• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And the thermoflask? Did you decant first, or drink it straight from the bottle?

funny, I did use a flask for a bottle years back on an Amtrak trip to Winter Park. Buddies used some empty 7-up bottle(s) for Vodka.

Asked Amtrak ahead of trip if carry on liquor/beer was ok, they said "technically no unless you have a cabin, but we don't search unless people give us reason to"

We were all very discrete after hitting the bar car once it closed. We then walked to back of train to explore and caught site of a big Harley type dude with a Bud 30 pk under his arm distributing it to his friends.

I hadn't worried much since then about carry on.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
funny, I did use a flask for a bottle years back on an Amtrak trip to Winter Park. Buddies used some empty 7-up bottle(s) for Vodka.

Asked Amtrak ahead of trip if carry on liquor/beer was ok, they said "technically no unless you have a cabin, but we don't search unless people give us reason to"

We were all very discrete after hitting the bar car once it closed. We then walked to back of train to explore and caught site of a big Harley type dude with a Bud 30 pk under his arm distributing it to his friends.

I hadn't worried much since then about carry on.
My kids (public) school has pitch in dinners sometimes. Very popular. No alcohol policy of course. Its a French school, so, needless to say not a lot of rule followers and plenty of wine drinkers. We obliged the principal by bringing our "Kool-Aid" in in hydroflasks and drinking it out of opaque non-stemmed cups. He obliged us by not wondering why there were so damned many adults drinking Kool-Aid :).

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Double decanted after reverse osmosis and centrifuging.

The latter two have no place in my preferred styles of winemaking.
With all due respect, you would be very, very surprised. The things wine marketing people say, and the things that are real literally have nothing at all to do with each other. Trust your palate, ignore everything else. Its utterly unreliable.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Plain but pleasant fruit, short finish - one of the bottles that survived the overtemp wine fridge. Zero call for a vinturi; killing the finishing zest would leave the whole thing super flat. IMG_20200522_165138__01__01.jpg

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oxygen is a catalyst for the formation of complexes among anthocyanins (pigments), proteins, tannins, and even some volatile components. During the winemaking process we carefully control exosure to 02 to encourage those formations. We don't eliminate it all together as lots of sulfide aromas would develop, tannins would "harden" and precipitate and the wine would oxidize quickly when ultimately exposed to air. But we carefully control it to limit oxidation (formation of aldehydes). The development of those complexes not only stabilizes a wine (making it more resistant to oxidation), but also develops deep color, round tannins, and integrated aromas. That's the short version :).

Great info - thanks!

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Tonight's late night dinner hour experience: Third day of "riding while fat" bike rides in a row, albeit not all that ambitious by real rider standards. Proper mac and cheese in the oven. Showered and pleasantly sore. The 98-point world beating $25..00 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo sits almost-full in its bottle on the counter trying to make me throw up from a distance, with its revolting cherry vanilla oak and pretentious five-pound broad shouldered bottle. .(The fact that there appears to be a stunning wine under there somewhere makes it more nauseating, not less.) Meanwhile the unassuming Costières de Nîmes in my glass satisfies like mac and cheese. Davis slays Goliath, as it should be.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Tonight's late night dinner hour experience: Third day of "riding while fat" bike rides in a row, albeit not all that ambitious by real rider standards. Proper mac and cheese in the oven. Showered and pleasantly sore. The 98-point world beating $25..00 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo sits almost-full in its bottle on the counter trying to make me throw up from a distance, with its revolting cherry vanilla oak and pretentious five-pound broad shouldered bottle. .(The fact that there appears to be a stunning wine under there somewhere makes it more nauseating, not less.) Meanwhile the unassuming Costières de Nîmes in my glass satisfies like mac and cheese. Davis slays Goliath, as it should be.
I am all too familiar with the "there is a good wine under there somewhere" phenomenon.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The one other couple in our quarantine pod brought out something special for camping this weekend.

Crappy pic -- but it's a bottle of single plot, 2015 Cheverny we picked up during our France trip in 2016. Effectively a field blend of 1/3 each sav blanc, fié gris (an old local version of sav blanc that is mellower, more wax and body) and chard. We were told it was a really good vintage when we tasted with the vintner -- and wow 5 years in every is perfectly integrated. Bright pear fruit, honey, waxy, and plenty of acidity to keep it all together.

Helped that it was drank in the woods, with good friends, after a nice hike.

IMG_1592.JPG

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Montepulciano d'Abruzzo sits almost-full in its bottle on the counter trying to make me throw up from a distance, with its revolting cherry vanilla oak and pretentious five-pound broad shouldered bottle.

OFC, the non-impossible among us would just be spanish about it and mix it with Coke for a nice syrupy treat :D :D

Are the stupid rustic medicine bottles an official Big Glass product now? Do the ridiculous things have a St. Gobain part number or something? Oh, how I miss the days when I was only irritated by Slovenian art glass bottles or Portuguese flattened ovals.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OFC, the non-impossible among us would just be spanish about it and mix it with Coke for a nice syrupy treat :D :D

Are the stupid rustic medicine bottles an official Big Glass product now? Do the ridiculous things have a St. Gobain part number or something? Oh, how I miss the days when I was only irritated by Slovenian art glass bottles or Portuguese flattened ovals.

I will have to try it with the Coke. But only a little bit because I actually LIKE Coke.

Meanwhile I have realized that the upside of my misadventure is that if the exact same wine in the exact same bottle had had a Napa label on it, it would have been eighty-five bucks instead of twenty-five.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Absolutely non-standard (at least here in the land of ... well, never mind, it's Friday night). And absolutely captivating.

Clairette 40%
Bourboulenc 30%
Grenache blanc 20%
Ugni Blanc 10%

Also, it glows in the glass. Visibly.

20200529_180721-01.jpeg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Eating at home has helped with the "drink your wine" program. So far we've only had to throw out 3 bottles -- a 2007 and a 2010 that had turned, and a young Niagra (Canada) wine someone gave us which hadn't gone bad but didn't quite taste like wine.

My cellar gets too warm a couple of weeks a year. So 2010 seems to be the tipping point beyond which it's the luck of the draw. We've had a few 2007's and even a couple 2005's and that were still excellent, and even a 2003 that was past its prime but still enjoyable. There is a lot of suspense as the cork comes out.

I've got a few bottles from the 1990s that I'm not sure I can handle the dissapointment of opening.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Tonight's mystery wine. I don't remember buying it, and the few references in the googleverse make me think it mostly sold into the restaurant channel.

It is not a typical big "mike wine", but I quite like it.
20200530_211739.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online