• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Christmas Day dinner. Simple but classic. Roast chicken with riesling giblet gravy. Broccoli. Wild rice. A very delicate Burgundy. What's in the bowl? That's what goes inside the chicken! Apple, celery, shallot, thyme.

20181213_193745-02.jpeg 20181225_174523-01.jpeg 20181225_183536-01.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Now, that's something I'd love to try, a prosecco superiore. How was it?
Prosecco is not one of my drinks, my daughter and wife do like it, but this was one of the best I have tried. It was pleasant in the mouth and did not have any after taste. After I added a little OJ it went down even better. Maybe it is too good for mixing, just use a lesser grade for mixing is what I have been told.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@cantunamunch, help me here will ya'?

Can't help with the sexy reading; that's inherent to that combination of words, soz. :duck:

I do have to admit, I look for slightly more in a prosecco; something that would distinguish it beyond that specific grade of Frascati referred to by some uncharitable drinkers as 'Italian mouthwash'. Mineral finish prosecco is good- especially in a chalky/salty direction and not that "overboiled soup" direction of calcium and mag sulfates- because it gets us ready for the next slice of antipasto. Fruity-front prosecco is also good - that's the aroma that the bubbles carry above the glass, and it means we don't get alcohol burn in our nose hairs as we sniff. Tart-middle prosecco is also good, it makes the fruitiness less cloying, and it lets the wine stand up to the balsamic vinegar we just drizzled over the caprese salad. Get all three and <YUM>

That said, for Mimosas on a holiday morning, I've been known to use cava :eek::rolleyes::doh::rolleyes: and I do take a guilty pleasure in more than a few ex-Soviet sampanskoyes.

Holy cr@p - just took inventory and we have *zero* bubbly - dear me - *sounds battle stations*

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Okay, back to normal life.

Yeah, I was simply saying that in my world a wine that "did not have any after taste" is not worth drinking. If you read a review of a wine that has "a non-existent finish," it's a pan.

But probably it's semantics. I imagine what you were getting at is that it didn't have an after taste that you didn't like. In which case, on with the mimosas. :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yeah, I was simply saying that in my world a wine that "did not have any after taste" is not worth drinking. If you read a review of a wine that has "a non-existent finish," it's a pan.:)

"I sentence thee to a lifetime of drinking Macabeu and still Xarel-lo. Without parole"

Uncle-A

Skier
Okay, back to normal life.

Yeah, I was simply saying that in my world a wine that "did not have any after taste" is not worth drinking. If you read a review of a wine that has "a non-existent finish," it's a pan.

But probably it's semantics. I imagine what you were getting at is that it didn't have an after taste that you didn't like. In which case, on with the mimosas. :)
I think you got it correct with " it didn't have an after taste that you didn't like" and like I said in my first post was "Prosecco is not one of my drinks" and I liked this one. I am sure that @cantunamunch has all the good information in his post above, but I go by the theory if I like it is good for me. I share what I like here and you are welcome to try it and make up your own mind. All the fancy words about wine I find are more hype and marketing to charge more for a product.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I am sure that @cantunamunch has all the good information in his post above, but I go by the theory if I like it is good for me. I share what I like here and you are welcome to try it and make up your own mind. All the fancy words about wine I find are more hype and marketing to charge more for a product.

Just so we're clear on all fronts- since you tagged me - I do describe wine, with words, within a coordinate system that helps me organise things in my own head. That same coordinate system is what I use for pairings and picks, and I do categorise my friends' tastes within that system. That coordinate system may or may not correspond to what others say about the same wine; I don't particularly care.*

And now that the semantics are done - Cheers!

Who's picking what for NYE?

*Well OK, maybe I do, it's so much more tribal when flavour and semantics converge.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
This is good for me on NYE.
3ef30f9ae62ad14e205b976c3ecc3c6d.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is really lovely. I can even get past that inevitable hit of American oak. Very fine but very present tannin. Totally tempranillo. Everything in balance, and there is a spine. Great pairing with mushrooms. Kind of affordable. ($18?) @mdf , we could agree on this one.

20190101_193551.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
At that price point you are better off with Prosecco, something like Lamarca or Mionetto.

I gathered that he doesn't do prosecco. At 2.5x the Freixenet price point, either a cremant or that Gruet that was posted above would give him better mileage, IMO.

I have yet to be converted to cava myself, though @skibob has tried.

FWIW, Pindar was not at all terrible at NYE, especially with salmon/egg/pickle sandwiches.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I gathered that he doesn't do prosecco. At 2.5x the Freixenet price point, either a cremant or that Gruet that was posted above would give him better mileage, IMO.

I have yet to be converted to cava myself, though @skibob has tried.

FWIW, Pindar was not at all terrible at NYE, especially with salmon/egg/pickle sandwiches.

I didn't know Pindar was still around. I have a big soft spot for them, for complicated reasons not all related to wine.

So... There's Cava and there's Cava. This one is pretty nice, with 7 years plus on it. There's a Riesling note that I particularly like.

20190104_182525-01.jpeg

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I didn't know Pindar was still around. I have a big soft spot for them, for complicated reasons not all related to wine.

So... There's Cava and there's Cava. This one is pretty nice, with 7 years plus on it. There's a Riesling note that I particularly like.

View attachment 62184

Catalans know the drink and food.

Sponsor

Staff online