• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2016!

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Things just dried up here, then it rained again...Snuck a ride in yesterday. Might be relegated to the bench. I do not like riding the bench. I'm ready to ski...

Reactions: nay

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Things just dried up here, then it rained again...Snuck a ride in yesterday. Might be relegated to the bench. I do not like riding the bench. I'm ready to ski...

Have you done the section from north Ogden divide to pleasant view? Seemed less crowded than south of Ogden canyon when I was riding it last Fall.
Heading that way soon. May have do a quick Moab trip depending on weather.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I've now done 2 evenings at the local bike park in Boulder to get more comfortable on dirt and work on skills. Wish a few of you were closer so you could teach me a few things as I'm sure I'm developing a few bad habits by teaching myself. :huh:

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you done the section from north Ogden divide to pleasant view? Seemed less crowded than south of Ogden canyon when I was riding it last Fall.
Heading that way soon. May have do a quick Moab trip depending on weather.
You know, I have not. I'm guessing it absolutely would be less crowded and probably a little more wide open. It's a haul to get there from my house, but might be a necessity. My knees are SO much happier when they get regular bike time.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably time to switch to skiing after this one last 2016 shot. Smith Rock State Park in Oregon. We rode over 3 hours in pretty high wind, with rain off to every side of us, and only got hit by about 50 drops. An hour after completion, it poured. Score!

IMG_1477.JPG

4ster

Instructor
We rode over 3 hours in pretty high wind, with rain off to every side of us, and only got hit by about 50 drops. An hour after completion, it poured. Score!

Luv it when that happens!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K. 9.8 build? how do you like the 9'r plus? @GregMerz

9.9 with mostly standard build:

Bontrager saddle, seatpost, bars and stem
Race Face Next SL Crank
XTR rear D
XX1 cassette for a bit more range than XTR
XTR brakes
Light Bike rims/DT hubs for training (built by a wheelbuilding genius buddy)
DT XMC 1200 wheels for racing
Bontrager XR3 tires front and rear.
Wolftooth Fatpaw grips

Light, fast, stiff. Yep, I'm a bit spoiled.

Not sure about the "9'r plus" part of your question. It's a plain old 9'r. I did demo a Stache 9'r plus, and was dismayed by the feel of those big heavy wheels/tires. Too much racer left in me, I guess. Also, not really a hardtail guy (anymore).

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Not sure about the "9'r plus" part of your question. It's a plain old 9'r. I did demo a Stache 9'r plus, and was dismayed by the feel of those big heavy wheels/tires. Too much racer left in me, I guess. Also, not really a hardtail guy (anymore).

Funny camera angle I guess, the tires do look huge, but then so does the whole bike, or maybe you are very small.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny camera angle I guess, the tires do look huge, but then so does the whole bike, or maybe you are very small.

Yes, that is an odd camera angle, combined with being taken with a phone, I guess.

At 6'2" and 195, I don't approach "very small" in most groups!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
MTB season fades, except the warm temps, silly loose sand, and dug out and around rocks.

Can't say I am stoked about this, can say it is ridiculously good training...about 3 miles of this uphilll non-stop as the 'regular' ride at this point...

IMG_2525.JPG

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
@4ster, how long does it take you to get to Moab from Eden? We were thinking about a side trip to Moab in March when we are at Powder Mountain.

4ster

Instructor
Does not suck.
Well, it at least sucks less at a higher level ;)

@4ster, how long does it take you to get to Moab from Eden? We were thinking about a side trip to Moab in March when we are at Powder Mountain.
It is about 4.5 hours, 280 miles. The first half down I-15 through SLC & Provo sucks, the rest is a Cruise :) .

The last time I rode Slick Rock trail was about 15 years ago. The first time was 25 years ago with no suspension & relatively skinny tires. Amazing what technology adds, the older I get, the easier it gets. The sad thing about technology is that my seat post failed about halfway through today :(.

Throw caution to the wind...
image.jpeg

Made the steepest part of this hill but maxed out before the top...
image.jpeg

Moab overlook from the farthest out & highest point...
image.jpeg

The mighty Colorado river...
image.jpeg

I may need something a little less stressful tomorrow :huh:

Sponsor

Staff online