• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most breathable bike helmet?

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
I'm in the market for a new commuter helmet and the #1 thing I care about, by so huge margin that it's basically the only thing I care about, is how cool it keeps my head. I haaaaaate hate hate getting sweaty on my commute and am looking for a helmet that helps with that as much as possible. I've been doing a bit of research but was wondering if anyone here has personal experience with a helmet that they thought was particularly breathable?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The better helmets seam to have more openings for air than actual structure.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Unfortunately, the fact is you're wearing an inch styrofoam insulation on your head..so it's not great. Get a white shell. And there are lots of airy helmets..Giro Aeon or Savant..Specialized Prevail. And then ya got yer helmet hair..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Monique was on a mission to find a well vented helmet last summer. I wonder what she found.
I know that I really like my helmet, which is a Specialized Sierra Helmet, which I wrote about here

I don't typically have issues with heat, so I'm not sure if this is a well vented helmet or if I just don't have to think about it.
For me, it feels like a well vented helmet.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a big fan of Smith helmets for both ski and bike. They are lightweight and some have fantastic ventilation.

I have this one for road in white for the above mentioned reasons.
https://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Men's/Helmets/Cycle/Route/p/HB18-RTMBSM/sizeVariants

And this one for mountain in grey because white would get so dirty in our dust. I think this is what Monique has as well.
https://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Men's/Helmets/Cycle/Rover/p/HB18-RRMCSM/sizeVariants

If I were going solely for the ventilation with no cost consideration I would do their Overtake or Forefront (no brim or brim).
https://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Women's/Helmets/Cycle/c/2420

ETA: Both of mine have the ponytail ports which I also really like as it keeps my hair off my neck.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Kask helmets like the Mojito seem to be the most low profile and vent well. I own the Giro Aeon and its super light and airy, but to me not the most comfortable but great in hot weather.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The Kask Valegro is the most well ventilated helmet I've tried. Their helmets are extremely well made and have better attention to detail than the Bell/Giro and Specialized lids, per my experience (I currently ride with a Kask Protone, which isn't as ventilated but still keeps my head cool in the swampy DC summer weather). I also like the Catlike Mixino (and its sibling, the Whisper Plus) for great ventilation.

Otherwise, the Giro Synthe is well ventilated, and the Giro Cinder is of similar ventilation and cheaper. But for my money I'd go with the Kask or Catlike lid.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Cant comment on the ventilation since it is not an issue for me but my Sweet helmet is great...:thumb:. same quality as their ski helmets

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just got a Smith Vantage bike helmet I really like. I also ski with a Smith Helmet.

TS
RachelV

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Thanks everyone, lots of really great suggestions to check out in here. Looks like there are a handful of Kask dealers in Boulder so hopefully I can find a Valegro to try on... those product pages talk up the ventilation aspect more than any other helmet so really looking forward to checking it out. :)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hands down, any Smith bike helmet with the koroyd (green honeycomb stuff) is the hottest helmet available, this side of an unventilated skate park-style lid.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Unfortunately, the fact is you're wearing an inch styrofoam insulation on your head..so it's not great.
While it's true you are wearing "styrofoam insulation on your head", proper helmets are actually cooler then being without helmet. At least road/xc mtb style helmets. They are designed to actually increase air flow around the head (hope that's right word) and when you are moving, even if a bit slower (on mtb climbs) they actually cool your head with air going in front and exiting on back. That's basically main reason why I don't buy excuse "helmets are too hot to wear them, especially on uphill" for not wearing one. But yes, first this is for road/xc mtb style helmets, and second it's for a bit more expensive ones, so cheap ones you might get in some food store are probably/most likely/for sure not this good. I'm sure more closed enduro/dh style helmets are different.

scott43

Skier
While it's true you are wearing "styrofoam insulation on your head", proper helmets are actually cooler then being without helmet. At least road/xc mtb style helmets. They are designed to actually increase air flow around the head (hope that's right word) and when you are moving, even if a bit slower (on mtb climbs) they actually cool your head with air going in front and exiting on back. That's basically main reason why I don't buy excuse "helmets are too hot to wear them, especially on uphill" for not wearing one. But yes, first this is for road/xc mtb style helmets, and second it's for a bit more expensive ones, so cheap ones you might get in some food store are probably/most likely/for sure not this good. I'm sure more closed enduro/dh style helmets are different.
Meh Primoz..you can drink that Kool-aid, I'm not! :D I've heard this argument before but I'm not buying it!!

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@scott43 it's not that I believe to some PR stuff, especially as mtb it's pretty much just marketing BS :D I have read and heard this quite few times, but never really believed it until few years back, when I actually saw it myself. It was early spring day and it was quite cold, and I went to city with bike. I know I should, but when going to city, I never wear helmet. It felt quite fine so I decided I will go for a ride when I came home. I put my bike clothes on, put my bike helmet on, and went out for ride. First few km were through city, pretty much exactly same road and same speed as half hour before, except it felt super cold in my head, which it didn't before when I went without helmet. Another thing is sun. With helmet you are sort of protected from straight sun, while without your skull is straight on sun. I believe for some that's no big deal, but with my "haircut" having head straight on sun for few hours in middle of hottest summer heat it actually helps :D

scott43

Skier
Maybe..but all I know is when I ride with my helmet on hot days my head is a sopping wet mess. If I ride no helmet, it's at least dry, if somewhat windswept! :D

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I vehemently disagree.

I try new helmets back to back frrequently due to a love of ventilation.

The Smiths are HOT, and I've got two friends that gave up on them due to this issue.

And dozens of interweb reviews that speak to this issue.

YMMV