• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MotoGP Brake Failure @ 230kmh...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
FAAAACCCKKKK..... Saw a guy do this at Shannonville back in the day...and happened to Di Salvo at Daytona years ago...Vinales is going to have some blisters on his ass after this one!!!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Scary how fast that bike caught fire!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
That was some quick thinking and action. I'm impressed by the function of the barrier. If he had stayed on the bike is it likely he would have catapulted over the barrier?

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
That was some quick thinking and action. I'm impressed by the function of the barrier. If he had stayed on the bike is it likely he would have catapulted over the barrier?
I would say yes.. He would have been fairly seriously injured I would say. Airfence doesn't always work great..I know guys have slid under them and broken their legs.. Its' a crap shoot. He did remarkably well..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Bits came out so either disc or pad failure I suspect..

I am trying to understand whether Brembo actually requested he change pads or calipers or both? Stupid blurb reporting.

Pads?

Pads and calipers?

Taken together, the reporting leaves a distinct whiff of Brembo CYA.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I am trying to understand whether Brembo actually requested he change pads or calipers or both? Stupid blurb reporting.

Pads?

Pads and calipers?

Taken together, the reporting leaves a distinct whiff of Brembo CYA.
Well Brembo can advise but teams can still choose. It's like tires..sometimes tire mfg's will pull a tire if it's absolutely unsafe..but sometimes they'll advise and the tire will delam, hopefully without a big accident. Like they say, brake feel is very important to some people so they try to stick with what they know. And it's a balancing act..they want less weight whenever possible, especially unsprung weight. And sometimes they want smaller cooling ducts for less drag.

Funnily, Vinales himself admitted he ignored his failing brakes for a few laps before they finally failed. He took it pretty well all in all.. :ogbiggrin:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Crazy! And what a race, in general, though the red flag almost certainly robbed Nakagami (sp?) of the first Japanese podium in 40 years IIRC.

The finish was stunning. No spoilers, except it was the most excited I've ever heard motorsports announcers. They sounded like school girls. Worth a replay.

Marquez being out of commission is making for a very interesting championship chase, with several rookies alternately showing flashes of brilliance and stupidity.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I'm amazed the bike stayed upright for that long... I would have thought it would tip right over.