• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Some here may know that a major storm came up the east coast of the USA and like many, I lost power at the shore house. So with out power my wine fridge could not keep my wine at a good temperature. I emptied the wine fridge and took them to my main home. But not sure about what Any thoughts from the community about the affect the temperature change will have on the wine?
Some here may know that a major storm came up the east coast of the USA and like many, I lost power at the shore house. So with out power my wine fridge could not keep my wine at a good temperature. I emptied the wine fridge and took them to my main home. But not sure about what to do next, I keep the house at 75 F it is not cellar temperature but not a lot of heat. Any thoughts from the community about the affect the temperature change will have on the wine?

We are having a second line of power robbing storms right NOW.

Drink the delicate summery floral whites first.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Some here may know that a major storm came up the east coast of the USA and like many, I lost power at the shore house. So with out power my wine fridge could not keep my wine at a good temperature. I emptied the wine fridge and took them to my main home. But not sure about what to do next, I keep the house at 75 F it is not cellar temperature but not a lot of heat. Any thoughts from the community about the affect the temperature change will have on the wine?

My understanding is that you should be more than fine. As long as it's not freezing temperatures or ridiculously high temps, for your wines to sleep at a little higher temperature fora few days will have no noticeable impact at all (that is, unless you had a 40 years old first growth that is super fragile, in which case you would probably worry more). I think all that happens is that it ages faster, but the incremental change should be negligible.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Do you have an interior room--one with no outside walls? Usually a closet. Just keep them in there. Temperature fluctuations are much more risk than a little bit of warmth itself. Interior rooms fluctuate less than those w/ outside walls. I don't think you will experience any harm at all.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
My understanding is that you should be more than fine. As long as it's not freezing temperatures or ridiculously high temps, for your wines to sleep at a little higher temperature fora few days will have no noticeable impact at all (that is, unless you had a 40 years old first growth that is super fragile, in which case you would probably worry more). I think all that happens is that it ages faster, but the incremental change should be negligible.
If he had 40 year old first growths, he should gather an ah-so, 3 Riedel Bordeaux glasses, charcoal, prime rib, and prepare for you and I to arrive and assist with, um, liquidation of the damaged assets.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Speaking of cellaring, what are Pugsters using? I have an old Cav-A-Vin that my father bought in 1990. It's noisy and cant' get the temp and humidity where I want it. But it works. At the cottage I have a cool basement, so stuff just sits there till needed.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
If he had 40 year old first growths, he should gather an ah-so, 3 Riedel Bordeaux glasses, charcoal, prime rib, and prepare for you and I to arrive and assist with, um, liquidation of the damaged assets.
Thanks to all that replied, I have nothing older than 7 years old so no issues with anything being close to end of life. I guess it will be fine at the 75 F temp. It might be an "Opportunity" to open a few of those I have been holding for special occasions.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my good friend's sister is a locally well-known "foodie" where she lives (a college town). For her last birthday some of her friends threw her a dinner. Some of the wines served were French with labels marked in (the French equivalent of) "not to be sold in the US, UK, or Australia". Think for a moment and you'll realize when they were bottled.

Apparently some were still excellent. Unfortunately I was not there.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks to all that replied, I have nothing older than 7 years old so no issues with anything being close to end of life. I guess it will be fine at the 75 F temp. It might be an "Opportunity" to open a few of those I have been holding for special occasions.
Oh, well, in that case, I change my answer.

The wines you have been holding for special occasions are deteriorating rapidly. No time like the present.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Speaking of cellaring, what are Pugsters using? I have an old Cav-A-Vin that my father bought in 1990. It's noisy and cant' get the temp and humidity where I want it. But it works. At the cottage I have a cool basement, so stuff just sits there till needed.
The most notable wine collection I know of personally is a MW friend of mine who has been involved in many wine auction houses and has liquidated literally 100s of cellars. He stores his considerable collection in a large close under a stair case. He has installed a small humidifier in the closet. The house has A/C and heat. It is lined floor to ceiling with cheap Ikea wooden wine shelving. If you know which burgundy bottle to tilt down (or up) by the entrance you can turn the light on and off.

Good enough for him, good enough for me. Except my closet doesn't have a humidifier. But my house is better insulated than his :).

The big thing is keep it reasonbly cool (low 70s or lower) and prevent temperature fluctuations. Humidity is nice, but unless you live somewhere very dry, or you are storing truly precious bottles, probably unnecessary. OTOH, if you live somewhere with very high humidity, definitely be sure to leave the a/c on at a level that will run at least every 2-3 hours and ensure that it will circulate where the wine is stored. I've seen many moldy corks and labels in Florida.

Uncle-A

Skier
The most notable wine collection I know of personally is a MW friend of mine who has been involved in many wine auction houses and has liquidated literally 100s of cellars. He stores his considerable collection in a large close under a stair case. He has installed a small humidifier in the closet. The house has A/C and heat. It is lined floor to ceiling with cheap Ikea wooden wine shelving. If you know which burgundy bottle to tilt down (or up) by the entrance you can turn the light on and off.

Good enough for him, good enough for me. Except my closet doesn't have a humidifier. But my house is better insulated than his :).

The big thing is keep it reasonbly cool (low 70s or lower) and prevent temperature fluctuations. Humidity is nice, but unless you live somewhere very dry, or you are storing truly precious bottles, probably unnecessary. OTOH, if you live somewhere with very high humidity, definitely be sure to leave the a/c on at a level that will run at least every 2-3 hours and ensure that it will circulate where the wine is stored. I've seen many moldy corks and labels in Florida.
My ski storage room is both heated in the winter and AC Cooled in the summer. Maybe I should put the wine where store my skis. :)

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

We bought a little unit 9 yeas ago or so. A Le Cache Credenza with a Cellar apro unit around 57F. Works like a dream. Trouble free so far!

20200806_164954_HDR.jpg 20200806_165120.jpg 20200806_165153.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my good friend's sister is a locally well-known "foodie" where she lives (a college town). For her last birthday some of her friends threw her a dinner. Some of the wines served were French with labels marked in (the French equivalent of) "not to be sold in the US, UK, or Australia". Think for a moment and you'll realize when they were bottled.

Apparently some were still excellent. Unfortunately I was not there.
Damn

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If he had 40 year old first growths they'd be from 1980 and this almost certainly trash, if memory serves.

Uncle-A

Skier
I hope you're hoping tuning ski now in August?
If it wasn't for the virus I would be skiing today. Yes today, one of the guys I ski with has a birthday today and we had planned to go to the indoor skiing venue in NJ. But it closed because of the virus and we just have to say wait until next year.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I have a love/hate relationship with my tablet. It likes to change things even after I've hit post.

I hope you're not tuning ski right now in August. How did that become what was posted!!

@Uncle-A - like the man says..."You'll be another year older when you do!"

Sponsor

Staff online