• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From Business Insider
Most intense ski slopes in the US

Not surprised Corbets is on there.
Its interesting to the places from the East Coast listed.

1. Corbet's Couloir – Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Teton Village, WY
  2. The Fingers – Squaw Valley, Olympic Valley, CA
  3. Paradise – Mad River Glen, Fayston, VT
  4. Paranoid 4 – Mammoth Mountain Ski Area, Mammoth Lakes, CA
  5. Pipeline – Snowbird Ski & Summer Resort, Snowbird, UT
  6. Rambo – Crested Butte Mountain Resort, Crested Butte, CO
  7. The Slides – Whiteface, Lake Placid, NY
  8. S1 – Aspen/Snowmass, Aspen, CO
  9. S&R Cliffs – Mount Hood Meadows, Mt. Hood Parkdale, OR
  10. White Nitro – Sugarloaf, Carrabassett Valley, ME

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Pipeline at Snowbird isn't lift served, and barely qualifies as in-bounds. Why not add Ciochetti's Ribbon at Alta if a hike is involved. Hairball enough for ya?!?
the_ribbon.jpg

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Why isn't the WROD on the list? Surely an early-season WROD is in the top-10.

The most intense run I've ever done was on a Saturday afternoon in early December in an indoor ski slope here in England. "Batshit crazy" I think is the best way to describe it.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
There should be a double black or two from Magic on here I think. Never been on these are they are way above my pay grade but I've heard they are hair raising.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
There should be a double black or two from Magic on here I think. Never been on these are they are way above my pay grade but I've heard they are hair raising.

These lists are always debatable, as everybody's definition of "intense" is different.. It's been a while since I skied Magic, and definitely recall some entertaining terrain, but I also recall it being short. MRG's Paradise (and a select few others; a few lines in Castlerock come to mind) go on and on. Paradise in particular isn't so much a trail as it a poorly marked area / glade. When you find yourself atop an icefall, you've found Paradise. :eek:

The two hardest (in my estimation) in New England that I've skied with any regularity are Stowe's Goat (from the top) and MRG's Paradise. I have "skied" both three or four times, but I have yet to make a turn on either one of them that is anything other than survival. And I've only skied them in pretty good conditions.

The other New England entry (Sugarloaf's White Nitro) is definitely gut-clenching steep, but it's also a wide-open groomer (or at least it's been groomed the times I've been there). Falling would send you a loooonnnngggg ways. Falling on Paradise or Goat (*)? You won't go that far, but that's only because you'll likely be stopped fairly quickly by either a large rock or a larger tree. Pick your poison?

These "intense ski trail" lists really need "east coast" vs. "west coast" versions.

(*) I believe @Philpug could give a first-hand account of falling on Upper Goat... ;)

:philgoat:

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Rumor at Gore is just a steep wide groomer, but when it’s unedgible it’s possibly the most dangerous spot in the East. The trees on skier’s right of it are safer but way more technical.
Paradise isn’t even the hardest part of MRG. It’s really just one waterfall drop, and often it fills in.

dm

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Paradise isn’t even the hardest part of MRG. It’s really just one waterfall drop, and often it fills in.

I certainly am not an expert on MRG... Are you referring to "on the trail map" stuff, or everything accessible off the lifts? The first time I skied Paradise the waterfall was filled in... the other times, not so much.

Once you start including the "not on the trail map" lines then that opens a whole new world of difficulty... I can think of a couple out-of-bounds lines at Stowe that are solidly in the "hell to the no" category.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@KevinF I think terrain doesn't have to be long to be intense. Magic isn't as tall as some other mountains but it has a larger vertical drop. The doubles are pretty intense. Apparently there's a reason it's called the MRG of the south.

It's all subjective. Lists are just lists.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Why isn't the WROD on the list? Surely an early-season WROD is in the top-10.

The most intense run I've ever done was on a Saturday afternoon in early December in an indoor ski slope here in England. "Batshit crazy" I think is the best way to describe it.

Yeah, most dangerous slope?... Looking back it has to be Any of Vail's catwalks on the lower mountain at 4pm on a weekend day during the xmas holiday... They are SCARY...

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
If it stuffs it's steep.
If it slides it's intense.
If it slides with you in it, it is real intense.

So many different things can vary to alter the intensity of a ski run. What snow, what weather, what viability? The list goes on.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
From Business Insider
Most intense ski slopes in the US

Not surprised Corbets is on there.
Its interesting to the places from the East Coast listed.

1. Corbet's Couloir – Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Teton Village, WY
  2. The Fingers – Squaw Valley, Olympic Valley, CA
  3. Paradise – Mad River Glen, Fayston, VT
  4. Paranoid 4 – Mammoth Mountain Ski Area, Mammoth Lakes, CA
  5. Pipeline – Snowbird Ski & Summer Resort, Snowbird, UT
  6. Rambo – Crested Butte Mountain Resort, Crested Butte, CO
  7. The Slides – Whiteface, Lake Placid, NY
  8. S1 – Aspen/Snowmass, Aspen, CO
  9. S&R Cliffs – Mount Hood Meadows, Mt. Hood Parkdale, OR
  10. White Nitro – Sugarloaf, Carrabassett Valley, ME

Thanks, think you just write part of my bucket list.

Sponsor

Staff online