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Had I not been tethered to my laptop this weekend, I would definitely have been on my bike. @Jersey Skier - create a new thread for 2017!

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Almost updated this yesterday as it was freekin 65 in the Catskills and the slopes were absolutely NUTS !

anyway .... seeking input and advice on a new MTB for mostly trail, single track with occasional easy-ish lift service at Platty or Windham. At or around 3k done with front and rear shock in a 27.5

Not looking for a Craigslister or to build from components or do the repairs, I would like it to come from a local shop if possible complete.
Offerings are from trek, cannondale, KHS, kona, Salsa and 9niner
Anyone with experience or advice with these brands
good or bad ?
LBS yesterday had a carbon Yeti - it was gorgeous but I'm SO not worthy of that ride.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Almost updated this yesterday as it was freekin 65 in the Catskills and the slopes were absolutely NUTS !

anyway .... seeking input and advice on a new MTB for mostly trail, single track with occasional easy-ish lift service at Platty or Windham. At or around 3k done with front and rear shock in a 27.5

Not looking for a Craigslister or to build from components or do the repairs, I would like it to come from a local shop if possible complete.
Offerings are from trek, cannondale, KHS, kona, Salsa and 9niner
Anyone with experience or advice with these brands
good or bad ?
LBS yesterday had a carbon Yeti - it was gorgeous but I'm SO not worthy of that ride.

You do realize there is no "easy" trails at Platty. What's your budget? Lots of choices.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Trying to be done around / under 3k all in full suspension and would like to keep it to the choices above and keep it local.
Platty has one or two off the top that are my speed and some end up at the farm down the road - same as winter, they just aren't on the trail map

At our apt. rentals in town we have some of the serious riders stay with us like last years gravity series winners. Those dudes are insane, no really they are ! 20k in bikes on the back of the 4K car LOL. I wasn't in the market a few years ago when the KHS team spent a week with us, they offered to sell me one at cost - oh well.

Jersey, we must have crossed paths at some point at Platty - powderdaze or the day before, Sunday?
That's more my speed vs. this weekend, it was wall to wall people and parking was below the maintenance building.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I was there last Sunday the day before the Powderdaze. Shoot me a PM if you decide to purchase non-local. I own Bike N Gear bicycle shop in Somerset, NJ. I sell Specialized and Cannondale. There are a few leftovers available, depending upon what size you need.

BTW, I own a Full Suspension MTB Tandem that I used to ride with my wife down Plattekill (before she wised up).

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Jersey - missed the part about the tandem at Platty,
I would have loved to see that !

A while back we were hanging out on the deck at the lodge having a beer when a downhill guy in full body armor was being dragged in by his two friends, one on each side, he was busted up bad ! There was blood everywhere, his face smashed with what clearly looked like a broken nose.
Another friend came on behind..... " dude, you must have flown like 50ft. dude ! "
Clearly in pain and barely able to speak he mumbles " bro, how's my bike? "

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A while back we were hanging out on the deck at the lodge having a beer when a downhill guy in full body armor was being dragged in by his two friends, one on each side, he was busted up bad ! There was blood everywhere, his face smashed with what clearly looked like a broken nose.
Another friend came on behind..... " dude, you must have flown like 50ft. dude ! "
Clearly in pain and barely able to speak he mumbles " bro, how's my bike? "

Was he wearing a full-face helmet? Doesn't sound like it, but you never know ...

I rode past a guy (already being cared for) on a downhill mountain biking run at Winter Park. Wearing a regular bicycle helmet. Found out later he'd shattered his orbital socket ... I hugged my FF helmet that day.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yes he was !

Dang.

The only way I would fly 50 feet is if I fell of the lift ... would love to get there, but right now I'm like "2 feet? Hold your horses!"

Sponsor

Staff online