• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Tonight our friends showed us a bottle that they found when they were cleaning out his father's house after he died a few years ago. It't a 1959 White Bordeaux. The small print at the bottom says that bottles exported to the United States are encased in a tamper-evident wire net. Very cool.
20180825_202234.jpg

But.... white wine isn't supposed to be that color, is it?

20180825_202259.jpg

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Tonight our friends showed us a bottle that they found when they were cleaning out his father's house after he died a few years ago. It't a 1959 White Bordeaux. The small print at the bottom says that bottles exported to the United States are encased in a tamper-evident wire net. Very cool.
View attachment 52013

But.... white wine isn't supposed to be that color, is it?

View attachment 52014

Besides, I really really doubt a white can make it that far? Did you guys try it?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No. its a momento of his father at this point.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Besides, I really really doubt a white can make it that far? Did you guys try it?

It would be extremely unusual for a dry white, yes, although a high-end Graves could conceivably be a long-shot candidate. But I'm talking about something like Domaine de Chevalier or Haut Brion blanc. This wine appears to have been an ordinary negociant blend. (Cruse is -was?- a shipper, not a grower or winemaker.)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Searching on google finds a menu from the 1958 dinner/tasting of "The Wine and Food Society of New York." One of the wines was a "Cruse Graves - 1955". The blurb says

"Cruse & Fils Freres, Bordeaux France: Cruse Graves 1955. The Graves District Produces More Red Wine Than White, But It Is For The Latter That It Is Famous. It Is One Of The Most Popular Of Dinner Wines Because It Is Never Really Bone Dry Nor Is It Really Sweet."

Hmmm... maybe it was the white zinfandel of the 1950's.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Labor day. Sweatshirt and long pants.

20180901_185657-02.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
upload_2018-9-5_8-4-52.png
A friend gave me some of this and it was very nice. I have had many good wines from Portugal.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just had our annual lobster. The interesting thing about eating lobster overlooking the ocean this time of year -- the drawn butter has resolidified before the meal is finished.

The wine is a Chilean 2013 Chardonnay called "Cono Sur". :)rolleyes: I didn't notice till someone said the name out loud.) It was very good and complemented the lobster nicely.

This was BYOB at a spot in Rockport MA called the "Lobster Pool." A great spot with a great view. (Tough parking and getting an outside table in high season, though.)
20180923_162032.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Pork cutlets - so easy to dry out. I'm going to try roasting these later with a piece of uncooked pancetta on top for auto-basting. I'm sure I'll need to sear at least one side, or do something to make them look good, as I don't expect the pancetta will try out and brown before the pork approaches doneness.

Meanwhile ... A really nice Manzanilla.

20180930_174337-01.jpeg 20180930_180652-01.jpeg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Pork cutlets - so easy to dry out. I'm going to try roasting these later with a piece of uncooked pancetta on top for auto-basting. I'm sure I'll need to sear at least one side, or do something to make them look good, as I don't expect the pancetta will try out and brown before the pork approaches doneness.

Meanwhile ... A really nice Manzanilla.

View attachment 54607 View attachment 54608

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

maxresdefault.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

LOL, the only thing I have like that is one I used to use back in the day for pine tarring my xc skis. I'm sure I don't have a canister. Ex got the kitchen version. I'll figure something out.

Sponsor

Staff online