• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks guys and gals

Yeah ... a bit hesitant on trying WSJ club having seen it for last 10 years but thought two they may do a "better" first case.

Not fearful of quitting as its just a phone or on line quit.

We're in a few central coast clubs for vineyards that weren't too common here in iowa but I try to buy most from a privately owned shop in my town. Good guy .. he knows my tastes pretty well

Agree with comments on the lables ... lots of custom labeled bottles but claim was these are findable in shops.

Thanks all!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Good guy .. he knows my tastes pretty well
I used to have a guy like that, but he sold his shop and went into the "doggie day care" business.
It was uncanny how well he knew me -- when we would go into a tasting at his shop, he'd say things like "you're going to like the third wine best today" and be right.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to have a guy like that, but he sold his shop and went into the "doggie day care" business.
It was uncanny how well he knew me -- when we would go into a tasting at his shop, he'd say things like "you're going to like the third wine best today" and be right.

Hey, that could be a win .. both wine and dog care!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
speaking of dogs, oddly it seems my older female Basenji has similar tastes in wine too.

She likes to chew the corks but seems more so those that are from "better" wines. Actually had a few where she didn't care one bit to bust up the cork into pcs .... and they were ones we didn't care too greatly about.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
speaking of dogs, oddly it seems my older female Basenji has similar tastes in wine too.

She likes to chew the corks but seems more so those that are from "better" wines. Actually had a few where she didn't care one bit to bust up the cork into pcs .... and they were ones we didn't care too greatly about.
better/more expensive corks are softer, more pliable.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So. Tell me more about wines that really shouldn't travel: what am I missing if I don't go to XYZ? Is there really such a thing in this day and age? Or is the immersion, the romance of the terroir what really makes the experience?

Let's leave "wines that aren't distributed" to one side for the moment, though I expect to return to them.

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got my first shipment from WSJ and pondered the idea of taste testing them at my local wine shop. The owner can cork wines brought in for a round table and I suspect he'd find it interesting (maybe amusing) to compare tasting notes. He is a Sommelier and teaches classes so it may be fun.

I figure too that WSJ primarily will send non US wines as the exchange rate is more favorable and as noted, they can hit small vineyards and ideally (my hope) choose wines that fare well even if a one time wonder. I am hoping this as one could presume they have some cost advantage as they're not brick and mortar and not warehousing, but I know too direct from vineyard is essentially the same sans the middleman (WSJ - well, the unit not affiliated with the news room)

What would be interesting is their attrition rate for subscribers ... hey, I may of simply replaced the last sucker but then I strive to be an optimist which is hard given my eastern European roots.

anyhow, here's a pics of the shipments ...

WSJ wine 1a.jpg wsj wine 1b.jpg wsj wine 1c.jpg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The WSJ deal comes with some good wines for cheap. If you're a connoisseur you might be disappointed by some of the wines but for the most part it's a solid choice. After you do the deal once or twice they lock you out however the same wines are available here https://www.vinovations.us/flash?sort=pricedesc

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The WSJ deal comes with some good wines for cheap. If you're a connoisseur you might be disappointed by some of the wines but for the most part it's a solid choice. After you do the deal once or twice they lock you out however the same wines are available here https://www.vinovations.us/flash?sort=pricedesc

yeah, I by no means expect to find $100 wines in the box, more simply figured if its a decent wine at 20, 30 or even 40% off that I wouldn't find in Iowa, why not give it a try. Mostly as they vary month to month, bottle by bottle. I'm sure I can find equivalent bargains here at the $15 range but as noted, figure maybe some not found being sold here.

Anyhow, haven't opened any yet but perhaps this Wednesday or this weekend.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Australian wine makers have almost completely gone over to screw caps, mainly Stelvin. A notable hold out is Grange...https://chrisshanahan.com/articles/2007/a-new-seal-for-penfolds-grange/
Screwcap is actually old news. In recent years there has been a swing back towards natural cork. This is because a) natural cork really is a better closure for long term aging and b) after getting thoroughly roasted over TCA contamination 15-20 years ago, the cork producers have dramatically improved QC techniques and protocols.

There are very, very few TCA cases in cork anymore. I have opened exactly two in the last 5 years or so. 15 years ago I could go to a tasting and pick out half a dozen in a few hours.

That said, screw caps are just fine for wine you expect to drink in the next few years.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Screwcap is actually old news. In recent years there has been a swing back towards natural cork. This is because a) natural cork really is a better closure for long term aging and b) after getting thoroughly roasted over TCA contamination 15-20 years ago, the cork producers have dramatically improved QC techniques and protocols.

There are very, very few TCA cases in cork anymore. I have opened exactly two in the last 5 years or so. 15 years ago I could go to a tasting and pick out half a dozen in a few hours.

That said, screw caps are just fine for wine you expect to drink in the next few years.

This is one of the things that I care, because, even though I am no wine collector by any means, i have (and regularly drink) wines that are over 10 years. Point in case, the other day I snapped 4 of a 2007 Sonoma Bordeaux type (Arbor Bench Reflections), at a flash site. Lovely wine, which IMHO might have peaked or may be getting there, but I am sure it can sleep a few. Anyways, I haven't had a corked wine in a looong time. And I do see lovely evolution in time. Basically, I am not concerned about a cork, and then again, I don't and I won't, spend 100's (let alone 1,000's) on a bottle).

I have, however, experienced quite a bit of bottle variability. But that's part of what makes wine magical. There is always the chance that tonight, this particular bottle, will be sublime. And you just enjoy it, ephemeral and precious, as it is :)

Sponsor

Staff online