• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most Attention

Earl Castillo

Skier, Gearhead
Skier
NorCal SF Bay Area & Northern NY 1000 islands area
This was 2011, We were talking about the upcoming 50th anniversary of the Cobra there at Laguna Seca and Pebble Beach / Concourse de Elegance in (Monterey) California. Unfortunately Carroll passed in May 11th the following year (2012).
He was an amazing, brilliant person. Shelby was also a regular at our NorCal Mini Nationals conventions over the years. I was Vice President of the NorCal Regional club at the time.
Anyway this is a pic of Carroll and I in the Paddock at Laguna.

~Earl

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpeg
    IMG_0041.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 3

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Well all my cars seem to fall into the 'cult classics'. So I'm waving (sometimes in the wrong car) to others all the time. Miatas of course but it's ALL Miatas not just the NA. Same with WRXs, all of them including STIs.(sorry no Legacy turbos or Forester XTs!)
Now BMW on the other hand is more generational, so my e30 is talking to all the range from the time period but NOT even to the e36s as they are next gen 3 series. Odd.
Not sure where the BRZ/GR86 all fits in yet. I don't see many even though the first gen was out in 2012. Or maybe the gen one cars go their way and 2nd gen go theirs? We'll see.

But I can only laugh when I'm waving to someone but I'm driving the wrong car...:geek:

How does this work with other cars? Porsche? By the model, by the decade? All...NONE?!

Side note, I don't see many e30 Bimmers in these parts any more. The ones I do see tend to be the Cabriolet versions, I suspect because they were '3rd' cars that saw little winter action. Haven't seen a e30 M3 on the road in quite a while (not counting the parking lot @ Lime Rock!)

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
People stopped waving to other Beemers in the very early 80’s, if that late. I suppose over 40 years later, the same happens again with those cars.

He was an amazing, brilliant person. Shelby was also a regular at our NorCal Mini Nationals conventions over the years. I was Vice President of the NorCal Regional club at the time.
You ever speak about more environmentally friendly cars with him? This was from 2003. He was talking in the interview a lot about natural gas and hydrogen. Electric at that time not much of an option.
———————
Shelby-
“That’s the reason I get so frustrated. It’s my business. I’m building a Cobra now with 900 horsepower. You’ve got to do it to be competitive in the world as it is – profit centered – but I’d much rather be building something that I know is much friendlier to the environment, has rules and regulations that we all have to go by, and competes with the other competitors in something that is much more friendly to the environment. I don’t know … I’m frustrated about the whole thing, but at 80 years old, I know that I’m not going to change anything.

“It will be just like it was in 1966 if we don’t wake up in this country and see what it takes to build automobiles – to build a transportation system – that’s friendly to the environment. It has to be done, but it’s going to take a long time under the present system because the present system isn’t working … on a timely basis.”
———————

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely my blue convertible Beetle. It was an 02 or 04 or something, and basically high school boys saw the open top and blonde ponytail and started watching, until they got a little closer... :roflmao: I got a big kick out it, anyway.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
1000000025.jpg

This is my summer toy, because I have always liked convertibles.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
People stopped waving to other Beemers in the very early 80’s, if that late. I suppose over 40 years later, the same happens again with those cars.

Dammit James, it's Bimmer!

A Beemer is a BMW MOTORCYCLE and has been my whole life. We still wave to those.

When the yuppie's started buying/driving the less sporting variants, that was the end of whole brand acceptance by enthusiasts. But we know what's what!

Oh and electric is still not much of an option!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
20230506_124020.jpg

This might be attracting some attention (hopefully not the wrong kind), but how would I know, since I only stop for gas and only long enough to fill it up. Got a few appreciative comments when I've gone in to use the rest room on a long (about 4 hours) ride.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
As far as attention goes, in High School I drove a bright red 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk I.
No one knew what the hell it was, just like today. This was the full on muscle car era, or perhaps I should say muscle car hand me downs in the later 70's. The parking lots were full of them! Most bought for less than $1k.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Well all my cars seem to fall into the 'cult classics'. So I'm waving (sometimes in the wrong car) to others all the time. Miatas of course but it's ALL Miatas not just the NA. Same with WRXs, all of them including STIs.(sorry no Legacy turbos or Forester XTs!)
Now BMW on the other hand is more generational, so my e30 is talking to all the range from the time period but NOT even to the e36s as they are next gen 3 series. Odd.
Not sure where the BRZ/GR86 all fits in yet. I don't see many even though the first gen was out in 2012. Or maybe the gen one cars go their way and 2nd gen go theirs? We'll see.

But I can only laugh when I'm waving to someone but I'm driving the wrong car...:geek:

How does this work with other cars? Porsche? By the model, by the decade? All...NONE?!

Side note, I don't see many e30 Bimmers in these parts any more. The ones I do see tend to be the Cabriolet versions, I suspect because they were '3rd' cars that saw little winter action. Haven't seen a e30 M3 on the road in quite a while (not counting the parking lot @ Lime Rock!)
On the bike I want to wave at Corvettes. In a car I want to wave at bikes. :huh:

James

Out There
Instructor
Dammit James, it's Bimmer!
Don’t care enough and never have. The distinction has always been dumb. Same company. The brand is reduced to an obsession with an ugly grill everyone hates, yet they keep doing it, and the old aficionados monitor the proper nicknames. It’s a Bummer. ogsmile

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
"Most attention" for me has usually been situational. I got a lot of attention in one of the last versions of the Ford Thunderbird, but that was because I was driving it around before it was available to the public. The perks of being an exhaust development guy back then.

As for stuff I've owned, I rode my 2000 Ducati 996 to work one morning. I always tried to get out before the school bus came but on this day I cut it a little close and the kids were already standing around waiting. For whatever reason some of them were very interested in the bike when in the past it was mostly ignored. I even thought maybe something was wrong?

IMG_2295.JPG

I mentioned it at work and someone asked me if I had seen "The Matrix Reloaded" yet? I had not. When I did it all made sense.

My '66 Mustang convertible got attention. A couple in a Range Rover parked next to it one day and as I was walking towards the car I heard the guy say "...but they are so dangerous" as she was looking at it. Right about then she saw me walking up. I wanted to say it was a tank compared to my other toys but just smiled and nodded instead. She looked embarrassed...

My '74 750GT got a lot of attention, but only from a certain crowd. Bought it for $700, spent a little over three years rebuilding it.
Ride.jpg

I suppose though the one that got the most attention in general was my 907ie.

firstbike.jpg

Early 1991, Ducati was just beginning it's "comeback" and not many people knew what it was. A lot of people who had heard of the brand thought they had gone out of business. I don't think it was particularly attractive but it was different. And the red... holy cow the Italians can do red like no one else. If the clouds were just right it almost looked like it was glowing.

I stopped for lunch one day and parked next to a red Corvette. When I came back out the Corvette owner was standing there staring at it. He told me "I thought I painted my 'vette red, but.... damn..."

I've had bikes I've liked better than the 907 but it probably has the most stories of any of them. Not long after I bought it the 900ss was reintroduced and was much more popular. The 907 seemed like a forgotten step child as the years went on but it turns out it had a following. I took it to a vintage bike show that was featuring Ducatis and I was surprised at the attention it got. It even got into a magazine.
CB907.jpg

It ended up being a garage queen so I finally sold it. It had a lot of sentimental value but I haven't regretted getting rid of it - it's been through three owners that I know of since then and is still sporting the same tires it had on it when I sold it, so no one else is riding it much either. One of the new owners tracked me down to see if i wanted it back.... Nope.

The 996 on the other hand??? Kinda wish I had kept that one, I kept track of it for a while and if someone offered it up to me now I might have to consider it... I owned it for 17 years, put a little over 7000 miles on it. It was the worst streetbike I ever owned. SUCKED in traffic or around town. Under 25mph you had to slip the clutch, but the flip side to that was it'd do about 70mph in 1st gear. And when the situation was right for it? Dang... I've had faster/more powerful bikes but nothing that ran as well as that one. Something about it was just right. As long as you didn't care about speed limits and that sort of nonsense. In 30+ years of this stuff it's the only bike I'd think about buying back. But it would have to be my old one. I told the last guy who bought it that if he ever wanted to sell it...

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online