• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Its technically a little dishonest to use it in tasting. A well known wine rep trick is to pop the cork (to let in oxygen) and then shake the bottle up vigorously. When a wine presents reductive (sulfur aroma) or "tight" (just not showing its stuff) this will help. It won't make a bad wine good, but it doesn't really show the wine the way it is drinking right NOW.

A better use of the vinturri would be to show you with and without. IMHO.
It's not like they were hiding it. If customers like the results and have a vinturri at home, I don't see the harm. Other than I don't have a chance to see what the wine actually tastes like.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Somebody who knows wine might have suspected it needed some air, but they wouldn't have known what the potential was at that point. There is a simple device called a vinturri that mixes the wine with air as you pour it into your glass. It seems gimmicky, but it really isn't. Its simpler than decanting and allows you to a/b without having to commit the whole wine. Some older wines can just fall apart quickly with oxygen, so its good to know beforehand.

Leaving a bottle open is slightly different than hyper-aerating (different rates of reaction produce subtly different results). But not radically so.
I have used a vinturri on lesser quality wines and it is surprising how much better they are after the use. I don't know what it is about adding the oxygen to them but after several different verities I have tested I know it works.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
What's everyone using as a normative Petite Syrah these days anyway?

(Yes, I am trying to gauge what kind of monster everyone is picturing when reading the words 'raw Petite Syrah')

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier

(Yes, I am trying to gauge what kind of monster everyone is picturing when reading the words 'raw Petite Syrah')

Ha! Right on point; venturiing may work for some more subtle wines, but not Petite Syrah, because .......
Petite Syrah.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Reactions: mdf

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh, it will affect PS too. Even Tannat. Oxygen is oxygen. No wine can resist it (literally).

While resistance to O2 is indeed futile, it still leaves the issue of why some wines seem to improve with exposure for a brief period before inevitably declining. In my limited experience, it seems to be associated with higher end wines, but I'm still mystified as to what specifically is reacting with the oxygen to actually improve the balance and flavor.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
While resistance to O2 is indeed futile, it still leaves the issue of why some wines seem to improve with exposure for a brief period before inevitably declining. In my limited experience, it seems to be associated with higher end wines, but I'm still mystified as to what specifically is reacting with the oxygen to actually improve the balance and flavor.
Look at my post above that states I use the Venturri on lesser quality wines and it improves the taste of the wine. I think it tends to take the harshness off the alcohol making the wine a little smoother, but that is just me.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Oxygen is a catalyst for the formation of complexes among anthocyanins (pigments), proteins, tannins, and even some volatile components. During the winemaking process we carefully control exosure to 02 to encourage those formations. We don't eliminate it all together as lots of sulfide aromas would develop, tannins would "harden" and precipitate and the wine would oxidize quickly when ultimately exposed to air. But we carefully control it to limit oxidation (formation of aldehydes). The development of those complexes not only stabilizes a wine (making it more resistant to oxidation), but also develops deep color, round tannins, and integrated aromas. That's the short version :).

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Last night was good. Sunshine. Quarantine-pod mates. Beautiful sunset. And cassoulet with homemade sourdough.

The Chianti Colli Senesi was the standout pairing.

But damn is the Cahors a sweet value -- big malbec fruit but no oak bright acidity.
IMG_6647.JPG

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
:rolleyes:

I'm going to ask what a normative Sylvaner is next.
*shrug* we drink Henry Fuchs,

Was that supposed to be a throwaway Liebfraumilch allusion or something?

No, it was just my snotty way of saying "Petite Sirah. Meh." I'm fully aware this is a personal preference thing. Mdf likes it. More power to him. When he comes to my house he knows not to bring it.

Next time, though, neither of us is going to bring anything; we're just going to head over to @jmeb's house with a lovely plate of snacks or something.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
And the thermoflask? Did you decant first, or drink it straight from the bottle?

Double decanted after reverse osmosis and centrifuging.

The latter two have no place in my preferred styles of winemaking.

Sponsor

Staff online