• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Here is a totally convincing pinot. Could easily be from a back-of-Beaune hill town. I paid $14.99. Apparently there were 50 cases produced. I think I tripped over something. Unfortunately I just had this one bottle and may not be able to get more. Oh well.
Mendocino Ridge is a discontinuous AVA of ridge tops between Anderson Valley and the Pacific Ocean. Its for real, but very little vineyard plantings. Good find. I'd have a hard time coming by it and I live 2 hours away.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Alex Foillard -- son following in his father's footsteps. Strong showing in his first cuvee -- but from what I read the 2018 vintage is pretty money across Beaujolais.

Silky, nice concentration. No brett in this bottle, but still nice earthiness and herbals. If you dig gamay, a decent pickup for ~$20. Little BBQ action with is as our summer garden fades after the first snow.

119156738_3253095334811615_4102667377333265984_n.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I used to work for a food manufacturer that brought in rum and brandy (along with salt) in barrels. They then sold off the barrels to employees. I managed one year to get one. Sawed it in 1/2 and made planters out of them. Best damn tomatoes ever....

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Propane hidden. Mums planted. Now to build a stone fire pit to hold the portable camp stove. Thus far this patio is entirely re-used materials except the planter boxes, pillows and wood to build the frame built for the swing. Need to luck into a few more free skis to build a couple chairs to use the wine barrel as a side table. May break down and actually buy a couch.

The way we've got one setup that we can quickly pack up the fire pit and throw in the van for camping.

And damn does the inside of the barrel smell nice.

119201419_631191337540956_4897527617398660897_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Just so you know, I do drink some high class stuff once in a while...Casa Nueva Carmaenere. Prefect with a grilled filet, grilled red peppers and fried mushrooms.. Any Canucks wanting to join a wine club?? This is one of the wines available!!

Attachments

• casa neava.jpg
    casa neava.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 6

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
this may be the nearest i'll get to a black diamond this season, the season of covid :(

20200922_184112.jpg

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just so you know, I do drink some high class stuff once in a while...Casa Nueva Carmaenere. Prefect with a grilled filet, grilled red peppers and fried mushrooms.. Any Canucks wanting to join a wine club?? This is one of the wines available!!
Do you know the story about Carmenere? The Chileans have had it for donkey's years and thought it was Merlot. Then in 1994 some French viniculturalists came along and did a DNA test on it, and announced that it was Carmenere, a pre-phylloxera wine that had been thought to have been lost ... a fun-ish fact while you slot it back!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Although it has been a while since I have had a Carmaenere. It is one of the reds I do enjoy. A employee of Total Wine was the first to introduce it to me. My brother in law that makes a fair amount of wine has made it and it turned out very good. Maybe I should get a few bottles and reacquaint myself with it.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Do you know the story about Carmenere? The Chileans have had it for donkey's years and thought it was Merlot. Then in 1994 some French viniculturalists came along and did a DNA test on it, and announced that it was Carmenere, a pre-phylloxera wine that had been thought to have been lost ... a fun-ish fact while you slot it back!
Adding: The French who identified Carmenere were ampelographers--an old art of identifying grape varieties by physical characteristics. Leaf shape, hirsutism, bunch shape and characteristics, etc. I do believe it has since been confirmed by DNA as well. But ampelography is alive and well. I wrote many pages back about an ampelographer who identified a 120 yr old vineyard as Cinsault. This saved it from being sold to Gallo as "red" for $175/ton. The vineyard only yields about 1.5 tons/acre at this age. Now it goes into a mid market varietal planting (Michael David I think) and probably sells for $1500/ton or so. The vineyard owner was going to replant to Chardonnay. Now it is known as one of the most distinct "ancient vines" vineyards in CA.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Tell us about nanobubble practices/experimentation?

In the context of the barrel thread drift, I was also wondering how much cellulose acidification actually happens; I suppose methanogenic bacteria are relatively tightly controlled?

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online