• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Adding: The French who identified Carmenere were ampelographers--an old art of identifying grape varieties by physical characteristics. Leaf shape, hirsutism, bunch shape and characteristics, etc. I do believe it has since been confirmed by DNA as well. But ampelography is alive and well. I wrote many pages back about an ampelographer who identified a 120 yr old vineyard as Cinsault. This saved it from being sold to Gallo as "red" for $175/ton. The vineyard only yields about 1.5 tons/acre at this age. Now it goes into a mid market varietal planting (Michael David I think) and probably sells for $1500/ton or so. The vineyard owner was going to replant to Chardonnay. Now it is known as one of the most distinct "ancient vines" vineyards in CA.
I stand corrected - my info. was from Chileans in about 2001, when I was at a conference in Santiago: at the time, most of us at the conference had never heard of Carmenere, and were very happy to slot a glass or two (or, accurately, rather much more than that) back! Looking into it, it seems that you are right and the DNA confirmation only came later!

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I stand corrected - my info. was from Chileans in about 2001, when I was at a conference in Santiago: at the time, most of us at the conference had never heard of Carmenere, and were very happy to slot a glass or two (or, accurately, rather much more than that) back! Looking into it, it seems that you are right and the DNA confirmation only came later!
It probably was correct by then that it had been confirmed by DNA analysis. Then it just becomes shorthand. I think I was adding more than correcting. I just added that because I think ampelography is cool in an old school-but still relevant kind of way. They maintain databases of 100s of varieties, and dozens of clones of some of those. Centuries worth of data.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This was tonight's sampling from a local winery. Yes, it is a NJ winery and it was better than expected. I have tried wine from this winery before and this was the best so far.
IMG_20201001_174458.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, this is bad. Something has happened to me this fall. I've become a Nebbiolo junkie. I can drink a perfectly nice Rhône that I would have been totally happy with in July, and my whole body says "Meh. Too much flesh, too little bone." I know from experience that it's a phase, but right now it's a bad place to be.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
RIP your wallet.
Well, the bad news is it's not grenache or tempranillo or sangiovese. The good news is it's not cab or pinot.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
So. The best grocery store in my area has this bottle at half price

20201017_195631.jpg

Rye and Bourbon blend made in Sonoma. A portion pf the whiskey was aged in wine barrels. Delicious. I will buy another bottle when I go back. Maybe a reason to go back soon :D

Uncle-A

Skier
I was wondering since 2020 has been such a horrible year so far, what is this years grape harvest look like? We must have a few people in the community that are in the know about what this years vintage has in store for us.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was wondering since 2020 has been such a horrible year so far, what is this years grape harvest look like? We must have a few people in the community that are in the know about what this years vintage has in store for us.
Well, if you read various media reports, all of California's vineyards blew up and then fell into the ocean. Anybody with winemaking experience was killed. There are no grapes left west of the Rockies. I hope you like Manischewitz and Wild Irish Rose.

In reality, a few wineries were tragically destroyed. Quite a few vineyards had minor damage ranging from a few vines fried on the perimeter to burned end posts and melted driplines. Those are being repaired as we speak. A significant amount of grapes went unpicked due to smoke exposure (about 20% unpicked in Napa and Sonoma). A small percentage of those that were picked had low levels of smoke contamination. You will never taste those. Meanwhile, 2018 and 2019 were record large harvests in the face of flat demand growth. So, in terms of supply, everything is just about in balance. People are already bottling some of their excess 2019, or preparing to extend their short 2020 with it (up to 15% of the blend can be a different vintage).

It has been, apropos of 2020, the most trying harvest ever across the West coast (OR and WA too). But the rumors of the wine industry's death are greatly exaggerated.

EDIT: For those who don't know, I am a consulting winemaker living in Sonoma County. Our clients span the country, but a major focus on the West coast.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
A significant amount of grapes went unpicked due to smoke exposure (about 20% unpicked in Napa and Sonoma). A small percentage of those that were picked had low levels of smoke contamination. You will never taste those.

So many Fumé Blanc jokes, so little time.

But, seriously, how bad is the smoke contamination in those that are? You just know someone, somewhere is looking at pemmican recipes and smoked grapes and back again...
#liquidsmokeconcentratefromgod

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
EDIT: For those who don't know, I am a consulting winemaker living in Sonoma County. Our clients span the country, but a major focus on the West coast.

Well then maybe you can give me the downlow on this? Pulled this out while visiting my mothers place last week. Haven't had much/any exposure from RRV Pinot -- this was pretty huge still and certainly couldn't gone another 10-15 years.
FD09DB5D-EBD0-4ECE-941B-5CFFF2F7016A.jpeg

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
For those who don't know, I am a consulting winemaker living in Sonoma County.
I for one bow my head in obeisance to @skibob! Clearly he will be the go to man in the future in this thread. I figure that I only know a little bit about wine, although I have worked out that drinking it is generally a fine idea, and that regrettably there is some correlation between cost and taste (note - there is also clearly a fair amount of overpriced cr@p as well). In the event that at my next gas fill up the lotto ticket I purchase wins, then I will indeed get a truckload of Grand Cru Pauillac and Margaux ...

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well then maybe you can give me the downlow on this? Pulled this out while visiting my mothers place last week. Haven't had much/any exposure from RRV Pinot -- this was pretty huge still and certainly couldn't gone another 10-15 years.
View attachment 112898
I don't know much specifically about this winery.

But I will say that much of RR is subject to the "Bad Syrah" style of Pinot: Overripe, overextracted, slightly sweet. IOW, weak syrah. There are notable exceptions. Freeman. Littorai. Small Vines. Anything from "Nunes Vineyard". I know Papietro and Joseph Jewell bottle a single vineyard from Nunes. Fred Nunes is a friend, a former helicopter pilot (Vietnam and Calfire) and a damn fine Pinot grower. He gets flavors at low sugars that blow my mind. Littorai makes quite possibly the best Pinot in California. They also make a damn fine Chardonnay. I have a bottle of their 2013 left that I should drink soon . . .

Uncle-A

Skier
Well, if you read various media reports, all of California's vineyards blew up and then fell into the ocean. Anybody with winemaking experience was killed. There are no grapes left west of the Rockies. I hope you like Manischewitz and Wild Irish Rose.

In reality, a few wineries were tragically destroyed. Quite a few vineyards had minor damage ranging from a few vines fried on the perimeter to burned end posts and melted driplines. Those are being repaired as we speak. A significant amount of grapes went unpicked due to smoke exposure (about 20% unpicked in Napa and Sonoma). A small percentage of those that were picked had low levels of smoke contamination. You will never taste those. Meanwhile, 2018 and 2019 were record large harvests in the face of flat demand growth. So, in terms of supply, everything is just about in balance. People are already bottling some of their excess 2019, or preparing to extend their short 2020 with it (up to 15% of the blend can be a different vintage).

It has been, apropos of 2020, the most trying harvest ever across the West coast (OR and WA too). But the rumors of the wine industry's death are greatly exaggerated.

Thanks for the info, it is good to hear it is not as bad as it has been reported.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I don't know much specifically about this winery.

But I will say that much of RR is subject to the "Bad Syrah" style of Pinot: Overripe, overextracted, slightly sweet. IOW, weak syrah. There are notable exceptions. Freeman. Littorai. Small Vines. Anything from "Nunes Vineyard". I know Papietro and Joseph Jewell bottle a single vineyard from Nunes. Fred Nunes is a friend, a former helicopter pilot (Vietnam and Calfire) and a damn fine Pinot grower. He gets flavors at low sugars that blow my mind. Littorai makes quite possibly the best Pinot in California. They also make a damn fine Chardonnay. I have a bottle of their 2013 left that I should drink soon . . .

This was well made (i.e. good balance, no flaws)...but it was certainly along that style of very ripe, very extracted and maybe some RS.

Sponsor

Staff online