• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have too many wine thoughts and questions tonight. Where to begin?

Here is a concrete one for @skibob : What is the smell that you get on a sponge or towel that's sat around damp for too long? It's obviously some kind of mildew-y thing, but it has a very specific odor. Does it have a name?

Unfortunately for me, I'm a "super smeller" when it comes to that one stench. I've been known to wash every single towel in the house in a weak bleach solution in an attempt to get rid of it, after picking up the third "clean" one in a row that reeks. No one else in the house can smell it.

Anyway, it's the thing that most often kills my first glass of wine - the smell is on the glass, but it only seems to be released with wine in it. Then it's too late. :(
I would imagine it is the "house mold". Your home no doubt has one or two preferred species that like to grow. I really don't know what to do about it other than buy a lot of cheap towels and don't reuse them.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have too many wine thoughts and questions tonight. Where to begin?

Here is a concrete one for @skibob : What is the smell that you get on a sponge or towel that's sat around damp for too long? It's obviously some kind of mildew-y thing, but it has a very specific odor. Does it have a name?

Unfortunately for me, I'm a "super smeller" when it comes to that one stench. I've been known to wash every single towel in the house in a weak bleach solution in an attempt to get rid of it, after picking up the third "clean" one in a row that reeks. No one else in the house can smell it.

Anyway, it's the thing that most often kills my first glass of wine - the smell is on the glass, but it only seems to be released with wine in it. Then it's too late. :(
One of the smells that bother me is when you pour wine in a glass and you get that dusty smell. Like the glass is clean but has not been used for a while and you take it out of the cabinet and just pour the wine and it is too late. That is the one that gets me annoyed, kills a nice wine for me.

Uncle-A

Skier
I would imagine it is the "house mold". Your home no doubt has one or two preferred species that like to grow. I really don't know what to do about it other than buy a lot of cheap towels and don't reuse them.
Sometimes you get a smell from a towel if it is washed and left in the washer for a while before putting it in the dryer. Especially if it is left over night before drying.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not house mold in that sense. I've been sensitive to this exact smell for decades, across multiple residences,.while visiting others, etc. :huh:

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And finally we have this little number, showing its years in good ways.

What would I make of this in a blind tasting? I guess if I were lucky I might peg it as central or southern Italian. (Montepulciano, Aglianico, etc.) Otherwise maybe a very good, aging Barbera. Despite having visited Umbria, where this wine is from, it's unlikely I'd even think of it.

I made a risotto with some sujuk sausage and garden chard. The earthy flavors were met perfectly by this autumnal bottle. So satisfying. Do not hesitate.

20200626_175422-01.jpeg

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
A special evening, deserves opening this:

1593394039183.png

We had a toast and it was delicious. It is now decanting a little. The cork came out just fine (I was pretty gently and careful). Pop and pour it drinks like a great claret. Let's see how it develops as the evening goes ...

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, this is good!
2010 Carignane from Clos du Bois that we brought back from a visit. Who'd have thought a place known for the mid-market would have stuff this good?
20200629_201126.jpg

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Well this was certainly interesting and weird....just my second experience with Schiava and a very different one. First was pure fun gamay-like gulpable. This was sharp, soily, a touch bitter, with some elegant red fruit rounding it out.

lQSEwoX.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well this was certainly interesting and weird....just my second experience with Schiava and a very different one. First was pure fun gamay-like gulpable. This was sharp, soily, a touch bitter, with some elegant red fruit rounding it out.

lQSEwoX.jpg

I've had both of those experiences, too. I really liked both!

PS: Best food-wine match I've had with (barely) seared tuna was a schiava - the Alois Lageder "Roemigberg" bottling. That one was kind of in-between the ones you describe, and was very very delicate. Almost a rose.

EDIT: https://aloislageder.eu/assets/lag_files/2018_ROEMIGBERG_Schiava_EN.pdf

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The magnums of ArPePe just showed up for the wedding :ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:.

Now to design a vegetarian main dish around them....

Bulk orders going in soon too for daily wedding-week drinking:
- On the red side we're going with a lighter-style mencia from Bierzo and a juicy malbec from Cahors. - - Whites are a Muscadet and a southern Rhone white blend of viogner, roussanne and manseg.
- Champagne Sanger for our toast.
- Plenty of rose from Proveance right outside of Bandol for picnic and patio pounding.
- And cava for our daily bubbles.

And there there are the odd fun bottles from Guiberteau, Raj Parr, Domaine Harmand-Geoffroy, and a six pack of unknowns from my buddy who got a $200 surpise-us budget which goes a long way in his book.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
The magnums of ArPePe just showed up for the wedding :ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:.

Now to design a vegetarian main dish around them....

Bulk orders going in soon too for daily wedding-week drinking:
- On the red side we're going with a lighter-style mencia from Bierzo and a juicy malbec from Cahors. - - Whites are a Muscadet and a southern Rhone white blend of viogner, roussanne and manseg.
- Champagne Sanger for our toast.
- Plenty of rose from Proveance right outside of Bandol for picnic and patio pounding.
- And cava for our daily bubbles.

And there there are the odd fun bottles from Guiberteau, Raj Parr, Domaine Harmand-Geoffroy, and a six pack of unknowns from my buddy who got a $200 surpise-us budget which goes a long way in his book.
When and where are the wedding? Asking for a friend. Not planning on crashing.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looking south towards Mt. Sneffels and the rest of the Dallas Divide?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well roger me over a Taransaud oak barrel in the back corner of the cellar, this bottle is just gorgeous. Label needs some work as it looks like the logo for a local pizza joint.

This a wine from northern Piemonte, mostly but not entirely Nebbiolo. Close to Cervinia. My immediate thought on first look, taste, and smell was, "Watch out, Pommard!" Tons going on here, with notes of hay, fennel bulb, dried orange peel, toasted walnuts, cranberry, Earl Grey tea, tobacco, clove, and pomegranate. LONG suhweeeet finish with generous acid and tannin, but extremely well knit. My only concern is that at only four years old the fruit is tiny bit lean.

Edit ... Never mind. With more air, seems to be thickening. Yay. Beautiful.

20200716_191151-01.jpeg

Uncle-A

Skier
Well roger me over a Taransaud oak barrel in the back corner of the cellar, this bottle is just gorgeous. Label needs some work as it looks like the logo for a local pizza joint.

This a wine from northern Piemonte, mostly but not entirely Nebbiolo. Close to Cervinia. My immediate thought on first look, taste, and smell was, "Watch out, Pommard!" Tons going on here, with notes of hay, fennel bulb, dried orange peel, toasted walnuts, cranberry, Earl Grey tea, tobacco, clove, and pomegranate. LONG suhweeeet finish with generous acid and tannin, but extremely well knit. My only concern is that at only four years old the fruit is tiny bit lean.

Edit ... Never mind. With more air, seems to be thickening. Yay. Beautiful.

View attachment 106490
All I have to say is that you must have some taste buds if you can taste all of those flavors. I count ten different items you listed, funny not one was grape and only three of the ten are some type of fruit. I am sure that it is a good wine because you and a few others here have given good recommendations. But ten different flavors, how much of this is good word smithing hype for the wine snobs?

Sponsor

Staff online