• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I admire amarone. In fact I own a couple that I bought before I realized that I don't actually like them.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Remember when "big" didn't necessarily mean high alcohol?

This wine ... I wouldn't say it was old school, exactly, if is that makes you think attenuated and oxidized. It has plenty of freshness, good color, and fruit. But it's a mysterious, tannic, briary SOB. Alcohol is nominally 12.5. Cabernet Franc, 100% or nearly so. (Note, this is not their Madiran, which is Tannat.) Tastes like Zin meets Bordeaux, but with something more untamed than either. This would be good with something like a cassoulet. Very interesting.

20180524_190506-01.jpeg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Visiting my friends lake house. I made grilled steak tips, grilled zucchini, and fried sun-dried tomato polenta. Served with this monastreil, cab, syrah blend. The cheap gray label is good, but this expensive blue label is out of the world.
20180526_201954.jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about a Cab Sav rose? If you want a budget-friendly, quaffable, party expectation breaker something like Miguel Torres' Santa Digna could work nicely?

It doesn't all have to be over-sugared bland alco-water with a vague notion of strawberries.

Oh, I'm up for trying but have a mental quirk that puts fear and cheapness into me. I guess given alternates I'd simply buy those over the "risky" buy. Perhaps I'm best with trying out in a tasting or single glass ........

: )

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I brought out one of the treasures from the back shelf for Father's Day. We brought it home from a Napa visit about 5 years ago.

How was it? Let's just say "wow".
20180617_185942.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Oooh. P.S., there's some kind of animal on your wine glass, @mdf

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I had this over the weekend it was good but not great, I would have expected better from a Brunello.
upload_2018-6-19_17-53-25.png

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
20180625_200307-01.jpeg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sat on this one by happenstance for fear it'd be rather turned. Finally said, heck, if bad dump it. Turns out it's quite lovely.

Happy 4th!

Dover1.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Sometimes you can not trust the ratings. This was rated 93 points and was about $20.00 and should have been about $5.00.
upload_2018-7-5_8-37-48.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
How cold was it? I'm not a Conundrum fan, but usually when budget whites don't show well it's a question of a) they sat too long or b) they are not at the right temp for the sugar/acid balance to taste right. To this reader, 2015 and a fogged bottle are both danger signs that a budget white will be on the meh-gah spectrum.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Sometimes you can not trust the ratings. This was rated 93 points and was about $20.00 and should have been about $5.00.
View attachment 48798

I agree in general. Now, are you sure the 93 points were for the 2015 vintage? I checked wine.com and they only show a 90 from W. Wong, the guy who used to rate for Bevmo and is a few points over the ratings I tend to trust. His 90 would probably map to Parker 87-88, WS 86-87, and Tanzer 80-85 :)

Anyways, sorry for the bad wine.

Cheers!

Sponsor