• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I will have to try it with the Coke. But only a little bit because I actually LIKE Coke.

Meanwhile I have realized that the upside of my misadventure is that if the exact same wine in the exact same bottle had had a Napa label on it, it would have been eighty-five bucks instead of twenty-five.
But hey, it would have also had its own instagram presence. That probably makes it worth it.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
OFC, the non-impossible among us would just be spanish about it and mix it with Coke for a nice syrupy treat :D :D

Are the stupid rustic medicine bottles an official Big Glass product now? Do the ridiculous things have a St. Gobain part number or something? Oh, how I miss the days when I was only irritated by Slovenian art glass bottles or Portuguese flattened ovals.
A case of still wine can range from 33 lbs to 44 lbs. Those oversized bottles not only weigh much more, but take up more room on a pallet. THe thin glass can be as little as $5 a case while the thick stuff . . . I've seen bottles over $20 per case. But the REAL cost is shipping! I literally refuse to buy anything in grossly oversized glass. NOt to mention that it is the wine equivalent of "compensating for something".

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
When first saw them I thought it was a somewhat clever steampunk marketing idea (steampunk = when Goths discover the colour brown). Clever because it's exactly what one sees when Doc Sawbones pulls out his tincture of laudanum.

Upside: less likely to tip over on supermarket belts. Downside: Supermarket wines + people who don't use self checkout != steampunk fan base.

Upside: more effective Molotov cocktails - chances are your fuel/air bomb will make it through the plate glass window. Downside: Your grenade arm better be FIT.

Upside: They roll easier once on side. Going from a ~21cm perimeter to a ~26cm perimeter is like going from 24"x1.00 BMX to 700x35.

Conclusion: these are intended for FIT* steampunk anarchists with financial problems, stuck with a non-specific identity somewhere between late boomer and early millenial. BMX then, gravel now.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
WIP

20200531_194426-01.jpeg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I took a top down photo over a white background to show just how inky this stuff is.
20200531_203403.jpg
Lots of tannin, a viscous mouth feel, some but not a ton of fruit-- some blueberry notes. "This ain't no pinot, this ain't no fooling around"

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing is jumping out at me...:huh:
Is the glass on the left browner than the other? Or is that just the photo or light?

It wasn't a quiz. I was just staring at two very different wines and pondering the fact that neither was cutting the mustard. First world problem. I will try to get back here after work and name the culprits.

And yes. Totally. Wine on left is five years older.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been buying stuff online recently. Results have been mixed to good. This is the first real stunner for the money at about $17.00 (free shipping).

All kinds of lovely berry scents. A little bacon and something fascinating that reminds me of tequila. Despite the lush elements in the glass, not the slightest hint of flab or sweetness or baked qualities or excessive oak. On the finish, good acid and plentiful (but not aggressive) grip. In the old days of Alexis Lichine or Hugh Johnson or Michael Broadbent, this would have been called a masculine wine. Whatever. Maybe it's more like Helen Mirren. It certainly has a spine. Gorgeous.

20200603_180733-01.jpeg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On the other hand, I had the first bad wine in a long time tonight. Not bad as in spoiled, but bad as in "why are we drinking this?" It was part of a token shipment we bought from a friend (or maybe "friend") who is working for a tupperware-esque distributor. Bland, flabby, and tasteless. My wife said "cabernet-flavored water" and I replied, "no, cabernet colored."
20200604_002924.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On the other hand, I had the first bad wine in a long time tonight. Not bad as in spoiled, but bad as in "why are we drinking this?" It was part of a token shipment we bought from a friend (or maybe "friend") who is working for a tupperware-esque distributor. Bland, flabby, and tasteless. My wife said "cabernet-flavored water" and I replied, "no, cabernet colored."
View attachment 103808

Sometimes you can predict when a bottle is going to be a dog.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sometimes you can predict when a bottle is going to be a dog.
To paraphrase @Philpug about skis, "the label doesn't sell the wine, but it can kill a sale."
I might have thought twice if they had put pictures on the list we chose from.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, third attempt at this post on my stupid Android. Next time I'm buying a Gynoid. They're smarter.

I opened an inexpensive old school Barolo tonight. (I know - Who has Barolo on a Wednesday? So sue me.)

It was totally lovely and restored my faith in my own memory of how wines were before the hegemony of fruit and color concentration.

Mostly it just made me realize that it's not the fault of very good wines from storied villages - or their growers - that they are priced like rare jewels because demand from millionaires. Really they are just very good wines and should be enjoyed as such.

Edit: If only good Burgundies were available this cheap! Those don't seem to slip through the cracks in the same way.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
We had to call an audible on our planned wedding to the S. Rhone valley this summer.

As a backup, we're just balling out on good wine for the elopement here in CO. Just ordered the first case.

Francois Cazin, "Cuvee Renaissance" (100% romorantin!)
Lucien Crochet,Sancerre Blanc 2018 (My pops loves Sancerre -- and this was our fav producer to taste with)
Francois Pinon,Vouvray "Cuvée Botrytis" 2005 (Drank this a few years back--a 1996 or 7? vintage--was a revelation)
Herve Villemade,VDF Gamay 2018 (Fun, unadulterated fruit)
Domaine Bernard Baudry,Chinon "Le Domaine" 2017 (classic Cab Franc)
Domaine Bois de Boursan,Châteauneuf-du-Pape "Tradition" 2016 (infanticide I know.)

We'll see if I'm sober enough to post here.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Okay, third attempt at this post on my stupid Android. Next time I'm buying a Gynoid. They're smarter.

I opened an inexpensive old school Barolo tonight. (I know - Who has Barolo on a Wednesday? So sue me.)

It was totally lovely and restored my faith in my own memory of how wines were before the hegemony of fruit and color concentration.

Mostly it just made me realize that it's not the fault of very good wines from storied villages - or their growers - that they are priced like rare jewels because demand from millionaires. Really they are just very good wines and should be enjoyed as such.

Edit: If only good Burgundies were available this cheap! Those don't seem to slip through the cracks in the same way.
You CAN find Burgundies like that. But the French don't let them out of the country.

Sponsor

Staff online