• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Stopped into the ticket/Pass office in SV. They didn't even know how expensive a walk-up ticket would be this center, but they thought it would be about $125/day and seniors at about $100.

OUCH!

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Many of the Visitors to major resorts drive by or fly over thousands of acres of very good ski terrain to get to their resort of choice. In my experience, one of the most overlooked issues is what is available nearby for those who don't ski. How's the shopping? Are there spas? What about public transportation? Can you get on and off the mountain without being a skier? There are lots of family members on a ski trip who are there because of the family, not the snow. Not sure how you compare the non-skier cost and non-skier experience, but I'm convinced it's important.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Stopped into the ticket/Pass office in SV. They didn't even know how expensive a walk-up ticket would be this center, but they thought it would be about $125/day and seniors at about $100.

OUCH!
If these price comparisons are based on ticket window pricing they are not what customers face in the real world. Almost all larger resorts now have have time and volume based pricing like airlines and other hotels. The most expensive lift ticket and room are the walk up ticket window price. Everything else is less. Some folks certainly can't plan ahead but those that can will save significantly and those who ski more than 14 days, or on off peak times, will save even more.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If these price comparisons are based on ticket window pricing they are not what customers face in the real world. Almost all larger resorts now have have time and volume based pricing like airlines and other hotels. The most expensive lift ticket and room are the walk up ticket window price. Everything else is less. Some folks certainly can't plan ahead but those that can will save significantly and those who ski more than 14 days, or on off peak times, will save even more.

Well it's not quite walk-up prices, but they also aren't counting any kind of pass or multi-day prices... here's what it says :

"The lift pass price is for a full day’s skiing for an adult on a typical Saturday this season, outside of peak periods. These prices were researched in fall 2018 and may include discounts that are offered to customers who buy in advance."

So it's the price of a single day ticket, for a Saturday, outside of peak times - i.e. non-holiday - but bought in advance. So almost walk-up price, but not quite.

Your point still stands that most folks don't actually pay that. Although I have in New England - Okemo for nearly $100, when I couldn't get a Liftopia deal on a Sunday last year.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
SV walk-up varies with which part of season. Last year it got up to $159 over Christmas. Don't remeber for sure other parts of season but think it was about $100 early and late when not all lifts are open.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
I believe it is based off their accessibility to lodging options. I put in Monarch and they had no lodging options. I would consider the monarch mountain lodge close and no results.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Copper's lift ticket price is way too high in the list. No way they are more than Breck. Epic pricing has made it impossible to get a cheap ticket to Vail's resorts. Copper's tickets are substantially lower, and in the past, they have had lots of discounts that you would never find at Vail's resorts.

I totally agree you can discounted Copper tickets several different ways but the walk up non discounted single day ticket can actually be more than $150 now depending on when you go.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I totally agree you can discounted Copper tickets several different ways but the walk up non discounted single day ticket can actually be more than $150 now depending on when you go.

Yes, but the list supposedly used this methodology:
Well it's not quite walk-up prices, but they also aren't counting any kind of pass or multi-day prices... here's what it says :

"The lift pass price is for a full day’s skiing for an adult on a typical Saturday this season, outside of peak periods. These prices were researched in fall 2018 and may include discounts that are offered to customers who buy in advance."

So it's the price of a single day ticket, for a Saturday, outside of peak times - i.e. non-holiday - but bought in advance. So almost walk-up price, but not quite.

The list has Copper's lift ticket at $150.

That's WAY off if you check the actual prices here:
https://book.coppercolorado.com/#/lift-tickets/c/lift-ticket/

Here is a snapshot of the current Copper lift ticket prices for Dec and Jan showing the actual price $105 or less:

copper_lift_tickets_dec_2018.jpg

copper_lift_tickets_jan_2019.jpg

That makes a huge difference where Copper shows up, and how they compare to Breck and the other Vail Resorts with high single day ticket price. I bet if one did a deep analysis a ton of similar inaccuracies would be found.

It's really just a bogus clickbait list, not a real study.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm also seeing garbage data from hometogo in their wheelhouse of lodging.

The Winter Park lodging rate of $74.56 is an obvious anomaly compared to the other Colorado resorts. Betcha they missed the little detail of the Town and the Village both showing up when searching for "Winter Park." Very different products, experiences, and distance from the lifts.

This is what hometogo says about the accommodation price methodology:

"The accommodation price is the average price per person to stay in a 4-person vacation rental found on HomeToGo close to the resort, for one night between the dates of November 17, 2018 and April 20, 2019. Our own metasearch data provided this information."
This isn't exactly peer-reviewed science. :rolleyes:

Sponsor

Staff online