• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mount Bohemia - Michigan, well U.P.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That place didn't exist when I lived in northern Minnesota.

If it had, there would have been a LOT of road trips!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That place didn't exist when I lived in northern Minnesota.

If it had, there would have been a LOT of HELICOPTER trips!

Fixed it for you. Looks like flying in would be the best way to get there from anywhere that's not already there..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fixed it for you. Looks like flying in would be the best way to get there from anywhere that's not already there..

Less than 6 hours from my last residence in wonderful Minnesota.

That would have been a several times per season destination, for sure!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Less than 6 hours from my last residence in wonderful Minnesota.

That would have been a several times per season destination, for sure!
6 hours is pretty beyond "day trip" range for me. That's solid overnighter range, and only really a half day skiing feasible unless I stay two nights. If I do that I might ski an additional half day Sunday before driving home. It also means taking a half day off work to drive up Friday night. All in all, that's pretty difficult to do more than a couple times a season...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
6 hours is pretty beyond "day trip" range for me. That's solid overnighter range, and only really a half day skiing feasible unless you stay two nights..

Agreed. It would have been a weekend trip with one overnighter.

I was 25 when I left MN. There would have been no problem whatsoever at that (single) age with leaving at 3 AM for skiing like that!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Although it’s only about 5 hours on google maps, in reality it’s more like 6 or 7 since you only want to go there when it has fresh snow. So far, I have only managed one trip (last year):

• It’s to far for a weekend trip for my kids, so it has to be a guys trip or a trip with just my wife
  • The season is short. You don’t go for the two cut runs, you go for the glades. So you need coverage. Usually this means January at the earliest. At the same time, by March snow conditions start to deteriorate due to sun.
  • You really only want to be there with fresh snow.
All these reasons limit the frequency of visits for me. If you don’t have kids,and have a flexible schedule, you can probably score way more trips,

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With 270 inches of snow a year, cold weather, and few people it seems the woods would be good anytime it doesn't rain. Cool spot right on the lake.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With 270 inches of snow a year, cold weather, and few people it seems the woods would be good anytime it doesn't rain. Cool spot right on the lake.
Definitely a cool spot.
It still warms up occasionally, we had a crust in the snow in the woods here in Duluth a few times this winter, especially on south-ish facing slopes. But yes, outside of the resort I’m sure the snow is good. What I meant was inbounds. Last year we arrived when it was just starting to snow after a dry spell of a week or so, and it was nasty. You have to remember that they don’t groom, and much of the resort(I use the term very loosely ogsmile) faces south.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, we ski in new england and have to time our trips around weekends and kids' vacation, so just hope for the best and expect the worst. I can see how the limited trails could make a bad day worse.

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
As others have said, this place is a Midwest gem especially with a layer of fresh snow.

On a seperate note, I can't stop watching these episodes. The people, the workers, Lonnie

These films by Joey Wallis are better than anything on tv I've seen in the last few years.

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
This place looks unbelievable and a Midwest gem.

Having just discovered the videos by Joey Wallis starring Lonnie, Lindsey (aka The Gremlin), Jeff, Stevie and so many more “you can’t make them up” characters. I’m binge watching the episodes and almost looking for these as much as GoT.

Next season- Mt Bohemia or bust!

Sponsor