• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Where would you go?

- Wine region [must have reds, so Alsace etc is out]. Preference is for natural wines, fun-experimental styles, reasonably priced. i.e. we aren't going to be buying Hermitage or Grand Cru Burgundy.
- Small town/village with a few places to eat/drink.
- AirBnBs available, we need 6 or more bedrooms.
- Stuff to do besides just wine tour: beautiful countryside, hiking, swimming, walking in cities, etc.
- Not super hard to get to from the continental US.

My now-fiance and I are planning for our wedding. Small -- 10-14 total guests. We'd like to get a cook/chef for a couple of days and the night of. No big ceremony, just a great dinner at our rented home. A week of riding bikes, drinking wine, and being with our families.

Currently investigating: Bordeaux, Southern Rhone, Jura, Porto/Doa/Duoro Valley, Puglia. Obviously, preference is for Europe as we will likely take a week to ourselves after.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where would you go?

- Wine region [must have reds, so Alsace etc is out]. Preference is for natural wines, fun-experimental styles, reasonably priced. i.e. we aren't going to be buying Hermitage or Grand Cru Burgundy.
- Stuff to do besides just wine tour: beautiful countryside, hiking, swimming, walking in cities, etc.

My now-fiance and I are planning for our wedding. Small -- 10-14 total guests. We'd like to get a cook/chef for a couple of days and the night of. No big ceremony, just a great dinner at our rented home. A week of riding bikes, drinking wine, and being with our families.

Currently investigating: Bordeaux, Southern Rhone, Jura, Porto/Doa/Duoro Valley, Puglia. Obviously, preference is for Europe as we will likely take a week to ourselves after.

no real input other than I want to be your friend! :roflmao:

Congratulations! Nice option ... should be a nice lifetime memory which can be cause to have subsequent gatherings!

really, ... Congratulations!!!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
20190922_220848.jpg
I found a sauvignon blanc I really like. It is not a typical SB, though-- tart and tasty but NO grapefruit!

Went great with lobsters in Rockport this afternoon .

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 80634
I found a sauvignon blanc I really like. It is not a typical SB, though-- tart and tasty but NO grapefruit!

Went great with lobsters in Rockport this afternoon .

ooohhhh, that does look quite refreshing

condensation helps the image nicely!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good night for an aniversary

20190923_184841.jpg

Reactions: mdf

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ooohhhhhh @Philpug

Puglia wine! Italian for Pugliese?

pug wine.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sometimes you just connect with a wine. It's not necessarily for any really good reason, objectively speaking. It happens, and that's that. This is one of those.

20191018_193825.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Drink your wine!

On the left is a 2006 Chasseur chardonnay, an exquisite wine I saved for a special occasion, then forgot about, then saved, etc. Yesterday we went to a very high-end tasting as part of the 10th anniversary celebration by our local wine store. I said, you know, we have a lot of good bottles in the basement -- I should cook something and open one. Got some swordfish, remembered the Chasseur. Dug it out of the "reserve section" (behind the main racks in the basement) and opened it. :nono::nono::nono: Too late! Severely oxidized.

So tonight I cooked chicken and risotto and we opened the 2014 Landmark chardonnay on the right. We bought it at the property a few years ago (the nationally distributed ones have white labels). Still in its prime. :)
20191027_230950.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^

Yeah, the chances of a 13yo California chard still being good are pretty tiny. Yes, yes, there are rare exceptions, but they're ... exceptions.

Drink your wine!

Good advice!

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Where would you go?

Loire is the place for natural wines (also very pretty). Can't point you to any specific village or producer (tbh I'm more of a Burgundy Grand Cru guy ogwink), but most of the good ones I've had has come from the Loire Valley. Not that many good natural reds though ... more white, but they're there. Just a little more rare inme.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Loire is the place for natural wines (also very pretty). Can't point you to any specific village or producer (tbh I'm more of a Burgundy Grand Cru guy ogwink), but most of the good ones I've had has come from the Loire Valley. Not that many good natural reds though ... more white, but they're there. Just a little more rare inme.

Loire isn't on the list because the inspiration for this trip is our previous visit to the Loire. We did Sancerre, Cheverny, Vouvray, Chinon and Saumur. Some of the highlights of the trip were tasting reds in Cheverny (at Herve Villamade, Clos tue Bouef), Chinon ( at Baudry and Olfa Rauffault), and Saumur (at Guiberteau). But then, we super dig Cab Franc in general. Few photos from trip here (mostly bike focused rather than wine). https://imgur.com/gallery/O6El6

We are currently leaning towards Cotes du Rhone. Figure we get to drink numerous fun blends, we can day trip to Chateauneuf du Pape for a spendy day, Tavel to drink a bunch of roses, and even up to Mont Ventoux or down to Provence within an hour or two.

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Chateaux Neuf de Pape something completely different ... Côtes du Rhône but very good. See if you can find 2010:s.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Chateaux Neuf de Pape something completely different ... Côtes du Rhône but very good. See if you can find 2010:s.

I really wonder ... if you find a small producer in CduP, can you find a good value, locally? I love CdP but they tend to be pricey. Generic Rhones are ok and affordable but i have never had a really taste one, let alone memorable (in contrast, I have had memorable Riojas for next to nothing).

Actually, of that area, I had really good Gigondas and Vaqueyras. The latter particular are very special for some reason. Anyways, good stuff. @jmeb

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I really wonder ... if you find a small producer in CduP, can you find a good value, locally? I love CdP but they tend to be pricey. Generic Rhones are ok and affordable but i have never had a really taste one, let alone memorable (in contrast, I have had memorable Riojas for next to nothing).

Actually, of that area, I had really good Gigondas and Vaqueyras. The latter particular are very special for some reason. Anyways, good stuff. @jmeb

Not sure about local ”deals”, can ask a friend who’s really into Chateauneufs, but my semi-educated guess — not. They are so aware of their worth and people’s willingness to pay. Roijas on the other hand, some of the best bang inmo.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@Mendieta -- One way to find deals on CdPs is to find produces who are right on the edge of the AOC that still make very representative wines. For example Domaine Jean Royer makes a Le Petite Roy for <$20, mostly declassified vines from right outside CdP. Hard to tell apart from a $40-50 CdP.

Sponsor

Staff online