• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not very pinoish

Attachments

• FE439F7C-A216-4EE0-B0B7-EB3B499010A2.jpeg
    FE439F7C-A216-4EE0-B0B7-EB3B499010A2.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 2

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
A case of still wine can range from 33 lbs to 44 lbs. Those oversized bottles not only weigh much more, but take up more room on a pallet. THe thin glass can be as little as $5 a case while the thick stuff . . . I've seen bottles over $20 per case. But the REAL cost is shipping! I literally refuse to buy anything in grossly oversized glass. NOt to mention that it is the wine equivalent of "compensating for something".

In case anyone is tempted to try this during the gym access and weight supply crisis - they make absolutely lousy vessels for casting Indian clubs or gada maces. To get anything over a 4lb club, you need serious funnel skills, lead shot AND a shaker table to get the bubbles out of the concrete. So, a total waste since hardwood is unbeatable for durability, shape variety and grip in the sub-5lb club range

One of the things neurologists have learned about the sense of smell/taste is that it has a chicken/egg relationship with language. They develop together. So the more you taste and talk about it, the more developed and discriminatory your sense of smell/taste becomes.

Ah, but which language? And if we learn Chinese we can get better at and discriminate textures? :duck:

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So if I can talk a good line of BS about wine my taste buds will develop. It seems to me that it is more in the mind than in the glass.

Sure, but, then again, poetry is more in the mind than in the book?

I will admit some wine tastes better than others but that is to individual liking.

Sure, but it is also good to understand the likes of people we might care about - because the alternative is to not understand them, or to patronize them, or both at once.

Oh and you're still being patronizing even if you don't call them a snob - because you're dismissing something they absolutely care about. "Do carry on with your mud pies".

This other pretentious BS is more about being able to charge more for a bottle of wine and feeding the egos of wine snobs. Sorry if this doesn't go along with the sophistication of the wine world it is just one individuals opinion.

Did I ever show you James Hoffman about coffee? A developed sense of taste is a CURSE.
Apologies for those who have seen this already. But it is directly and absolutely on point.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah, but which language? And if we learn Chinese we can get better at and discriminate textures? :duck:

Other than the cheese, everything else mentioned in the linked article are what I considered Chinese testure food.jpg as comfort food. :ogbiggrin:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

Sure, but it is also good to understand the likes of people we might care about - because the alternative is to not understand them, or to patronize them, or both at once.

Oh and you're still being patronizing even if you don't call them a snob - because you're dismissing something they absolutely care about. "Do carry on with your mud pies".

Did I ever show you James Hoffman about coffee? A developed sense of taste is a CURSE.
Apologies for those who have seen this already. But it is directly and absolutely on point.

I dropped this topic a few days ago because no one wins a debate on the internet.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Wedding plans got foiled again since the US can't handle itself like a reasonable nation re:COVID. We had to ask all the family coming in from around the country (a dozen in all) to stay home as we couldn't risk impacting our families or others in a small CO town.

So we're eloping with just two couples in our COVID pod. Staying on a little piece of land with an airstream on it a friend owns. Take out dinner outside under the setting sun (or big tarp if it's raining).

Here's the line-up for wedding afternoon/dinner/evening (not in order of planned consumption)

110314353_377622569868942_638306679439813277_n.jpg

Champagne Sanger
Guiberteau
Francois Cazin (cour-cheverny)
Francois Pinon (Vouvray. This is his botrytis cuvee from 2005, for after dinner cheese).
Villamade (Cheverny Gamay)
Sandhi (by Raj Parr)
Baudry (Chinon)
La Torre (Brunello)
Arpepe (Rosso di valtellina, 1.5L)

Plus toast bubbles and a magnum of 2018 gassac rose (which was the wine we were drinking when we got engaged.)

The upside of canceling family is we now have double of everything here (except the Guiberteau which we brought home from France 4 years ago from our visit with them.) Which means we have plenty of anniversary wines for the next several years.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

A friend--a brewer turned winemaker--once wanted to tell me all about how a beer I mentioned (which he used to make) was made. I cut him off and said (quite honestly) that I want to preserve my ignorance about beer brewing. I want to drink beer blissfully (or relatively) unaware of anything except the coldness, wetness, and flavorness I was experiencing in that moment. Knowing can be its own form of pleasure, but not Dionysian.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I want to drink beer blissfully (or relatively) unaware of anything except the coldness, wetness, and flavorness I was experiencing in that moment. Knowing can be its own form of pleasure, but not Dionysian.

Me too. Herself is already picky enough for the both of us. Of all the stuff in the beer thread there are maybe two that she won't pass over to me at the first sip.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I took Microbiology at U. So Beer, Wine, Antibiotics and of course Covid where part of the studies.

Field trips were to Labatt's in Kitchener, (long closed), Reiders Distillery in Niagara and Inskilllin as Don Z was an alumni.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Some here may know that a major storm came up the east coast of the USA and like many, I lost power at the shore house. So with out power my wine fridge could not keep my wine at a good temperature. I emptied the wine fridge and took them to my main home. But not sure about what to do next, I keep the house at 75 F it is not cellar temperature but not a lot of heat. Any thoughts from the community about the affect the temperature change will have on the wine?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think a one-time, short time temperature excursion will do anything to them.
And 75 is not really that hot. You might shorten the cellar life by a few years if they are at that temperature for a while. Now higher temps, like the 90's, might be cause quick damage.

This is based on my experience with my cellar, which gets too hot sometimes but not for too long, and a previous apartment (many years ago) where we had to keep wine in the sometimes-quite-hot dining room. In my current cellar, 12 to 15 years seems to be the cutoff where you have to cross your fingers as you open the wine. Beyond 15, we've only had a few bottles that survived. In the hot apartment, lifetime was just a couple of years.

(Incidental discovery -- highly acidic whites under screw tops last pretty much forever.)

Sponsor